The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge - getting into popular colleges

Hi,

I've recently been offered a place at Cambridge to do a PhD, although my application hasn't been sent to the colleges.

Initially my application did not list very popular colleges, as 1) I thought the chances of getting in are near to none, so why make it impossible with a popular college, 2) I hadn't been able to visit the colleges before applying due to the travel costs. I now see that your chances of admission and college choice are two separate matters, and don't want my previous lack of self-confidence influence what I really want.

During my interview day, my supervisor took me to their college. I would like to apply here instead, especially as there is more funding for fieldwork (my thesis is fieldwork heavy) and the atmosphere is very nice and my supervisor is here

If I wish to change my preferences to St Trinity/St Johns and Christ's, what are my chances of being selected?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EddyMarine

Virtually nil. You won't be allowed to change your choices and Trinity and St Johns are almost certainly full by now. Your only chance is to see if your Supervisor will ask for your file to go to their own College, but that's pretty rare and many Supervisor's won't do it. There's no advantage in being in the same College as your Supervisor, and if you are just hunting the money - welcome to the world of the PG, so is nearly everyone else.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending