The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

and....? Its their cultural tradition. If your looking for working lads to craic with go on to some football forum or something.
There is a tiny proportion of 'private school kids' on TSR, you'll find many of them are pleasant, normal people. I don't see why you have to be so jealous of them? It's not a very nice trait.

As we all know, the only way you get into the universities listed above is by hard work. Sure, private education can give access to higher standards but at the end of the day it really is down to the individual person to put in that effort.
Exactly 16 of them. All of them had dead Dads, one had a rich hamster.
Indian school kids after often 3 years ahead of ours by age 15.

Electing to invest in private education demonstrates an act of high morality. The parents could just as easily bought flashy cars, holidays and clothes but instead they invested in their children.
Edinburgh has its fare share too.

My motivation is to earn enough one day so when I have kids I'll be able to send them to private school.
Reply 6
Original post by ObviouslyYeah
Only an animal would send their children to state schools, Indian school kids after often 3 years ahead of ours by age 15.

Electing to invest in private education demonstrates an act of high morality. The parents could just as easily bought flashy cars, holidays and clothes but instead they invested in their children.

Shoutout to the parents who couldn’t afford private education, flashy cars or holidays. Sometimes investing in your children is just providing them with a roof over their heads, food on the table and encouragement to do their best with the cards they’ve been dealt.
Only an animal would send their children to state schools, Indian school kids after often 3 years ahead of ours by age 15.

You're so ignorant it hurts a little.

Agree with the morality part. Children come before material goods. Especially when you have lots of money. 50 year old me qualified as a surgeon would rather spend £30,000 sending my two children to private schools rather than buying a fancy car.

Not sure about the animal part. A poor single mother has no other options than state schools for her kid.
Original post by Mia Taylor
You're so ignorant it hurts a little.

I dont really see why I should send my potential kids to an environment where chairs are being thrown around and lessons are disrupted for no real reason at all. If you cant go private in UK then emigrate or home school, or better still dont have kids.
I dont really see why I should send my potential kids to an environment where chairs are being thrown around and lessons are disrupted for no real reason at all. If you cant go private in UK then emigrate or home school, or better still dont have kids.

My point exactly, you don't see because you're too ignorant to acknowledge peoples circumstances. Exactly as Cat_mac said. I attended a state school and ended up with very good GCSE's and i'm predicted A's and A*'s for my A levels. It's incredibly offensive how you're implying my parents are 'animals' because they sent me to a state school. Like i said, you're just ignorant...

Oh and just a little disclaimer, no chairs were ever thrown in the 5 years i attended this state school. Your incorrect stereotypes are not appreciated by me.
Original post by rickyrossman
Agree with the morality part. Children come before material goods. Especially when you have lots of money. 50 year old me qualified as a surgeon would rather spend £30,000 sending my two children to private schools rather than buying a fancy car.

Not sure about the animal part. A poor single mother has no other options than state schools for her kid.

Well herein lies the problem. We have a problem with morality, ethics and discipline in the UK. Single motherhood is just part of that problem, people from middle class backgrounds dont generally get knocked up in their teens to random men. We need to address the wider socio-cultural issues rather than just say oh its so unfair that poor kids cant go etc...

Lol. What sort of schools have you seen? :biggrin:
I went to a comprehensive school and none of that happened

Anddddd we have a troll.
The trolls will be in full force on this thread. You have been warned.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't undermine the achievements of those who attended private school in light of your own bitterness
Well herein lies the problem. We have a problem with morality, ethics and discipline in the UK. Single motherhood is just part of that problem, people from middle class backgrounds dont generally get knocked up in their teens to random men. We need to address the wider socio-cultural issues rather than just say oh its so unfair that poor kids cant go etc...

I am very traditionalist when it comes to social values; two-parent families are always better than single-motherhood. However, getting knocked up is only one of the causes of single-motherhood. Its very one-dimensional to suggest thats the only reason. What about widows? They have no other options apart from remarrying... Also cultural problems can occur. My mother married a man who immigrated from asia but they didn't get along because of different values of life and grandparents causing problem. She never got knocked up, infact it was her first and last relationship ever.
Jealousy and insecurity. That's all it boils down to.

If you're making the "Daddy's money" argument - you've already lost.
since Grammar Schools were 99% eradicated by trendy educational ideologues the prospects for bright children from poor families are very limited.
At the same time as making my defence for people attending private schools... don't then come and ruin it by throwing around stereotypes about state schools, because then you are causing division and you are acting objectionably.
Original post by rickyrossman
I am very traditionalist when it comes to social values; two-parent families are always better than single-motherhood. However, getting knocked up is only one of the causes of single-motherhood. Its very one-dimensional to suggest thats the only reason. What about widows? They have no other options apart from remarrying... Also cultural problems can occur. My mother married a man who immigrated from asia but they didn't get along because of different values of life and grandparents causing problem. She never got knocked up, infact it was her first and last relationship ever.

Immaculate conception?

Quick Reply

Latest