The Student Room Group

Combined degrees at SOAS

Hi,

I'm in year 12 and thought it was probably time to start thinking about the future and so I have been looking into different unis for a while. I love Asian history, particularly Japanese history, and SOAS has really caught my eye and I got really excited whilst looking on the website.

However, when I was looking through the different courses, the website honestly confused me so much. I know that you can do combined degrees, but when I select 'Japanese Studies and...' it just links me to the info about that course - that's fine until I want to see what works with that option?

So, if I wanted to do Japanese Studies, I understand that that involves learning Japanese (which is cool), but would that be a major part of the course/ be quite intense, or be one smaller part that makes up the course? Also, what if I wanted to do History and Japanese Studies, would that work?

I had been looking at just the history modules but there's more of a focus on Africa, particularly in year 2 (which is fine, I just want to see what else is possible) so I just want to know what you can actually combine.

It may sound like a dumb question but the website has honestly been confusing me for a solid hour and I made an account here just for this, lol.
Original post by ChemicalWaylien
Hi,

I'm in year 12 and thought it was probably time to start thinking about the future and so I have been looking into different unis for a while. I love Asian history, particularly Japanese history, and SOAS has really caught my eye and I got really excited whilst looking on the website.

However, when I was looking through the different courses, the website honestly confused me so much. I know that you can do combined degrees, but when I select 'Japanese Studies and...' it just links me to the info about that course - that's fine until I want to see what works with that option?

So, if I wanted to do Japanese Studies, I understand that that involves learning Japanese (which is cool), but would that be a major part of the course/ be quite intense, or be one smaller part that makes up the course? Also, what if I wanted to do History and Japanese Studies, would that work?

I had been looking at just the history modules but there's more of a focus on Africa, particularly in year 2 (which is fine, I just want to see what else is possible) so I just want to know what you can actually combine.

It may sound like a dumb question but the website has honestly been confusing me for a solid hour and I made an account here just for this, lol.

The module list for japanese studies is here https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapanesestudiesand/ and history is under the list of combinations :smile:

It says that in year one you take 60 credits of your other subject, you do 120 credits a year in total so you'd be studying half and half of each subject. It also says that there's much less focus on learning the language in this degree compared to an actual japanese degree .
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
The module list for japanese studies is here https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapanesestudiesand/ and history is under the list of combinations :smile:

It says that in year one you take 60 credits of your other subject, you do 120 credits a year in total so you'd be studying half and half of each subject. It also says that there's much less focus on learning the language in this degree compared to an actual japanese degree .

Thank you so so much!! I feel a bit stupid now lol for not seeing it ahaha (also, that was a really fast response)

That answers my question perfectly, and now I definitely know where I'm applying for as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks again!!
Original post by ChemicalWaylien
Thank you so so much!! I feel a bit stupid now lol for not seeing it ahaha (also, that was a really fast response)

That answers my question perfectly, and now I definitely know where I'm applying for as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks again!!

No problem :smile: they don't always make the information you're after that clear on university websites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending