The Student Room Group

Biology edexcel iGCSE

Hey, I’m doing biology GCSE this year and was wondering if anyone had a good model answer for ‘Describe and explain the consequences of smoking on human lungs’. Thanks :smile:)
Original post by Quizlit
Hey, I’m doing biology GCSE this year and was wondering if anyone had a good model answer for ‘Describe and explain the consequences of smoking on human lungs’. Thanks :smile:)

Smoking damages the walls of the alveoli reducing the surface area for gas exchange which leads to emphysema. the tar in cigarettes damages the cilia in ur lungs and trachea. these cilia hairs catch dust and bacteria before they reach the lungs hence damaging cilia hairs can lead to chest infections. carbon monoxide from the cigarettes reduces the amount of oxygen the blood can carry, this makes the heart rate increase which leads to increase in blood pressure and hence coronary heart disease may take place. u can also talk about the bronchitis if u want to.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Reply 2
Original post by cieloceleste
Smoking damages the walls of the alveoli reducing the surface area for gas exchange which leads to emphysema. the tar in cigarettes damages the cilia in ur lungs and trachea. these cilia hairs catch dust and bacteria before they reach the lungs hence damaging cilia hairs can lead to chest infections. carbon monoxide from the cigarettes reduces the amount of oxygen the blood can carry, this makes the heart rate increase which leads to increase in blood pressure and hence coronary heart disease may take place. u can also talk about the bronchitis if u want to.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Thanks so much, this is so helpful! :smile:
Original post by Quizlit
Thanks so much, this is so helpful! :smile:

happy to help!
are u giving biology exam on this may?
Reply 4
Original post by cieloceleste
happy to help!
are u giving biology exam on this may?

I’ve got my GCSE exam in June
Original post by Quizlit
I’ve got my GCSE exam in June

well hi5
The above answer is pretty good, but you should also mention that cigarette smoke contains carcinogens and can lead to lung cancer.

This might be useful:

https://www.bbc.com/education/guides/z6h4jxs/revision/5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending