The Student Room Group

French GCSE Writing

For French GCSE, is it possible for me to just write paragraphs on each topic that are around an A* level and then just memorise them. Also should I write complex phrases and memorise these as well.

If so, can anyone tell me any good complex phrases or where to find them.
Also can anyone predict what topics the writing tasks will be on in the 2018 9-1 AQA paper.
yes that is the technique most people use. i've heard it's harder to do it with the new gcse but it's what i've done/plan to do for my gcse (i'm on edexcel btw)
Original post by Jman10101
For French GCSE, is it possible for me to just write paragraphs on each topic that are around an A* level and then just memorise them. Also should I write complex phrases and memorise these as well.

If so, can anyone tell me any good complex phrases or where to find them.
Also can anyone predict what topics the writing tasks will be on in the 2018 9-1 AQA paper.

I'd imagine this would be quite difficult. I'm not sure how many topics there are exactly, but I doubt it's feasible to prepare yourself for every single topic.

By all means, have pre-prepared sentences and phrases, but do be prepared for a question that may catch you off guard, otherwise you'll be potentially sitting in an exam clueless. In that case, writing anything relevant would be of help.
Have any of you done a writing question on festivals and celebrations in French gcse. It would be of great help
Reply 4
I don't reckon you could get away with it. Sure, learn some sentences if you want, but if you look at the samples they have some weird ass questions, and theres no point preparing for everything on the level of competing in a linguistics competition.
that's exactly what i do- i got an 8 in my mocks. I've managed to remember around 10 a-level phrases, such as quand j'y reflechis or il faut regarder les choses du bon cote..etc. also, what i do before each writing excersise is write a checklist with fancy phrases i need to include, or what tense i should use. make sure you try use tenses such as the conditional, imperfect, and maybe even subjunctive and pluperfect. hope this helps!!!
Original post by georginamay2002
that's exactly what i do- i got an 8 in my mocks. I've managed to remember around 10 a-level phrases, such as quand j'y reflechis or il faut regarder les choses du bon cote..etc. also, what i do before each writing excersise is write a checklist with fancy phrases i need to include, or what tense i should use. make sure you try use tenses such as the conditional, imperfect, and maybe even subjunctive and pluperfect. hope this helps!!!

Have you got any more high level phrases and translations? I’ve never got higher than a 5. :/
Original post by georginamay2002

Do you think you could show me an example of your checklist? Please I need help so bad I’m failing 😭
1CD25858-3512-4347-82C6-B873D16CD180.jpg.jpeg 8151B178-8FE6-4369-A888-CBE2A1AD0A43.jpg.jpeg
does anyone know any good phrases that include the subjunctive and pluperfect tense? I don't want to learn the whole tense, but just a couple of phrases using that tense, so it looks like a know a lot lol.

Thank you so much xxx

Quick Reply

Latest