Has Theresa May made the role of the PM more presidential?

Watch
username1987655
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MediaROCKS)
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Maybe find out what the term more presidential means and then examine her conduct as PM.

Short answer imo is NO, but argue either way as long as you back it up.
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Maybe find out what the term more presidential means and then examine her conduct as PM.

Short answer imo is NO, but argue either way as long as you back it up.
Thank you!!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Thank you!!!
Look in particular of when she formed her first cabinet and articles n leadership style.
11LOrmston
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Hmmm. Good question!

Looking at her GE 2017 campaign, yes. The focus on the Theresa May brand as opposed to the Conservative party put her at the forefront of the campaign and almost ignored the other 300+ MPs she wanted to get elected. The TM branding at speeches and her bus as well as 'Strong and Stable Leadership under Theresa May' put too much of a focus on her and was VERY presidential - contrast it with the Trump 2016 campaign.

Her leadership at the moment I'd say is slightly presidential. She's at the forefront of some campaigns and Conservative branding but she needs to bring her cabinet in to the picture a bit more to resonate with the traditional PM look of a government.

She also seems to act as a president when the nation is in crisis. Her response to the Salisbury Nerve Agent Attack aimed to put her in the spot light of bringing peace and reassurance to the nation (what a president does alike GWB in 911 and BO in Hurricaine Sandy). Although this is her job, the Queen should be doing most of it but TM seems to be slightly taking over which would be seen of a president.
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by 11LOrmston)
Hmmm. Good question!

Looking at her GE 2017 campaign, yes. The focus on the Theresa May brand as opposed to the Conservative party put her at the forefront of the campaign and almost ignored the other 300+ MPs she wanted to get elected. The TM branding at speeches and her bus as well as 'Strong and Stable Leadership under Theresa May' put too much of a focus on her and was VERY presidential - contrast it with the Trump 2016 campaign.

Her leadership at the moment I'd say is slightly presidential. She's at the forefront of some campaigns and Conservative branding but she needs to bring her cabinet in to the picture a bit more to resonate with the traditional PM look of a government.

She also seems to act as a president when the nation is in crisis. Her response to the Salisbury Nerve Agent Attack aimed to put her in the spot light of bringing peace and reassurance to the nation (what a president does alike GWB in 911 and BO in Hurricaine Sandy). Although this is her job, the Queen should be doing most of it but TM seems to be slightly taking over which would be seen of a president.
Thank you for this very detailed response!!!! What do you think about the decline of cabinet government if you have time?
Wellnowhe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well... Theresa May is more presidential as the campaign focussed on her being strong and stable than the party as a whole, as a matter of fact her manifesto criticism on dementia tax rile up voters but the attacks were made against her directly in the debates on the tv she was shown as weak being unable to turn up

Theresa may also was the head figure in the European Council as the U.K. was a member of the Eu, thereby she’s more presidential as she has this position of authority the Cabinet doesn’t infringe upon.

Theresa May is more presidential as the media’s remarks were on her and against Corbyn not about the party’s

Though she isn’t looking at her weak minority government
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wellnowhe)
Well... Theresa May is more presidential as the campaign focussed on her being strong and stable than the party as a whole, as a matter of fact her manifesto criticism on dementia tax rile up voters but the attacks were made against her directly in the debates on the tv she was shown as weak being unable to turn up

Theresa may also was the head figure in the European Council as the U.K. was a member of the Eu, thereby she’s more presidential as she has this position of authority the Cabinet doesn’t infringe upon.

Theresa May is more presidential as the media’s remarks were on her and against Corbyn not about the party’s

Though she isn’t looking at her weak minority government
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.17%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.05%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.42%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.96%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads