The Student Room Group

How far would you commute to university?

Hi guys,

I'm considering commuting to my university, which is around 30min-1hr away by car or 2hrs away by bus. I'm going to buy an old car so I can drive to uni but due to the unreliability of older cars, I may have to occasionally take the bus if I experience problems.

Would you say this is a reasonable distance to travel about 3 or 4 days a week?

Thanks!
Original post by jakegoodson
Hi guys,

I'm considering commuting to my university, which is around 30min-1hr away by car or 2hrs away by bus. I'm going to buy an old car so I can drive to uni but due to the unreliability of older cars, I may have to occasionally take the bus if I experience problems.

Thanks!

<= 1 hr driving would be OK for me.
Am in college and it’s 2 hours( because of 2 bus stations) away by bus at times 2 and 30 mins. Which is like just 32 minutes bus car.
So I think u will also manage only for short term as u easily get tired of it as it’s an everyday thing.
I have done it for almost a year now and just can’t wait to learn how to drive

It’s s
Mine is 10 minutes on the train for my postgrad , I commuted in the third year of my undergrad which was about 40 miles away and about 1 hour in the train ... it was doable but I would definitely recommend halls just for the experience!
Hi guys,

Thanks!

A couple of points to consider:
1) Many universities don't offer parking on campus for the majority of studnts. Some only offer parking to disabled students, others have a limited number of parking permits for non disabled students. So you can't bank on being able to park on campus. If you can't park the alternative 2 hours each way by bus is a very long schlap- 4 hours

2) Taking the time out, commuting in general is fine if you want the quiet life at uni. However if you want the full uni experience going out at night, going to society meetings and socials plus easy access to the library then its much easier when living on/near campus.
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I'm currently doing about a 90 minute/2hr commute...
The experience has very little to recommend itself. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending