The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History 1C The Tudors: England 1485-1603 7042/1C - 06 Jun 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hristina5
My teacher predicted the same this, her also not very good at teaching in a way that i understand or that the information sticks, *sigh* but we got this just keep revising til the last day and make sure you get enough rest before the exam that's my plan
Guys, please sleep well the night before, at least 8 hours. and HAVE BREAKFAST
Anyone got anymore predictions.
what do people think the sources will be?
because my teacher said it could be Henry viii as it hasnt really come up but the AS paper's source was on Henry viii too so??
Has anyone got any advice? I really feel like I am going to fail this exam, I feel so under prepared
hey guys, tudors is undoubtedly my worst topic - i just find the breadth of the period so hard to capture in my essays!

does anyone have any tips for any of these issues?
- structuring essay paragraphs
- structuring source questions
- analysing sources
- what to revise for each monarch (there's just so much aa)

sorry ik i'm a mess but u kno i'm in this deep tysm in advance
If it's unlikely that a mid-Tudor crisis question will arise, does that mean there won't be an essay question on Edward VI and Mary? Surely you cannot write a whole essay on one or the other because their reigns are so small. Would it be a more specific thematic question to tie them together? Such as "Tudor government was more characterised by disorder than order from the years 1549 - 1558" ?
Original post by Broadbank
If it's unlikely that a mid-Tudor crisis question will arise, does that mean there won't be an essay question on Edward VI and Mary? Surely you cannot write a whole essay on one or the other because their reigns are so small. Would it be a more specific thematic question to tie them together? Such as "Tudor government was more characterised by disorder than order from the years 1549 - 1558" ?

Hi,

For any breadth study you need to cover a minimum of twenty years so your question would be unlikely. I personally don't do the Tudors for my course so this might be a wrong suggestions but a potential question could be 'Elizabeth's reign was more characterised by disorder than orders. To answer that question you would split it into political disorder e.g. revolts and governmental opposition, religious disorder vs religious order and economic 'disorder' and 'order'.

Hope this helps

Elise
Original post by Broadbank

in my school we were told that even though the mid tudor crisis cant come up as a source they can ask questions top and tailing it with Henry or Elizabeth, so they could ask something about Tudor government in the years 1530 to 1558 or something like that or religion so it still covers the range of the years but isnt just on Mary and Edward
Original post by maddieboris
in my school we were told that even though the mid tudor crisis cant come up as a source they can ask questions top and tailing it with Henry or Elizabeth, so they could ask something about Tudor government in the years 1530 to 1558 or something like that or religion so it still covers the range of the years but isnt just on Mary and Edward

Ohh I see I what you mean. Recently we looked at the question: “Despite a change in authority, England remained a largely Catholic country in belief and structure between 1547 and 1564” so this might be an example of that

Thanks
Reply 30
Does anyone have any ideas what might come up? Our teacher didn't give us her predictions? Apart from the Henrican Reformation and Elizabeth foreign policy which people are saying might come up are there any other ideas?
Do you guys think Edward and Mary will come up?
Original post by saskiasomanah

Original post by saskiasomanah

My prediction is that a question about a change
in religion will tie both Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I & Elizabeth I together , starting from 1534 - 1558. Perhaps something like “despite a change in authority, England remained catholic in belief and structure from 1534 - 1558” . This would give you opportunities to talk about the shifts from Catholicism to Protestantism & argue whether by Elizabeth’s religious settlement the county had indeed changed ? Just a thougt
Original post by CoolCavy
Definitely agree, did A2 history last year and was told to never say that :yes:

Yeah, I'd advise not to vaguely detail 'some historians'. However, without knowing the names of the big hitters like Geoffrey Elton, Christopher Haigh and John Guy, you can use the term 'traditionalist' and 'revisionist' when relevant: like with Mary's reign - traditionalist='Bloody Queene Mary', revisionist=reign would've been much better if her reforms had time to come into fruition.
Original post by Hbroadbank
My prediction is that a question about a change
in religion will tie both Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I & Elizabeth I together , starting from 1534 - 1558. Perhaps something like “despite a change in authority, England remained catholic in belief and structure from 1534 - 1558” . This would give you opportunities to talk about the shifts from Catholicism to Protestantism & argue whether by Elizabeth’s religious settlement the county had indeed changed ? Just a thougt

For the 2017 A2 paper, style of government was a source question which amalgamated Henry, Edward and Mary, so I don't know whether any 25 markers will be as conjoined between monarchs - but if it's about religion and society it always has breadth, so maybe. I really hope there's a twenty five marker on Mary though, it's such a short narrative.
Original post by Connie1123
Can anyone help me out, my teacher for this side of the course is really not very good at all. What we are taught in class doesn’t match up with the AQA textbook, and neither of these match with the Lotherington textbook which my school recommends. What does everyone else use to revise with?

For the extra information regarding examples and details, I used John Guy's 'Tudor England', which was exceptionally helpful. History Learning Site is generally informative and is well written by CN Trueman. Google it :smile:
Reply 36
How specific do we need to be when using evidence in our essay? For example, if I said that the Tudor Government has been in debt- do I need to state the exact/approximate amount or can I get away with making just the statement. I know it’s good to learn dates of treaties, policies etc but interested to know about other specific information.
Original post by vik_k1
How specific do we need to be when using evidence in our essay? For example, if I said that the Tudor Government has been in debt- do I need to state the exact/approximate amount or can I get away with making just the statement. I know it’s good to learn dates of treaties, policies etc but interested to know about other specific information.

Hi,

Depending on the sort of level you are going for you need the detail. If you are going for level fours you can get away with not backing up every statement. If you are going for a top level five it is a necessity to have evidence for every single statement you make.

Have a look at the markscheme, That might be of help

Elise
Does anyone know what came up on the AS paper in May ?
Original post by vik_k1

I personally reference relevant figures, it really enforces your point. However, figures shouldn't be referenced too much in one point: you've only got around 5-10 minutes per paragraph in a twenty five marker - substantial judgement is just as important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending