A Level options, do you wish you chose differently? Watch

fr.fr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Now we're in March and the end of year 12 is coming (so fast!), do you wish that you chose different a levels or could change any? If so, what would you change to?

Myself, I do biology, chemistry and history but I wish I chose psychology instead of history
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes! I picked combined English, Psychology and Spanish but wish I picked English Lit, Biology, Spanish and Psychology!
fr.fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebells1)
Yes! I picked combined English, Psychology and Spanish but wish I picked English Lit, Biology, Spanish and Psychology!
How is psychology, I so wish I was doing that right now!!
Biology is quite good - why would you chose it though?
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by fr.fr)
How is psychology, I so wish I was doing that right now!!
Biology is quite good - why would you chose it though?
Gonna be honest - I love the debates and areas in psychology, but my exam board OCR is so dull in terms of content! It's just core study after core study - although luckily we do mental health next year and aspects of child and criminal psychology. Would much rather have studied the AQA spec though as it is far more stimulating so I hear!

Biology - I liked it at GCSE but never saw myself wanting to do it at a level. But when it looked at my friend's textbook and at the career pathways it might have opened up (if i dont pursue english) I wish I had considered it - is it as interesting as it looks?

As for wanting to do eng lit instead of combined - I really want to English at uni and god, the combined course really does not prepare you. You literally just state "ooh look an evaluative adjective!" "Ooh a noun!" Whereas the literature students go into the historical and social contexts of the texts they read. Biggest mistake I made tbh, really worried about applying with this to Russel groups (they say they accept it but it's just so simple compared to lit)

Ugh so wish I'd been informed at enrolment but hey I gotta stick with it sadly :/
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Im in year 13 and after picking English Literature, English Language, Film Studies and Drama and Theatre Studies for AS and dropping literature before A2 I wish I picked Sociology instead of Drama, not because its limited my options but because it's very hard to work with people in groups constantly. Sociology would have probably have been more beneficial for what I'm doing in the future.
fr.fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebells1)
Gonna be honest - I love the debates and areas in psychology, but my exam board OCR is so dull in terms of content! It's just core study after core study - although luckily we do mental health next year and aspects of child and criminal psychology. Would much rather have studied the AQA spec though as it is far more stimulating so I hear!

Biology - I liked it at GCSE but never saw myself wanting to do it at a level. But when it looked at my friend's textbook and at the career pathways it might have opened up (if i dont pursue english) I wish I had considered it - is it as interesting as it looks?

As for wanting to do eng lit instead of combined - I really want to English at uni and god, the combined course really does not prepare you. You literally just state "ooh look an evaluative adjective!" "Ooh a noun!" Whereas the literature students go into the historical and social contexts of the texts they read. Biggest mistake I made tbh, really worried about applying with this to Russel groups (they say they accept it but it's just so simple compared to lit)

Ugh so wish I'd been informed at enrolment but hey I gotta stick with it sadly :/
For me personally, what you had with biology the whole not seeing your self doing it at a level, was that with me and English and I'm glad I didn't take it.
Biology is quite interesting because its doing what was at GCSE but in further detail which I guess is cooler because for me it was learning more about what I liked.

But for English for yourself and other unwanted options we're just going to have to see them through unfortunately :bawling::bawling:
fr.fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
Im in year 13 and after picking English Literature, English Language, Film Studies and Drama and Theatre Studies for AS and dropping literature before A2 I wish I picked Sociology instead of Drama, not because its limited my options but because it's very hard to work with people in groups constantly. Sociology would have probably have been more beneficial for what I'm doing in the future.
I understand that so bad, I hate history and my teacher constantly is like 'oh lets do some MORE group work.' Like planning for an essay which I am going to do by myself, no we have to do it as a group :eek:
What do you want to do in the future?
soIiIoquy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i wished i dropped psychology and did something like economics or accounts instead...

Spoiler:
Show

im in yr 13 though
fr.fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by soIiIoquy)
i wished i dropped psychology and did something like economics or accounts instead...

Spoiler:
Show

im in yr 13 though

wait how come you would drop psychology though, economics sounds cool tho
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by fr.fr)
wait how come you would drop psychology though, economics sounds cool tho
psychology is interesting and relatable, but there is so much content and evaluative points to memorize, its become a burden on me :/ and it comes to the point where im trying so hard to understand the content and dates, names, stats that I dont even have time to actually revise exam technique ukno?

economics does, i might take it at uni if i dont like accounts.
fr.fr
Rep:
?
psychology is interesting and relatable, but there is so much content and evaluative points to memorize, its become a burden on me :/ and it comes to the point where im trying so hard to understand the content and dates, names, stats that I dont even have time to actually revise exam technique ukno?

economics does, i might take it at uni if i dont like accounts.
yeah, what you've said for psychology is the same for me with history, its so longg

but accounts sounds cool at uni, u'll probably be able to do it without it at a level righttt?
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by fr.fr)
yeah, what you've said for psychology is the same for me with history, its so longg

but accounts sounds cool at uni, u'll probably be able to do it without it at a level righttt?
i did history at gcse and i hated it, i was getting d's and e's but i ended up getting a B overall, i just hope it goes the same way for psychology, the only difference is, thats its at alevel not gcse :/

yeah, im really excited i've already got my unconditional offer from my uni to do business management and accounts so im excited. you don't have to take accounts at alevel to do accounts at uni because i also take business studies at alevel and we cover accounts in that too e.g financial ratios and investment appraisal
fr.fr
Rep:
?
i did history at gcse and i hated it, i was getting d's and e's but i ended up getting a B overall, i just hope it goes the same way for psychology, the only difference is, thats its at alevel not gcse :/

yeah, im really excited i've already got my unconditional offer from my uni to do business management and accounts so im excited. you don't have to take accounts at alevel to do accounts at uni because i also take business studies at alevel and we cover accounts in that too e.g financial ratios and investment appraisal
that's so good you'be got your offers! good luck in your a levels, you'll smash it honestly!!
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by fr.fr)
that's so good you'be got your offers! good luck in your a levels, you'll smash it honestly!!
thank you
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I swallowed the bull about media being worthwhile. If I had my time again I might change that, but ultimately I can't have any complaints.
mupsman2312
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by fr.fr)
Now we're in March and the end of year 12 is coming (so fast!), do you wish that you chose different a levels or could change any? If so, what would you change to?

Myself, I do biology, chemistry and history but I wish I chose psychology instead of history
I really wanted to do PE at A-level, but it had a timetable clash with Chemistry at my school, so I couldn't do both; I stuck with Chemistry, and effectively got given Biology instead of PE. Now most of my revision time is spent doing Biology (which I didn't even really pick), since there's a lot of content, and most of it doesn't come to me very quickly (like it often does with Chemistry); I've lost count of how many times I've thought, "Ugh, I didn't even want to do Biology anyway!" I struggle with it the most out of all of my subjects; and, whilst it can be pretty interesting, it gets rather tedious looking over the same stuff countless times until it all goes in... The practicals can be pretty tricky, too - and so many write-ups!

Spoiler:
Show

Is PE A-level much easier than Biology A-level? The GCSE definitely was for me!
fr.fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
I swallowed the bull about media being worthwhile. If I had my time again I might change that, but ultimately I can't have any complaints.
do you do media studies?
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nope
fr.fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by mupsman2312)
I really wanted to do PE at A-level, but it had a timetable clash with Chemistry at my school, so I couldn't do both; I stuck with Chemistry, and effectively got given Biology instead of PE. Now most of my revision time is spent doing Biology (which I didn't even really pick), since there's a lot of content, and most of it doesn't come to me very quickly (like it often does with Chemistry); I've lost count of how many times I've thought, "Ugh, I didn't even want to do Biology anyway!" I struggle with it the most out of all of my subjects; and, whilst it can be pretty interesting, it gets rather tedious looking over the same stuff countless times until it all goes in... The practicals can be pretty tricky, too - and so many write-ups!

Spoiler:
Show

Is PE A-level much easier than Biology A-level? The GCSE definitely was for me!

i'm not sure about PE a level being easier, but some of my friends do it on consortium and they really enjoy it, more than their other options actually

omg though, for the sciences, the practicals are so frustrating like isn't the content enough without them and then the whole writing them up and my days, my teacher makes my bio class write up practicals that aren't even required like the benedicts test :banghead:
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by fr.fr)
do you do media studies?
I did once upon a time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads