The Student Room Group

Oxford History bad GCSEs

I want to study History but I am concerned my GCSEs will hinder my chances.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Hollyandherson
Here is some information about my academic background:
I received (the equivalent of): 4A*, 2A, 4B, D. (the D was in Spanish - so irrelevant to my course)
I know that Oxford look at your performance contextually and I went to a (very) bad school and my results were way above average (I received the highest proportion of A* grades in my entire year group). I also have extenuating circumstances.
For A levels I have moved schools and have just received A* AA prediction.
Do I stand a realistic chance?

Don't worry I was in the exact same boat. I did well in my interview. Did well in my A levels and got an offer for medicine. I got 5A*. 4As, 2Bs and a C for GCSE btw and again from a bad school
Here is some information about my academic background:
I received (the equivalent of): 4A*, 2A, 4B, D. (the D was in Spanish - so irrelevant to my course)
I know that Oxford look at your performance contextually and I went to a (very) bad school and my results were way above average (I received the highest proportion of A* grades in my entire year group). I also have extenuating circumstances.
For A levels I have moved schools and have just received A* AA prediction.
Do I stand a realistic chance?

I got 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs at GCSE, AAAC at AS, and A*A*A at A2.... I'm an Oxford history graduate, and am currently studying for a master's in History of Art at Ox!

Please don't worry about GCSEs... you stand a very realistic chance. The tutors will examine your profile holistically, including a range of exam results, interview scores, submitted work etc. When you get to interview that is the stage that matters most. Good interviews and solid AS/A2 grades make a huge difference.

GCSEs are contextualised, so know that your success is relative to your peers at school.

I've worked with admissions tutors on open days and would strongly encourage you to apply.
Reply 3
Original post by colourtheory
I got 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs at GCSE, AAAC at AS, and A*A*A at A2.... I'm an Oxford history graduate, and am currently studying for a master's in History of Art at Ox!

Please don't worry about GCSEs... you stand a very realistic chance. The tutors will examine your profile holistically, including a range of exam results, interview scores, submitted work etc. When you get to interview that is the stage that matters most. Good interviews and solid AS/A2 grades make a huge difference.

GCSEs are contextualised, so know that your success is relative to your peers at school.

I've worked with admissions tutors on open days and would strongly encourage you to apply.

Thank you so much! I feel a lot more secure about applying now. Is there anything that I can do to help prepare for interviews?
Reply 4
Original post by DrXavier
Don't worry I was in the exact same boat. I did well in my interview. Did well in my A levels and got an offer for medicine. I got 5A*. 4As, 2Bs and a C for GCSE btw and again from a bad school

Thank you! Well done on your offer!
Original post by hollyandherson
thank you! Well done on your offer!

good luck!!!
Thank you so much! I feel a lot more secure about applying now. Is there anything that I can do to help prepare for interviews?

I recommend that you think out loud as this will allow the tutors to understand your mode of thinking. There is no 'good' or 'bad' way of thinking per se, but rather you will be assessed to determine your perspective on a particular historical problem. For example, I'm heavily influenced by phenomenology and art history and think about historical issues in spatial terms which allows me to identify problems and solutions that are otherwise obscured. You might not have a developed methodology as an a-level student, but you should be aware of the utility of various approaches, including feminism, marxism, top-down, bottom-up etc.

I would also encourage you to understand patterns of thinking as external to your personal intellectual ability. If a tutor offers you a piece of information and asks if you might approach a historical problem differently, that is not a reflection of your aptitude and instead an opportunity to assess the strengths and limitations of the methodology to which you have thus far referred. They are looking for adaptability and a willingness to pursue the most convincing or rewarding path of argumentation. You are not being tested on your capacity to cling to an answer until the bitter end. Some students think that you are being examined on the strength of your convictions, which is certainly not true.
Reply 7
I’m checking back into this thread having received an OFFER ! To future applicants: do not stress about GCSEs - I am living proof they don’t matter much.
Original post by username3756768

how? which college? was the school well below average (check in the gov website)? What A level grades? I am wondering because I also want to apply to medicine, but with 3A*'s 2A's, 1B and 1C.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending