Turn on thread page Beta

A path to stardom (or not. Probably not.) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I hadn't considered doing a blog then earlier on I found someone else who did a GYG blog and thought "Hmm, that'd be a good idea" cause honestly I need any motivation to get in gear. I didn't know what to do for this bit either so I'm taking inspiration off hers (And also in my defence I barely know what I'm doing cause I only joined TSR a week ago Thursday).

OK, so I'm Matthew, and am in Year 11 in Wales, so will be doing my GCSEs in...about 7 weeks (screams internally). I did start revision then "forgot" throughout this week to do anything (I've been in two concerts if that's an excuse) so need to get going, hence the point of doing this blog of my revising. Predicted grades are as follows-

Biol- A*
    Chem- A*
    Phys- A*
    English Language- A
    English Literature- B (ow)
    Welsh 2nd Lang- A
    Music- A*
    Geography- A*
    Numeracy- A*

Already have A* Mathematics. This blog will probably not be updated every day cause I have the memory span of one half of approximately that of a goldfish, so how I can ever expect to do that well in exams is anyone's guess. I'll try to remember though.

Anyway, to anyone who reads this...um, thanks, and...uh...good luck.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You can do it!

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Mon Mar 19-

Chemistry- Made notes on electrolysis and crude oil- read back over them, realised I know more than I thought but not enough. Managed to shorten the electrolysis topic down to 9 pages, every other science topic I've done so far has been 5/6 at most.

Welsh- Made a very long vocab list based off a half of Unit 1 and tried to remember them by that method-does anyone have any advice on revising languages? I'm very bad at it and never seem to learn much. Also stressing copiously about the speaking exam on the 16th April- the idea of not knowing the topics and going in almost blind on the day scares me more than any of the written exams in any subject.

I have very little tactic to revision other than to not revise the lessons I have the next day so there's less chance I'll forget to pick up the book from my desk.

ReputationRep:
    Tue Mar 20-

Physics- Did a past paper. Got 63% in it which by the standards I want is not a good thing. Need to revise more on motion. Got a test Thursday on half-life apparently so need to know that stuff...I think I do...perhaps...(grins nervously)

Biology- Started a past paper. Didn't get very far on it, but wasn't too hard. I'll do more tomorrow on that or something.

Music- Periods of music. As someone who still needs to write up their performance note which was due last week probably and keeps forgetting, I'm not greatly optimistic about my prospects, but I'll keep trying. Did I mention that I'm planning on doing music A-level? Such a good idea. Not. No, I can't say that. I do enjoy it. I just feel like I'm not good enough at it.

ReputationRep:
    Unnecessary update- I just spilt tea over a booklet which makes up about 2 month's worth of biology work. I'm hoping most of it is salvagable. I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    Wed Mar 21-

The 21st is usually a special day of the month for reasons I won't quite disclose and I said I was gonna have a day off but when you have 4 deadlines the next day, a night off isn't really an option...

English Lit- 2 bloody essays on An Inspector Calls. The Sheila one I mostly had done anyway but the Mrs Birling one I hadn't even started so that took forever.

Physics- Revision for test tomorrow on half life, plus writing a fact sheet about the momentum topic cause my physics teacher likes setting random pieces of homework. In fairness it's good for revision.

Welsh Bacc (or whatever it's called now)- Finished the individual project so that's one waste of my time out of the way. I don't enjoy doing Welsh Bacc whatsoever.

Chemistry- Research and write up stuff on the Haber Process cause we haven't got much time actually left in lessons to finish the course.

I began work when I got home at about 5:30 cause I'm in school till 5 on Wednesday. To write this is the first time I've stopped and I haven't quite finished that list yet. I should probably eat.

ReputationRep:
    Thu Mar 22-

Nearly forgot this was a thing (but oh well it's really really boring so it hardly matters but that doesn't stop me)-

Chem- Did a past paper. Maybe did ok. Maybe. Today in my chem lesson we looked at alcohol and our teacher discussed the idea of us making alcohol- but for one we don't have time, and let's not even go there with the issues of making alcohol in a school...this is why I'm failing chem.

Welsh 2ndL- Learned some of the vocab for unit 4, stuck up some words on my wall.

Maths- A few general notes on some topics that probably don't need to be revised but I'm so tired I'm past the point of caring.

I'm going to see some of my friends in a production of Whistle Down The Wind tomorrow night so that's the only night off I'm gonna get. If I make it through tomorrow without falling asleep though it'll be nigh on a miracle at this point.

ReputationRep:
    Right cause I never have anything to say about my revision I'm gonna try commenting on my lessons instead (well, for yesterday and the three day week next week until school finishes for Easter)-

Fri Mar 23-

Lesson 1- Geography
    UK climate (our geography teacher taught the topics in the wrong order so weather is last). I like stuff about the weather so this was ok, but stuff I already knew anyway.

Lesson 2- English
    Did an essay on Francis in Heroes. Didn't get it all done cause I only wrote about 4 words a minute cause I cba for English at the best of times and I'm only slightly more bothered in exams. This is why I'm targeted a B.

Lesson 3- Maths
    Finished a past paper we had the lesson before and got it marked- 78%, so an A. I think the marks I dropped were mostly stupid though- I need to learn to read questions better...

Lesson 4- Welsh Bacc/Skills Challenge/whatever the **** it's called; it's a waste of time either way.
    I've finished everything so I used the lesson to try and do revision for chem until my teacher came over and told me I should be working. I told her I finished it. She told me I can't have done. ...

Lesson 5- PE
    We basically did nothing cause the kids who did GCSE PE were doing moderation and the teachers were busy. While we did nothing I asked if I could go do music coursework. I didn't get a reply. I went anyway.

My school runs to a 2-week timetable (does anyone else have that?) and Friday Week A is the only day I don't have science. Oh the joys of doing triple.

ReputationRep:
    gonna follow this
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sun Mar 25-

Biol and phys- went through a series of BBC bitesize tests- did research, and made cue cards of anything I had wrong. I had more wrong in physics than I'd like to admit considering I wanna do A-level physics and possibly pursue a career in it.

Welsh 2nd Lang-....

.........ok moving on.

Maths- went and printed off two past papers cause our teacher doesn't care about us very much and doesn't give us a lot to work from- completed one and marked it off the markscheme and got an A.

I haven't said this yet but I'm looking to do maths, physics, chemistry and music at A-Level from September. Do you think I'm aiming too high given that it's 4 very hard subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Mon Mar 26-

Lesson 1- English
    This was interesting cause we didn't actually have a normal lesson- an author came in and we got to ask questions and nobody at all asked any questions except one boy who's really annoying and kept asking things like if he has a wife and kids and generally really annoying our teacher.

Lesson 2- Biology
    Test on homeostasis and the kidneys. We're never gonna finish the course. On the plus side I got 80% in it.

Lesson 3- Maths
    Our teacher is deputy head so only teaches one class- and forgot he was teaching us today and turned up 10 minutes before the end- before that we had a woman who was supposed to be free and was very grumpy sitting there to keep us quiet.

Lesson 4- Physics

We finished the course last week so today we were going through revision- I did some sheets on work and energy cause that's my weakest area in it.

Lesson 5- Chemistry
    The Haber process. Pretty easy stuff tbh, and it really is about time I understood chemistry. I've spent a very long time sitting there listening and nodding and not having a flying clue what's going on.

Then orchestra after school. Yep, 3 sciences and maths and English, pretty work intensive day in terms of lessons! Tomorrow is better though.

ReputationRep:
    Tue Mar 27-

How's everyone's day been? Mine's been like this-

Lesson 1- RE
    Ethical issues with capital punishment, followed by a class debate on the topic, which I personally loved cause if anyone has an overly strong opinion on anything and everything, it's me.

Lesson 2- Maths
    Our teacher forgot to print off the work for us and then the printer didn't work so we did precisely noting at all

Lesson 3- Music
    Revision lesson for the exam. Went through stuff on film music, pretty easy lesson really.

Lesson 4- Biology
    Started the last topic about microorganisms and bacteria and looked at how penicillin is made. See, that's the side of biol I like, it's just most of the course has been really boring so I've lost almost all interest. And let's not talk about the teacher.

Lesson 5- Geography
    Ecosystems. Our teacher showed us some videos which was OK I guess, but most of my friends were off doing their drama practical and the other kids in the class are the kind of really annoying kids who I wouldn't talk to if I was paid to. So I was bored.

1 more day! (thank God for that)

ReputationRep:
    Also is anyone actually reading this? I'm only asking cause if there's a few who like it I'll make a tag list.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I am!

Loved catching up with your story so far, keep at it! Congratulations finally breaking through that Chemistry knowledge barrier! Chemistry stumped me all the way through during my GCSE's. :facepalm:

Good luck with the rest of your revision, you set yourself really high targets but it sounds like your on top of things!

A few occasional concerts and a bit of down time never hurt anyone, who did you go and see?

ReputationRep:
    Ah I didn't go and see them, I've been in concerts- one with school and one I was asked to be part of for charity cause when people find out I'm a grade 7 pianist (hopefully grade 8 by the end of July) they ask me to do stuff. I really don't mind.

Anyway...
    Wed Mar 28-

Lesson 1- English
    We went through every character in An Inspector Calls and made a key notes and quotations page for each. Or rather, we were supposed to. I only got 2 characters done.

Lesson 2- Maths
    Teacher didn't turn up for most of the lesson (again) so very little happened- the sporty type boys did play loud obnoxious music though and we had other teachers in being angry cause of it.

Lesson 3- Biology
    Made more notes on biology and did the specified practical on bacteria and stuff. Pretty interesting.

Lesson 4- Chemistry
    An overview of the key things we need to know, which was mainly going over electrolysis cause nobody really gets it, myself included.

Lesson 5- Welsh
    Pretty much just spent an hour being yelled at about the fact we have our speaking assessment on the first day back and we're not good enough bla bla bla on and on can you not shut up...

In school tomorrow for coursework so it's not the day off I thought it was but hey- one more day, and not a proper school day anyway. Aiming to revise maths, chemistry and English Lit tonight, which are easy enough subjects, if not my favourites.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hello, good luck with your gcses what are you thinking of studying after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    hello, good luck with your gcses what are you thinking of studying after?
    Thank you! Maths, physics, music and chemistry in college. This...is probably way too much work.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lewianter)
    Thank you! Maths, physics, music and chemistry in college. This...is probably way too much work.
    those are interesting subjects! i'm sure you'll do well in them though. good luck
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lewianter)
    Also is anyone actually reading this? I'm only asking cause if there's a few who like it I'll make a tag list.
    Please add me.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.