The Student Room Group

A future of LDR

Me and my girlfriend have both applied to university and somehow we both got unconditional offers! The only problem is, my university is 233 miles south of hers. Any advice on long distance relationships is greatly appreciated
(edited 6 years ago)
Communicate. Every day. As much as you can. My boyfriend is in the US I'm in the UK. Video call and message when you can and tell each other everything even down to what kind of cereal you are eating. Don't be afraid to tell each other you're finding it hard but don't give up easily. Trust each other and respect each other.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Communicate. Every day. As much as you can. My boyfriend is in the US I'm in the UK. Video call and message when you can and tell each other everything even down to what kind of cereal you are eating. Don't be afraid to tell each other you're finding it hard but don't give up easily. Trust each other and respect each other.
Wow! If you guys can manage with the Atlantic ocean between you, then my comparatively small stretch of England shouldn't be much of a hinderence! Thank you for your advice, and i will definitely try my best 😁
Think we all know where this is heading....
Reply 4
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Think we all know where this is heading....

Where do you think it's heading?
Original post by Bencowell2k
Where do you think it's heading?

Dumpsville
Reply 6
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Dumpsville

Well, i guess that is a likely consequence, but there is a chance that it will work. Especially when i consider that me and my girlfriend are both caring and understanding people, and we care about each other a lot, and we will put a lot of effort into maintaining our relationship.
Reply 7
I was in a long distance relationship for 2 years before I moved to London to be with my significant other. We were 8 timezones and 6000 miles apart but it worked out in the end. We're still together and very happy.

It's really important you TRUST EACH OTHER and communicate as much as you can. You'll be living separate lives so you should try to constantly update each other about what is currently happening in your lives. That way the other person can still feel involved in your life.

People will tell you it won't work, but you need to believe it will. And if you don't believe it will, then don't get into it at all. It will not work. Most importantly, you need to set realistic goals regarding how you plan to end long-distance. Let's be real here. It will not work out if you stay separated forever. Make a plan to be with each other again after university.

Hope that helps.
Reply 8
Original post by teeeth
I was in a long distance relationship for 2 years before I moved to London to be with my significant other. We were 8 timezones and 6000 miles apart but it worked out in the end. We're still together and very happy.

It's really important you TRUST EACH OTHER and communicate as much as you can. You'll be living separate lives so you should try to constantly update each other about what is currently happening in your lives. That way the other person can still feel involved in your life.

People will tell you it won't work, but you need to believe it will. And if you don't believe it will, then don't get into it at all. It will not work. Most importantly, you need to set realistic goals regarding how you plan to end long-distance. Let's be real here. It will not work out if you stay separated forever. Make a plan to be with each other again after university.

Hope that helps.

To be honest, we do things like that now (still living in the same city), so we'll definitely make the extra effort at uni, plus the most likely thing to happen after the LDR period, is probably that we both go back to live with our parents; both in the same city as usual👍. And the fact that you succeeded with 6000 miles in between you, gives me hope to say the least 😁

Quick Reply