Is product design engineering a creative arts degree or engineering degree? Watch

Ovvpbpbbppbpb
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was looking at the graduate salary ranking and engineering was higher than creative arts and design so I was wondering which one. I know there are lot of threads of pde vs mech eng but they didnt really help. Is product design engineering more similar to product design or mech eng because there arent many jobs for pd. Also, what type of jobs and I was looking at job adverts and all the product design engineering jobs wanted a mechanical engineering degree so is it even worth it or would they also accept pde as its under the umbrella? Thanks so much if you take the time to reply.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends if you do Bsc or Ba
Ovvpbpbbppbpb
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Depends if you do Bsc or Ba
Hi, Meng?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ovvpbpbbppbpb)
Hi, Meng?
Oh good point

tbh i would say it is a spectrum, if you had art at one end and engineering at the other Ba would be nearer to the art end, Bsc would be somwhere in the middle of the spectrum but closer to engineering and Meng would be close to the engineering side
adamantacademic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, Meng?
Engineering
Ovvpbpbbppbpb
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamantacademic)
Engineering
Could i qpply to mech eng jobs?
adamantacademic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, the manufacturing side of the industry.
But Doonesbury could give you a greater insight!
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably yes.
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello I’m just finishing my Master’s degree in Product Design (PD) and have had this question a lot of times.

It is a tough question to answer and may not be as simple as your qualification, but your portfolio and how your university course was structured.

From personal experience I took a course in PD and chose in my final year to end up with a BA. In no way does it mean I will be limited in jobs as I still have the exact same technical knowledge as those who end up with a BSc. (However, this is course and university dependant).

You will also find that university courses are named differently even though they have the same content-which makes the whole thing even more confusing.

In terms of job hunting, if you are looking for a technical role there is no reason why you cannot apply for the role with a Product Design degree as long as you can demonstrate to them you have the technical capabilities. From personal experience I can vouch for this.

Does this help at all? What sort of jobs have you been looking at?
Ovvpbpbbppbpb
Rep:
?
(Original post by BU Students)
Hello I’m just finishing my Master’s degree in Product Design (PD) and have had this question a lot of times.

It is a tough question to answer and may not be as simple as your qualification, but your portfolio and how your university course was structured.

From personal experience I took a course in PD and chose in my final year to end up with a BA. In no way does it mean I will be limited in jobs as I still have the exact same technical knowledge as those who end up with a BSc. (However, this is course and university dependant).

You will also find that university courses are named differently even though they have the same content-which makes the whole thing even more confusing.

In terms of job hunting, if you are looking for a technical role there is no reason why you cannot apply for the role with a Product Design degree as long as you can demonstrate to them you have the technical capabilities. From personal experience I can vouch for this.

Does this help at all? What sort of jobs have you been looking at?
Thanks for the reply, it is helpful but how is product design different from product design engineering? Ive been looking at design engineering jobs which required mech eng degrees, product design jobs that reqd a BSc im product design and afew industrial engineering jobs aswell. In the product design jobs they mentioned computer programming which my course at notts doesnt include
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?