Miriam29
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
24/05/18

Today I sat my Maths non-calculator exam and Religious Studies exam. Overall, I think it was a successful day. The Maths paper was pretty easy, and the RS paper wasn’t too difficult (but the topic of abortion didn’t come up and I was ready with my quotes). The only question I didn’t understand was a one mark maths question, because it was poorly phrased.

Tomorrow is my English Literature exam, which is my most feared exam. I need 69 UMS out of 80 for an A*, so I’m aiming for 90%. For that, I would need full marks on my extract questions (which is attainable), and 17/20 on both essay questions. I’m trying not to stress, because it won’t help me. I’ve memorised most of the quotes (it’s surprising how much I actually know in comparison to what I thought I knew). Good luck to anyone else sitting their English exam.
Miriam29
Rep:
?
05/06/18

Tomorrow I’ll be sitting my Music exam, and I feel pretty calm about it. I know what I need to know, and just need to rely on my hearing and common sense to answer most of the questions.

My Maths exam will be on Thursday, and I’m not going to bother revising too much for it because I’m also very confident for it. I’ll go over everything and do a past paper again, but it’s not stressing me out.

My first History paper of the year is on Friday (The Developement of Russia 1905-1924). I’m also confident for this, but I just need to refine a few dates in my head. The second History paper is on Tuesday (The Middle East 1900-2000). I feel less confident for this, because the exam layout is different to the other exams. I need to remember a lot more, and I’m stressing about the facts and dates after 1973. I’ll spend the whole weekend revising for that. So far, I have 100% in my History work (USA exam and coursework), so I can afford to get an A on my Middle East paper if I need to (though I’ll go for the A*).

I’m slightly worried that I haven’t been doing much German revision due to other exams being closer. Luckily, I have almost a Werke between my History exam on Tuesday and my first German exam. I’ll start doing some activities every day (starting on Saturday) just to recap a bit.

My Additional Maths exam is at the back of my mind. It doesn’t really matter how I do, though I’m aiming for a Merit. We’ve covered the course so quickly, and we’ve taught some of it to ourselves. I’ll just have to do practise papers. It also turns out that it’s a calculator paper, and for months I’ve been told otherwise. Hopefully that doesn’t mess things up.
Miriam29
Rep:
?
07/06/18

Yesterday I had my Music exam, and I’m not sure how to feel about it. Most of the questions were fine (I’ve done my Grade 5 Music Theory before), but some of them were just strange. Sometimes they asked us to identity chords, even though we only had one note on paper, and most of us don’t have perfect pitch. Luckily I’d learnt this set piece off by heart, so I knew the chord. The last question (essay question) was the weirdest question ever. For practise papers, we’ve always analysed film music or a pop piece in strophic form. The WJEC instead decided to play us a very short techno-pop extract, and I wanted to cry. WHERE WAS THE JOHN WILLIAMS???

This morning I have my Maths exam. I haven’t done much revision for it, but I’m pretty calm. As soon as it’s over, I’m coming back home and going straight to bed. I forgot how early 7 a.m. feels.
Miriam29
Rep:
?
07/06/18 Part 2

My Maths exam went very well, except for the last question. No one that I talked to could solve it in the exam (it was only 4 marks). It turns out that I got the answer, and then proceeded to cross it out because I made a mistake in verifying my answer. Ahhhhh I feel like an idiot. Other than that, I understood everything.
Chemusen
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You sound like you're doing fantastically well in your exams- I felt the same about the music, don't worry. Our invigilator, an aging woman who for the other 7 questions frowned behind a desk, began dancing when the music began for the essay question.

How many more exams do you have? How did you find Language today?
Miriam29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lewianter)
You sound like you're doing fantastically well in your exams- I felt the same about the music, don't worry. Our invigilator, an aging woman who for the other 7 questions frowned behind a desk, began dancing when the music began for the essay question.

How many more exams do you have? How did you find Language today?
I have five exams left (3 German, History and Ad Maths). I didn’t do the Language paper because I sat it a year early. How did you find it? A lot of my peers said they found it to be nicer than last year’s paper.
Chemusen
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did last year's papers as my mock exams in December and would have found that easier than today's- particularly Section B. I enjoy anything that allows you to express opinion, and even though we did have a formal letter as one of the questions today, I'd have rathered a speech or review. I find them not only easier but far more enjoyable
Miriam29
Rep:
?
I did last year's papers as my mock exams in December and would have found that easier than today's- particularly Section B. I enjoy anything that allows you to express opinion, and even though we did have a formal letter as one of the questions today, I'd have rathered a speech or review. I find them not only easier but far more enjoyable
That’s why I liked last year’s paper. I basically wrote an essay based on my viewpoints.
Chemusen
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd far rather do that- I hate writing a guide and formal letters are boring.

Interesting reading your comments on the maths paper- the responce of my peers following the exam made me very much appreciate doing early entry in November actually
Miriam29
Rep:
?
I'd far rather do that- I hate writing a guide and formal letters are boring.

Interesting reading your comments on the maths paper- the responce of my peers following the exam made me very much appreciate doing early entry in November actually
Did your friends find the exam difficult? I found that it covered most topics, but there weren’t many long questions. It didn’t feel challenging enough.
Miriam29
Rep:
?
11/06/18

Sooo tomorrow is my History exam on changes in the Middle East from 1919 to 2000. I managed to get in a good 12 hours of revision over the weekend, which is probably the most I’ve ever done in one weekend. My Russian History paper went very well, though I think I was more confident for it because it was a depth study rather than a breadth study, and I definitely prefer the former.

It’s quite saddening that some of my peers have already finished their exams, while I have five left. I’m just looking forward to prom and my summer holiday.

June 12th: History
June 18th: German Reading and German Listening
June 19th: Additional Maths
June 21st: German Writing
June 22nd: Prom
July 5th: Fly to Florida (yay)
Miriam29
Rep:
?
15/06/18

When will this torture end? I have four exams left, while most people have finished theirs. I guess that’s what I get for choosing to study German and Additional Maths. Due to a lack of practise, my German vocabulary has decreased slightly. However, I will work hard to improve it by Monday (my first German exams). Over the past 24 hours, my Ad Maths knowledge has developed massively. I did two past paper yesterday, and I think if I sat the exam now, I would definitely pass.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MiriamButcher)
15/06/18

When will this torture end? I have four exams left, while most people have finished theirs. I guess that’s what I get for choosing to study German and Additional Maths. Due to a lack of practise, my German vocabulary has decreased slightly. However, I will work hard to improve it by Monday (my first German exams). Over the past 24 hours, my Ad Maths knowledge has developed massively. I did two past paper yesterday, and I think if I sat the exam now, I would definitely pass.
:lovehug: that's great about ad maths!
good luck for your german exam!!
Miriam29
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
:lovehug: that's great about ad maths!
good luck for your german exam!!
Thanks!
Miriam29
Rep:
?
18/06/18

This morning I had my German Listening and Reading exams. The listening exam went very well and was overall quite easy. However, the reading exam was very difficult, with a lot of vocabulary that I hadn’t come across before. I used context for a lot of questions to try to give reasonable answers. The translation question on the Reading paper was actually quite easy, so that’s a positive.

Tomorrow I have my Additional Maths exam, and I’m quite confident for it. It seems that every year, the papers are very similar, and I understand the topic areas. Finally, my last exam is on Thursday. It is a German Writing exam, which I am confident for. Writing is definitely my strong point.
Miriam29
Rep:
?
20/06/18

One....more....left....

By this point, the exam season is more tiring and irritating than it is annoying. Some of my friends friends finished nearly two weeks ago, but here I am, still doing exams. I’m pretty sure even the A Level exams have finished by now. But hey, by 11:00 am tomorrow, I will have finished my exams.

Yesterday I sat my Additional Maths paper. Overall, it was quite easy. It took me forever to do the last question, because I didn’t realise at first that you didn’t need to solve for x (it was impossible to do so). I’ve also realised that with the trigonometric function question (4 marks), I wasn’t supposed to use a calculator. However, I know how to do it without a calculator, and I left my answer in surd form, so maybe I’ll get all the marks.

Tomorrow is my German Writing paper (my last exam), and I just want to get on with it now. I’ll go to a revision session today, do some revision myself, and then just relax because I’m fairly confident.

My prom is on Friday, and I’m looking forward to it. Afterwards, my friends and I are having our own after party because the one with alcohol doesn’t exactly appeal to us.
Chemusen
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You look to have done fantastically. Nearly over now- good luck with your exam tomorrow. My prom isn't until July 2nd and my friends are throwing after-parties with lots of alcohol involved because that's the type of friends I have, so I'm just gonna go home and sleep
Miriam29
Rep:
?
You look to have done fantastically. Nearly over now- good luck with your exam tomorrow. My prom isn't until July 2nd and my friends are throwing after-parties with lots of alcohol involved because that's the type of friends I have, so I'm just gonna go home and sleep

Thanks! I’ll be relieved to see the end of them exam season. I plan to spend a week just sleeping in bed.
Miriam29
Rep:
?
Ahhhhh the torture is finally over! No more exams, no more worries (other than having to wear heals for prom tomorrow), and no more early mornings. I celebrated by going to a restaurant with my friend, followed by a lovely boat ride on the lake near my house.
Name:  0BAAB443-C849-4A9F-AF73-2B9A2E8236A6.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  193.1 KB
Miriam29
Rep:
?
23/06/18

Yesterday, my prom took place and it was worth attending (see me below in a blue, strapless dress [I’m the white one with brown hair]).

Afterwards, I went to a sleepover with my closest friends and we played Cards Against Humanity well into the early hours.

Now all that’s left to do is enjoy the summer!
Name:  FBEE6A17-738C-458E-B422-D1E838020074.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  57.2 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (48)
15.19%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (102)
32.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (39)
12.34%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.54%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (18)
5.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.95%

Watched Threads