Watch
Batman2k1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,
I need some help about UMS points for A level maths
I know that in a level maths there is Pure 1 Stats 1 Mech 1 and repeat for A level for #2.

I know as exams is at the end of 2 years with A level content.

Im confused on how much would i need to get An A or a* minimum.
I also do Physics chemistry AQA A level.
I'm confused and need help.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Batman2k1)
Hi there,
I need some help about UMS points for A level maths
I know that in a level maths there is Pure 1 Stats 1 Mech 1 and repeat for A level for #2.

I know as exams is at the end of 2 years with A level content.

Im confused on how much would i need to get An A or a* minimum.
I also do Physics chemistry AQA A level.
I'm confused and need help.
Nobody knows what raw mark will be needed in new Linear A level maths to achieve a specific grade. After the papers are taken and marked, the examiners will analyse the results and determine what the grade boundaries should be, exactly as they do at GCSE now. Grade boundaries will vary from year to year.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The UMS is not used for linear A levels and the subjects you are asking about are all linear A levels. How you do in individual exams is not important, what matters is your total mark across all the A level exams. If you do well enough then you get an A or an A*
Batman2k1
Rep:
?
@Compost & @ gdunne42 Oh right. So, the first group of people first doing the linear a level exams are just a experiment for the grade boundaries? I get it now. thanks

But what's a good percentage to aim for to get maybe a B and an A and an A* for Physics Chemistry AQA and Maths AQA a level? Would it be 80% for A or something...

The results i get in my first year in a level would not count. But would the university like to know what i got for the mock as level or would they not care which is alright with me?

And are the as level and a level content separate from each other, and are assessed in different papers? I think there are 3 papers for Maths for AS at the end of two year course where it's just as content i think.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
@Compost & @ gdunne42 Oh right. So, the first group of people first doing the linear a level exams are just a experiment for the grade boundaries? I get it now. thanks

But what's a good percentage to aim for to get maybe a B and an A and an A* for Physics Chemistry AQA and Maths AQA a level? Would it be 80% for A or something...

The results i get in my first year in a level would not count. But would the university like to know what i got for the mock as level or would they not care which is alright with me?

And are the as level and a level content separate from each other, and are assessed in different papers? I think there are 3 papers for Maths for AS at the end of two year course where it's just as content i think.
Maths only changed in September 2017 so we don't know grade boundaries at all; has your teacher not explained this to you? Other subjects, like Physics were already changed to linear.

AS and A level are assessed separately. I would suggest you download the specification from the exam board website to understand the new system.
Batman2k1
Rep:
?
Oh okay. My teachers has not been very clear on this, i just got confused, but now i understand it now.

is 80% around an A, and A* 90% for AS Level or something? Would it be higher for a level? I know there are no grade boundaries, but i want to have an aim to get for each past paper i do or something.
Can someone help me on this..
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
is 80% around an A, and A* 90% for AS Level or something? Would it be higher for a level? I know there are no grade boundaries, but i want to have an aim to get for each past paper i do or something.
Can someone help me on this..
You can see what the grade boundaries were for AQA AS and A level Chemistry and Physics last year here http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...oundary-tables This is the same specification as you are studying.

You are the first year taking linear Maths so there are no past grade boundaries to check.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not an experiment. It's for real. And boundaries will be calculated to take into account the prior attainment of the cohort (ie how well they did in the subject at GCSE).

https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/03/3...-new-a-levels/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Batman2k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It's not an experiment. It's for real. And boundaries will be calculated to take into account the prior attainment of the cohort (ie how well they did in the subject at GCSE).

https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/03/3...-new-a-levels/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, So, for people who take linear exams after me, will have the same marking system
"boundaries will be calculated to take into account the prior attainment of the cohort (ie how well they did in the subject at GCSE)."
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks, So, for people who take linear exams after me, will have the same marking system
"boundaries will be calculated to take into account the prior attainment of the cohort (ie how well they did in the subject at GCSE)."
I don't see why not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise