AJ's Spring Anime Preview 2018

Watch
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It's almost Spring! I say, clutching a hot water bottle under a duvet as I type this. A new season means new anime series... but if you're looking for something COMPLETELY new, you might as well come back in the Summer, as this lineup is almost entirely spinoffs, sequels and reboots. :p:

(These series are all due to air in the first few weeks of April. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

3D Kanojo: Real Girl

Genre: Romance, School, Comedy
Animation Studio: Hoods Entertainment
Japanese Airdate: Apr 4, 2018
Director: Naoya Takashi (Watashitachi, Luck Logic Bu!, Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru)

(Original post by Summary:)
Hikari Tsutsui is a high school boy who is satisfied with the virtual girls he encounters in anime and games. He does not have many friends and he lives in his own world. One day, when he is stuck on pool cleaning duty, he is approached by Iroha, a "real girl" who is showy and popular with boys.
Another romance between an otaku and a more confident, popular person. Plenty of those out there already, and they're not for me. Liking the random catboy, though!

Aikatsu Friends!

Genre: Magic, School, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Bandai Namco Pictures
Japanese Airdate: Apr 5, 2018
Director: Igarashi Shishou (Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke, Soukou Kihei Votoms: Case; Irvine)

"Let's go, together! Head for the goal, Diamond Friends!!"

The new anime will have a theme of "Aikatsu with your friends!" and will center on a new protagonist named Aine Yuuki, who is good at making friends, and is enrolled in Star Harmony Academy's general education track. She befriends Mio Minato, the school's top idol, and becomes an idol herself.
More Aikatsu for those who like it, the first of many sequels and spin-offs this season! I haven't watched any previous series, so will give Friends! a miss.

Amanchu! Advance

Genre: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Japanese Airdate: Apr 7, 2018
Director: Sayama Kiyoko (Vampire Knight, Skip Beat!)

Second season of Amanchu!
Curse you Amanchu! You'd have been a Pointless answer at the convention a week ago if I could only remember your name... anyway, cute show, I may watch this sequel!

Beyblade Burst Chouzetsu

Genre: Action, Adventure, Sports
Animation Studio: OLM
Japanese Airdate: Apr 2, 2018
Director: Yamaguchi Kentarou (Beyblade Burst God)

Beyblade Burst Chozetsu is the third season of the Burst series, and the tenth season of Beyblade overall
And another sequel – I haven't watched any previous series of Beyblade, but I'm glad to see the franchise is still going strong!

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Happy Kiss!

Genre: Slice of Life, Parody, Magic
Animation Studio: Studio Comet
Japanese Airdate: Apr 9, 2018
Director: Takamatsu Shinji (School Rumble, Gintama)

In the northern Kanto area in Japan, there is Binan City…
At Binan High School, as per usual, the “Earth Defense Club (lol)” was a club that did nothing. The club members Kyoutarou Shuzenji, Ryouma Kirishima, Nanao Wakura, Taishi Manza, and Ichiro Dogou nonchalantly enjoyed tea while having pointless conversations that amount to nothing.

All of them have now gathered at Kurotama Bath after school. When Ryouma pulls Kyoutarou Shuzenji by his arm out of water that he claims feels too good, together with his towel comes a pretty boy in strange clothing.

These five boys are then dragged into a battle for the heir of the magical kingdom, Honyala Land...
And ANOTHER sequel! But though the setting seems the same as previous Binan Koukou series, this one has an all-new cast. Not sure I'll have space for this in my short lineup.

Boku no Hero Academia 3

Genre: Action, Comedy, Super Power
Animation Studio: Bones
Director: Nagasaki Kenji (No.6, Classroom Crisis)

Third season of Boku no Hero Academia.
Big sequel. BIG SEQUEL. But still only the 2nd most highly anticipated of the season, according to Anichart! Definitely makes my list.

Butlers: Chitose Momotose Monogatari

Genre: Comedy, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Silver Link.
Japanese Airdate: Apr 12, 2018
Director: Takahashi Ken (Kira Kira 5th Anniversary Live Anime: Kick Start Generation, Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Drei!!)

The anime centers on two protagonists. Koma Jinguji (Jay) is the smart and handsome student council president. His elegant smile captures the hearts of women. Tsubasa Hayakawa is a multi-talented and gentle shop assistant at a café. His cafe latte with owl latte art is very popular with female customers. The two men travel through time to fight their archenemy. The charming "Butlers," as they are called, fight supernatural battles and also experience a slapstick comedic life at their academy.
This is... not a sequel! :zomg: So, combat butlers and slapstick comedy. Not a lot else to go on, but the character designs are nice enough.

Caligula

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Satelight
Japanese Airdate: Apr 8, 2018
Director: Wada Jun`ichi (Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu, Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka? Isogashii Desuka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desuka?)

μ is a virtual idol who performs user-inputted songs and gains self-awareness through exposure to users' bitter feelings and dissatisfaction toward reality. Wanting to save humanity - which she believes is continuously suffering - she lures people to a virtual reality world called Mobius with her songs. She then imprisons them in Mobius, thinking they will be free from the suffering of reality and that all their wishes will come true. Nine members of the "Going Home Club," a club that was formed because the characters want to escape from Mobius and go home, try to find a way out.
This seems quite original! People rebelling against a well-meaning(?) sentient AI, trying to escape and return home. Definitely the most intriguing of the few new series we've covered so far.

Captain Tsubasa (2018)

Genre: Action, Sports
Animation Studio: David Production
Japanese Airdate: Apr 3, 2018
Director: Katou Toshiyuki (Ginga Densetsu Weed, Level E)

Captain Tsubasa is the passionate story of an elementary school student whose thoughts and dreams revolve almost entirely around the love of soccer. 11-year-old Tsubasa Oozora started playing football at a very young age, and while it was mostly just a recreational sport for his friends, for him, it developed into something of an obsession.

In order to pursue his dream to the best of his elementary school abilities, Tsubasa moves with his mother to Nankatsu city, which is well-known for its excellent elementary school soccer teams. But although he was easily the best in his old town, Nankatsu has a lot more competition, and he will need all of his skill and talent in order to stand out from this new crowd.

He encounters not only rivals, but also new friends like the pretty girl Sanae Nakazawa and the talented goalkeeper, Genzo Wakabayashi, who shares the same passion as Tsubasa, and will prove to be a treasured friend in helping him push towards his dreams. Representing Japan in the FIFA World Cup is Tsubasa’s ultimate dream, but it will take a lot more than talent to reach it.
A remake this time! Based on an early 80s manga, Captain Tsubasa has already spawned over 200 anime episodes across three decades. I'll certainly give this new adaptation a look.

Comic Girls

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Nexus
Director: Tokumoto Yoshinobu

Moeta Kaoruko ia a 15-year-old high school student and manga creator, who uses the pen name Chaos. After ranking at the bottom of a reader survey, Kaoruko's editor recommends that she enter an all-female dormitory for manga creators. Kaoruko's roommates are shoujo manga creator Koizuka Koyume, teen romance manga creator Irokawa Ruki, and shounen manga creator Katsuki Tsubasa. The girls support each other as they work to become better manga creators.
An adaptation of a 4-koma manga; I usually love the short, quick-fire gag comedy style of such series. This seems very cute.

Cutie Honey Universe

Genre: Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Production Reed
Director: Yokoyama Akitoshi (Marimo no Hana: Saikyou Butouha Shougakusei Densetsu, Photokano)

Honey Kisaragi appears to be an ordinary girl attending St. Chapel Academy, but in reality she's the "Warrior of Love" Cutie Honey, a super-powered android created by Dr. Kisaragi. Honey and her allies investigate the evil schemes of Panther Claw, a criminal secret society, but Honey doesn't realize that the leader of Panther Claw is already closer than she thinks...
I *assume* that this is also a reboot, as opposed to a sequel or all-new story. The original Go Nagai manga dates back to the mid 70s. :zomg: Another one I'm very interested in.

Devil's Line

Genre: Action, Drama, Vampire
Animation Studio: Platinum Vision
Director: Tokumoto Yoshinobu

Tsukasa, a college student, is rescued from an attack by a devil, one of many vampires that can blend in among the human population. Anzai, her savior, is a half-devil who exploits his supernatural gifts as a member of a shadowy police task force that specializes in devil-related crime in Tokyo. As Anzai continues to keep guard over Tsukasa, the two quickly forge a tentative bond—one that Anzai fears will test his iron-clad rule of never drinking human blood...
Yes, this has the same director as Comic Girls a couple of boxes up. Interesting, given the completely different styles, and the fact he's not directed anything previously! This looks okay, but I could see it being overshadowed by the more established Tokyo Ghoul.

Dorei-ku The Animation

Genre: Psychological, Drama
Animation Studio: Zero-G
Japanese Airdate: Apr 13, 2018
Director: Kuraya Ryouichi (Tsugumomo)

What if you could enslave anyone you ever wanted? Well, this comes close. The SCM lets you enslave anyone who is also wearing an SCM, at a price. One must win over the other, at the cost of anything, in order for the other to become their slave
Interesting. It'd be too dark for me if the characters could literally enslave anyone, but by the sounds of things they're all willing participants in this game.

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Genre: Action, Mecha, Military
Animation Studio: Xebec
Director: Nakayama Katsuichi (Nishi no Yoki Majo: Astraea Testament)

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory is the fourth anime from the Full Metal Panic franchise
Another big sequel, at least for longer-term anime fans! I wasn't hugely impressed with the first anime though, and didn't watch Fumoffu or Second Raid, so won't bother with this.

Gegege no Kitarou (2018)

Genre: Comedy, Demons, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Toei Animation
Japanese Airdate: Apr 1, 2018
Director: Ogawa Kouji (Eiga Precure All Stars New Stage 2: Kokoro no Tomodachi, Eiga Precure All Stars New Stage 3: Eien no Tomodachi)

Sixth adaptation of Gegege no Kitarou.
Thought that Captain Tsubasa and Cutie Honey were old? The first anime adaptation of the late Shigeru Mizuki's manga aired in black and white in 1968, and has had at least one new series each decade since. I definitely want to see this 50th anniversary reboot.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Drama
Animation Studio: Production I.G
Director: Tada Shunsuke (Kuroko no Baske, Starmyu)

In humanity's distant future, two interstellar states—the monarchic Galactic Empire and the democratic Free Planets Alliance—are embroiled in a never-ending war. The story focuses on the exploits of rivals Reinhard von Müsel and Yang Wen Li as they rise to power and fame in the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance.
Apparently we don't have enough classic series remakes yet this season, so here's Legend of the Galactic Heroes as well! :zomg: I love the 80s OVA series, but it's long and can be off-putting at 110 episodes; hopefully this 12 ep reboot will attract some new fans.

Golden Kamuy

Genre: Action, Adventure, Historical
Animation Studio: Geno Studio
Director: Nanba Hitoshi (Heroman, Gosick)

In Hokkaido, the far northern lands of Japan, Sugimoto survived the Russo-Japanese war of the Meiji era. Nicknamed "Sugimoto the Immortal" during the war, he now seeks the riches promised by the gold rush in hopes of saving the widowed wife of his now deceased comrade from the war. During his hunt of gold, he finds hints of a hidden stash of gold by corrupt criminals. Partnering with an Ainu girl that saves his life from the harsh climates of the north, they venture into a survival adventure to race against the criminals that seek the hidden stash.
This is a must-see for me. I don't know of any other series set in Hokkaido during this period, and a hunt for gold in a harsh snowy land inhabited by criminals certainly appeals.

Gundam Build Divers

Genre: Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Director: Watada Shin`ya (Gundam Build Fighters Try, Gekijouban Aikatsu Stars!)

In the near future, Gunpla Battles are held in a new massive multiplayer online game called "Gunpla Battle Nexus Online" (GBN), where players immerse themselves and their Gunpla in a virtual world and battle other players around the world. Riku Minami, a 14-year-old student, looks to follow the footsteps of top Gunpla Diver Kyoya Kujo with his Gundam 00 Diver and his ragtag team.
A new series from the Gundam Build franchise, which sees kids build miniature models and battle each other, rather than the 'real robot' warfare of the main Gundam franchise. Good stuff, but I don't think I'll have room for it on my own watching list.

Gurazeni

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Sports
Animation Studio: Studio Deen
Japanese Airdate: Apr, 2018
Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Nazo no Kanojo X, Uchuu Kyoudai)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6e96yp

This is the story of Natsunosuke Bonda, a pro baseball player—a relief pitcher who has been playing pro in a team called Spiders for 8 years. The team operates as a highly-stratified society, where the player's performance determines his annual salary. Natsunosuke is one of the highest paid players in the game. He measures how good players are by how much money they make, and he intends to be on top and stay there, and as such is always looking for players to challenge and does everything to ensure that he is better than they are.
There are a lot of sports anime out there, but few that focus on professional teams and players! Usually it's the struggles of underdog high school clubs, and protagonists who're completely new to the sport. I'd be interested to see how this differs as a result.

High School DxD Hero

Genre: Action, Comedy, Ecchi
Animation Studio: Passione
Japanese Airdate: Apr 10, 2018
Director: Sueda Yoshifumi (Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. (2013), Rail Wars!)

Fourth season of High School DxD.
Sequel~ I've not watched any of the three previous series, and after seeing the trailer for Hero, I don't feel like I've missed out on much.

Hinamatsuri

Genre: Comedy, Sci-Fi, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: feel.
Japanese Airdate: Apr 6, 2018
Director: Oikawa Kei (Minami-ke Okaeri, Outbreak Company)

One night, a strange object falls on the head of Nitta, a member of the yakuza. Inside the box is a strange young girl named Hina. She has tremendous supernatural powers, and Nitta finds himself reluctantly taking her in. Her powers can come in handy for his yakuza business, but he also runs the risk of her using them on him! Not to mention, if she doesn't use her powers, she will eventually go berserk and destroy everything around her. Nitta and Hina's strange life together is just beginning...
A slightly different take on the whole 'girl with magical powers falls from the sky' trope, with its adult yakuza male protagonist, and the deadpan Hina threatening to destroy everything. Trailer was great.

Hisone to Maso-tan

Genre: Military, Fantasy, Drama
Animation Studio: Bones
Director: Kobayashi Hiroshi (Kimi no Iru Machi: Tasogare Kousaten, Kiznaiver)

Straightforward and innocent Hisone Amakasu is a Self-Defense Force rookie stationed at the Air Self-Defense Force's Gifu Base. She was struggling with the fact that she sometimes hurts people unintentionally by her innocent words and decided to join the Air Self-Defense Force, hoping to maintain a certain distance from people. This decision led her to a fateful encounter which profoundly changed her life. It was the "OTF" dragon hidden in the base and it chose Hisone as his pilot. When it soared into the sky with Hisone, her fate as a dragon pilot was decided. It is said that dragons have a key to the future of the world...
This all looks so cute! But with the military and drama tags, perhaps it won't be the nice 'slice of life with SD dragons' that it first appeared to be.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2nd Season: Sono Ni

Genre: Comedy, Demons, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Studio Deen
Director: Yoneda Kazuhiro (Akatsuki no Yona, Kabukibu!)

The second cour of Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2.
Why they're calling this S2 part 2 instead of S3 is beyond me... but hey, more Hozuki! I'm not complaining about that.

Inazuma Eleven: Ares no Tenbin

Genre: Sports, Football
Animation Studio: OLM
Director: Kamakura Yumi (Santa Company)

Inazuma Eleven Ares will be set in a parallel world, taking place after the events of the first game, and develop the story from the perspectives of three protagonists—Ryouhei Haizaki, Asuto Inamori, and Yuuma Nosaka.

The story revolves around a group of boys living on an island who love to play soccer. Their soccer club is suddenly abolished, and the only way they can regain it is to win the Football Frontier. Protagonist Asuto Inamori and company leave the island for Tokyo to attend Raimon Junior High School and take on the Football Frontier. But their first match is against the number one-ranked Seishou Gakuen.
If the character designs for Captain Tsubasa are too dated for your liking, here's a bright and wacky football anime rebooted from the 2000s. Interesting that they're going for a reset, and deviating from the original story.

Isekai Izakaya: Koto Aitheria no Izakaya Nobu

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Japanese Airdate: Apr, 2018
Director: Ono Katsumi (Hataraki Man, Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ )

The novels center on a bar called "Nobu"—located in Kyoto, Japan, but with a door that is connected to the bar in another world. The visitors include denizens of the other world, and customers seek out its excellent "Toriaezu Nama" ale and cuisine.
How's this any different from last year's Isekai Shokudou? Aside from the seeming lack of elves, dragons, mysterious door and all the other things that made Isekai Shokudou good? [EDIT] This series will have half-length (15 minute) episodes.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Juushinki Pandora

Genre: Mecha, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Satelight
Director: Satou Hidekazu (Nobunaga the Fool, Aquarion Logos)

The new series is set in a near-future world where the boundary between human being and AI is vague. A rapid biological evolution, similar to "Cambrian Explosion," is caused by one incident. This incident turns into the genesis of a new jostle for supremacy, and the influence of the evolution goes beyond biological framework and spreads to various kinds of materials and technologies. The era of massive evolution involving diverse existences, such as human, machines, and biotechnologies, is coming. Characters fight an existential war in such a world..
The synopsis uses all sorts of big words in an attempt to convince you it's something new and exciting... but the trailer just seems like your standard humans in mechs vs generic mutant monsters fare. Not interested.

Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi

Genre: Demons, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Gonzo
Director: Okuda Yoshiko

Female college student Aoi inherited her deceased grandfather's ability to see ayakashi. One day, while Aoi is feeding some ayakashi, a demon appears! He declares that Aoi's grandfather owed a great debt, and as compensation, Aoi must marry the demon! Aoi refuses, and decides to pay off the debt by working.
Obligatory slice of life show featuring a human who can see creatures invisible to everyone else. Meh, Hozuki's the only demon I need this season.

Kiratto Pri-chan

Genre: Magic, Music, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Tatsunoko Production
Director: Hiroshi Ikehata (Sore ga Seiyuu!, Akiba`s Trip the Animation)

First-year middle school girls Mirai Momoyama and Emo Moegi are two aspiring idols who decide to use the "Pri☆Chan System," a system used by famous people and companies to broadcast content. Like many girls starting their own channels and uploading content, the pair decide to become their own producers, starting their own channel in an attempt to become Pri☆Chan idols.
So it's basically Youtube, then? No trailer for this one, unfortunately, but as I haven't seen the franchise's earlier offerings, I hadn't planned to watch this anyway.

Ladyspo

Genre: Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: :iiam:
Director: Kimura Hiroshi (Hamatora The Animation, Musekinin Galaxy Tylor)

The anime is a science-fiction comedy where various pro sports bounty hunters fight each other in sporting events. The story centers on Arigetti, Korupi, and Sabina, three women in a team who participate in various sports
There's even less information to go by here, we don't even know who's animating it! Could well be a short too, given that the director has only ever worked on one regular-length series in the past. [EDIT] This series will have short (4 minute) episodes.

Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari

Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Director: Iwasaki Yoshiaki (Love Hina, Zero no Tsukaima)

There is a world where fantastic beasts called "Spirals" are born from isolation. Those who can defeat the beasts are called "Periods." Haru is an apprentice Period who belongs to the Arc End 8th Branch. However, after a mysterious theft incident, there is an economic collapse, and the Arc End headquarters abandons the 8th Division, leaving only three Periods left, including Haru. Haru and the other two Periods start their work to rebuild the 8th Division.
And there I was thinking that this series would be about the menopause... that really is an unfortunate choice of name. :p: If you can get past that, looks like a fun fantasy series~

Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katori no Nazotoki File

Genre: Mystery, Comedy, Kids
Animation Studio: LIDENFILMS
Director: Mitsunaka Susumu (Cuticle Tantei Inaba, Haikyuu!!)

The story is set in London and follows Katrielle as she solves mysteries with her talking dog Sherlo.
I do like a good mystery series, but I feel this is aimed at a younger audience, and at 50 episodes is a bit too long for my liking anyway. Haven't played any of the Layton games, either.

Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS

Genre: Game, Psychological
Director: Yoshida Risako (Diabolik Lovers (2015), Diabolik Lovers More, Blood)

The second season of Lostorage incited WIXOSS.
More creepy card games~ I didn't enjoy the first Lostorage series as much as the two Selector series before it, so may give this a miss.

Lupin III: Part V

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
Animation Studio: Telecom Animation Film
Director: Yano Yuuichirou (Mujin Wakusei Survive, Moyashimon)

In the new series, Lupin III will travel to France — the home of his grandfather and namesake, Maurice Leblanc's master thief character Arsène Lupin.
Another old franchise, though it's only been a couple of years since Part IV; I enjoyed watching that, but now that I'm watching fewer series, I'd rather something with more of a running plotline.

Mahou Shoujo Ore

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Magic
Animation Studio: Pierrot Plus
Director: Kawasaki Itsurou (Koukaku no Regios, Sengoku Basara)

This story is about a 15-year-old girl who is a newbie idol in love with her best friend's brother who is also a popular idol. But she runs into a scary yakuza guy and finds out that her mother was an ex-magical girl, and the yakuza guy was her mascot. Her love interest gets kidnapped by demons that look like burly men with cute squirrel heads. So she contracts the yakuza to become a magical girl, which in this story means she turns into a handsome guy in a magical girl outfit. On top of that, her love interest shows an attraction toward her magical guy form. Her best friend turns out to be in love with her and also becomes a magical cross-dressing guy to save her life.

Thus, their manager, who is a magical girl geek, then decides to turn them into an idol unit.
I've seen some weird things in anime over the years, but that synopsis made me do a double-take. And then the trailer seemed to confirm that yes, it is an accurate description of the storyline. Wow. I might have to watch this one.

Mahou Shoujo Site

Genre: Horror, Psychological, Drama
Animation Studio: production doA
Director: Matsubayashi Tadahito (OVA Tokyo Ghoul)

Asagiri Aya is a young girl who has fallen victim to bullies at her school. Looking for a way to escape her troubles, she looks to the internet for distraction, when a mysterious website called "Magical Girl Site" appears. Simply viewing the page is all it takes to hurtle Aya headlong into the deadly world of the Magical Girl Apocalypse. There, it's fight or die, against a seemingly endless array of savagely adorable, frilly-skirted killing machines, each armed with magical powers and an unquenchable thirst for blood and chaos.
This one isn't your average cutesy magical girl series either... and unlike the likes of Madoka Magica or Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, it's not even trying to hide its dark side. Maybe that'll work in its favour, or maybe it'll be just another subpar copycat, we shall soon see.

Major 2nd

Genre: Comedy, Sports, Drama
Animation Studio: NHK Enterprises
Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)

Daigo is born as the son of Gorou, a father who is too great. What path will Daigo, who is burdened with great expectations, take in baseball?
More baseball - and yes, by the same director as this season's other baseball series Gurazeni. The guy must be a big fan. :p: Major is another fairly big franchise, going back to the early 2000s, though this series seems to be focusing on the former protagonist's son.

Megalo Box

Genre: Action, Drama, Sports
Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment
Director: Moriyama You

JD (Junk Dog) participates in fixed boxing matches in an underground ring in order to live. Today, he enters the ring again, but he encounters a certain person. JD wants to take on a challenge that risks everything.
This season truly is all about the classic sports series revivals – this is based on a spin-off of the 1968 manga Ashita no Joe, which like Gegege no Kitarou is celebrating its 50th anniversary.

Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku Kitan

Genre: Romance
Animation Studio: Zero-G
Director: Takata Masahiro (Ganbare! Oden-kun, Super Seishun Brothers)

The Taishou era didn't end in 15 years, but went on for another 25. In order to protect her waning family, a girl resolves to marry a man she doesn't even know the name of. However, just before the marriage was to take place, the girl's younger brother mysteriously committed suicide by self-immolation and was found holding an old book in his hands. Appearing before the bewildered young girl was the "Imperial Library Intelligence Asset Management Bureau," more commonly referred to as "Fukurou." According to these men, there exists "Maremono," which are books that greatly affect their readers. On top of that, ever since the incident involving the girl's younger brother, she unwittingly gains the ability to see "Auras" (the sentiments of the Maremono which manifest as bright lights and are usually invisible to humans). It was as though fate were trying to drag the young girl in its flames. And then, even though apprehensive, the girl chooses to venture outside her bird cage. Jealousy, hatred, scorn, compassion, and love. What awaited the girl was the darkness of betrayal that had already begun to bewitchingly inlay the imperial capital. Toyed by and swayed within that darkness, will the young girl finally reach the truth after her struggles, or...?
Is that a synopsis, or an essay? Despite all those words, and the trailer, I don't really know what this is supposed to be about, but I find myself not particularly caring either.

Persona 5 the Animation

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Supernatural
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Ishihama Masashi (Shinsekai yori, Glass no Hana to Kowasu Sekai)

The official Twitter account for Atlus' Persona franchise announced that the Persona 5 game is getting a television anime series by A-1 Pictures
I haven't played the game, but it seems popular judging by the cosplays! And I did enjoy the Persona 4 anime, plenty of style and nice character designs. This one is a maybe.

Piano no Mori

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Music
Animation Studio: Fukushima Gainax
Director: Nakatani Gaku

A tranquil tale about two boys from very different upbringings. On one hand you have Kai, born as the son of a prostitute, who's been playing the abandoned piano in the forest near his home ever since he was young. And on the other you have Syuhei, practically breast-fed by the piano as the son of a family of prestigious pianists. Yet it is their common bond with the piano that eventually intertwines their paths in life.
I knew Piano no Mori had a movie in 2007; what I didn't know until now is that this was adapted from a long-running manga from the 90s, so presumably there's plenty of material for a full TV series.

Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori

Genre: Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Zexcs
Japanese Airdate: Apr 11, 2018
Director: Kamiya Tomomi (Hikari: Kariya o Tsunagu Monogatari)

Four men—Gure, Sui, Tokitaka, and Tsubaki—each help run a Japanese tea shop together called Rokuhoudou. When one visits the shop, they are greeted warmly, is served with tea, and are often helped with any problems they may have.
Slice of life series, nice setting, pleasant enough character designs; hard to tell how good a series like this will be based on the promo information alone though, as it's all dependant on the writing being good and the characters being likable.

Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru: Dances with the Dragons

Genre: Action, Drama, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Seven Arcs Pictures
Director: Hanai Hirokazu

The series takes place in an alternate world, staged mostly in the city of Eridana, whose territory is half in the Tseberun Dragon Empire, and half in the Lapetodes Seven Cities Alliance. Each half is separated by the Orielal River. In this world, special abilities called spell formulas (咒式, jushiki) exist, which are essentially chemical reactions augmented through special weapons that cause a magic spell-like effect. These special weapons are called Magic Staff weapons, and are as varied as regular weapons are. Spell formulists use these spell formulas to fight with "Beasts of Abhorrent Form," natural creatures that use spell formulas and pose a threat to humans, such as Dragons, Aions, or Enormes. The story focuses on the two main characters, Gaius Sorel and Gigina Ashley-Bufh, the only two employees of spell formulist dispatch office Ashley-Bufh & Sorel Co. They are met with a variety of requests from a variety of clients, all requiring the adept use of spell formulas.
Another needlessly long synopsis full of big words that mean nothing. :yawn: This was originally slated for the Autumn 2017 season before being delayed half a year; it didn't impress me much then, and still doesn't now.

Shiyan Pin Jiating

Genre: Sci-Fi, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Big Firebird Cultural Media Co., Ltd.
Director: :iiam:

A mad scientist couple has been arrested for conducting illegal studies, allegedly performing genetic modification on five of their children. Youngest child Dannis is the only one who grew up as a normal human, and has to tend to rest of his siblings and to try to find a medicine to turn them into normal humans again.

Dog human, plant gene, spider gene, as well as mind reading, how will these family members who grew up in the laboratory survive in the outside world?!
I thought this looked like a cute slice of life series with different fantasy races living together, but nope! That's quite the dark backstory. This is the Spring season's Chinese offering, and they're looking a lot more impressive these days. [EDIT] This series will have half-length (15 minute) episodes.

Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Toutsuki Ressha-hen

Genre: Ecchi, School, Shounen
Director: Yonetani Yoshitomo (Betterman, Vatican Kiseki Chousakan)

The second course of Shokugeki no Souma season 3.
'Series 3, part 2'... this new trend in series numbering is going to be really confusing if it gets an actual 4th series down the line. I didn't watch 'part 1' though.

Souten no Ken Re:Genesis

Genre: Action, Historical, Martial Arts
Animation Studio: Polygon Pictures
Director: Kazumi Yoshio

A mysterious man known as "the King of Death" roams the streets of pre-war Shanghai in this action-packed prequel to Fist of the North Star.

Shanghai in the 1930s is a dangerous place. Foreign governments and Chinese factions have carved the city into different quarters, each with its own laws and government, and all rife with corruption. As the major powers vie for political control, the streets are left to local gangs. Life is cheap, and death is always near.

In days past, one man walked these mean streets battling the forces of evil. He was known only as Yan Wang, "the King of Death." Few knew who he really was, but many knew that he was a master of Hokuto Shinken - Fist of the North Star - a lethal martial art. He disappeared years ago after dispatching the city's worst gangsters, and is now rumored to be in Japan. Various people have come to Japan in search of him, but who will find him first?
ANOTHER anniversary reboot, Souten no Ken is a prequel to the better known Hokuto no Ken, or 'Fist of the North Star'. The manga is now 35 years old. :moon: Odd choice of animation studio though, I can't see Polygon's signature 3D style going down well with older fans...

Steins;Gate 0

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Animation Studio: White Fox
Director: Kawamura Ken`ichi (SoniAni: Super Sonico The Animation)

The dark untold story of Steins;Gate that leads with the eccentric mad scientist Okabe, struggling to recover from a failed attempt at rescuing Kurisu. He decides to give up and abandons his lively scientist alter ego, in pursuit to forget the past. When all seems to be normal, he is seemingly pulled back into the past by meeting an acquaintance of Kurisu, who tells him that they have begun testing a device that stores the memory of a human and creates a simulation of them with their characteristics and personalities. Okabe begins testing and finds out that the simulation of Kurisu has brought back anguish and some new unexpected tragedies.

Zero is a side story that explores events from the Beta Attractor Field's future that contribute in making the end of the original story possible.
Here we are finally, the most highly anticipated series of Spring 2018. A sequel/alternative ending to one of my all-time favourite series. Of course I'm picking this up.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Studio 3Hz
Director: Sakoi Masayuki (Strawberry Panic, Needless)

Karen Kohiruimaki always felt out of place in the real world. Due to her extreme height, she found it hard to make friends with other girls her age. Everything changes when she's introduced to VR and Gun Gale Online. In GGO, Karen is free to play the cute, chibi avatar of her dreams! Can Karen find friendship in this bullet-ridden MMO...?
Another heavily-hyped spin-off! I'm not a huge fan of SAO, but since this features none of the original cast, and has character designs by Kuroboshi Kouhaku of Kino no Tabi fame, it doesn't look bad at all. Probably still won't watch it, mind.

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai

Genre: Comedy, Romance
Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Director: Yamazaki Mitsue (Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun)

In the story, Mitsuyoshi Tada, a boy who has never known love, is taking pictures of the cherry blossoms in full bloom when he meets Teresa Wagner, a transfer student from Luxembourg. Upon arriving in Japan, she got lost, separated from her travel companion. Mitsuyoshi helps her and brings her to his grandfather's coffee shop.
A decent looking romance series, quite the departure from Doga Kobo's usual gag comedy/4-koma offerings. Romance isn't really my genre, though.

Tokyo Ghoul:Re

Genre: Action, Horror, Psychological
Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot
Director: Watanabe Odahiro (Soul Buster: Shousei Ran)

Two years have passed since the CCG's raid on Anteiku. Although the atmosphere in Tokyo has changed drastically due to the increased influence of the CCG, ghouls continue to pose a problem as they have begun taking caution, especially the terrorist organization Aogiri Tree, who acknowledge the CCG's growing threat to their existence.

The creation of a special team, known as the Quinx Squad, may provide the CCG with the push they need to exterminate Tokyo's unwanted residents. As humans who have undergone surgery in order to make use of the special abilities of ghouls, they participate in operations to eradicate the dangerous creatures. The leader of this group, Haise Sasaki, is a half-ghoul, half-human who has been trained by famed special class investigator, Kishou Arima. However, there's more to this young man than meets the eye, as unknown memories claw at his mind, slowly reminding him of the person he used to be.
The last spin-off/sequel of the season. Finally. But quite the big name to end on! I never entirely got the hype around Tokyo Ghoul as an anime-only viewer; it had some good ideas, but the execution wasn't great. Will be skipping this.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby

Genre: Sports
Animation Studio: P.A. Works
Director: Oikawa Kei (Minami-ke Okaeri, Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!)

Uma Musume (Horse Girls), girls endowed with excellent running capability, aim to become top idols and compete in the national sports entertainment show "Twinkle Series."
Horse girls racing, and also being idols? I certainly wouldn't have expected P.A. Works of all studios to be behind this one! Again, the director is working on two shows this season, the other being Hinamatsuri.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii

Genre: Comedy, Romance
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Hiraike Yoshimasa (Amagami SS, Gugure! Kokkuri-san)

After discovering that they work at the same company, a gaming crazed otaku and a fujoshi reunite for the first time since middle school. After some post-work drinking sessions they begin dating, but will it be a perfect relationship for the two?
And so my Spring preview ends (:yay: ) almost the same way as it began, with an awkward otaku romance series. Though this one interests me more than 3D Kanojo since they're both nerds, and both adults. Still won't bother watching it though.

All the info has been sourced from Anichart, AniDB, Youtube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Watching:

Boku no Hero Academia 3

Hozuki no Reitetsu 2nd Season: Sono Ni

Golden Kamuy

Steins;Gate 0

Cutie Honey Universe

Comic Girls

Amanchu! Advance

Dropped:

Gurazeni

Mahou Shoujo Site

Gegege no Kitarou (2018)

Mahou Shoujo Ore

Caligula

Hinamatsuri

Persona 5 the Animation

Dorei-ku The Animation

Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari

Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katori no Nazotoki File

Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru: Dances with the Dragons

Devil's Line

Hisone to Maso-tan
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Replaced trailer for Mahou Shoujo Ore with the English subbed one from Crunchyroll.

AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Replaced trailer for Lostorage conflated WIXOSS:

AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Right, let's get the new season started.

Gegege no Kitarou (2018)

People in Shibuya are spontaneously turning into trees, and nobody is sure why. That is until main character Mana summons GeGeGe no Kitarou via the youkai mailbox... once she remembers how to write a letter, that is. Kitarou's father (a talking eyeball) is even more perplexed by modern smartphone technology; this kind of humour works well to bring a 50 year old franchise into the late 2010s, IMO. Kitarou manages to defeat the youkai responsible, but it was no easy task - and the episode ends on quite the cliffhanger too! The music and characters are fun, animation is decent enough for a kids show. All in all, a solid (re)introductory episode. I may pick this up.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
There are two episodes out already for this one, but to keep things unbiased, this first impressions post only looks at the 1st episode.

Horse girls! They can outrun a car. Their kicks can send a grown man flying several metres. They have weird racehorse names. They have pointy ears, and tails... but not long faces. They like to race competitively. And for some reason, after the race is over, the course transforms into a stage, and the girls who finished 1st through 3rd put on an idol performance for the audience. It's all a bit odd... but strangely charming. Our protagonist Special Week (yep, that's her name) is your typical energetic, gifted but slightly air-headed character, who aims to be the best horse girl in Japan, so enrolls in a training academy - and it seems as though it's going to be typical highschool hijinks from there. Not bad at all.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
As above, this is based purely on the first episode:

Mahou Shoujo Ore

Protagonist Saki is an idol (they always are these days), but she isn't a very successful one. Might have something to do with the fact her singing is horrendously off-key! Her mother used to be a magical girl, but now that she's grown too old for the job, her mascot sidekick (who looks like your stereotypical yakuza thug) scouts Saki as her replacement. By shouting the name of her crush out loud, she's able to transform into a magical girl, complete with pink frilly dress, magical stick, and handsome male body. A fast-paced parody of the genre, but with few jokes that I haven't seen done by other series in the past. Production values are sufficient, assuming this will be more of a comedy than an action series.
Kawaii Neko 7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's weird because my calendar is full of anime dates!

I can't wait for:

MY HERO ACADEMIA - April 7th!
TOKYO GHOUL
SWORD ART ONLINE ALTERNATIVE!

This holiday will be full of anime watching and just what the doctor perscribed to relax for the hell in June!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Slowly but surely catching up:

Comic Girls

Certainly the most plain synopsis of the four I've sampled so far, with no youkai, magical girls or horse idols. Just a bunch of manga artists living together and being cute. The characters themselves are doubly important as a result, because if they don't grab you, there's not much else there. Thankfully, Comic Girls' cast were all really likable, four very different personalities, and each targeting a different genre or demographic with their works in order to maximize the jokes. Said jokes are nothing that original, but they're presented well - the show's 4-koma manga roots clearly show. Animation is superb for a studio that's barely made anything else. Surprisingly, the best first episode so far for me.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Last one for tonight:

"Quite the departure from Doga Kobo's usual gag comedy offerings", I said in my first impressions post before this aired. I was wrong. Despite the fairly serious romance vibes the trailer gave off, this first episode also had all of the usual slapstick humour I associate with the studio. Main character meets a strange foreigner obsessed with an old samurai show, and from then onwards they keep meeting - she even ends up staying next door to his house, and transferring to his school. It's heavily implied that she's no ordinary tourist or schoolgirl, too... Decent, but possibly not for me, I don't have much patience for romance.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
My first sequel of the season:

This has all the characters we know and love from the originals, and feels very much like your classic Lupin series; however, it was also keen to show that it's set in the present/near future, jamming in as much technology as possible! Lupin targets a dark web drug superstore, breaking into the home of its programmer, and getting her to show him the backdoor in the site's security. In response to having all his money stolen, the site's owner uses the power of social media to start a manhunt, awarding points to anyone who can locate the thief. With the whole world armed with smartphone cameras, the 'Lupin Game' is well and truly on! I'm really interested to see how this plays out, so will likely keep it on after all!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Feeling too happy? Want to watch something that will cancel that out straight away? This could be the series for you~ [Trigger warnings: animal cruelty, rape, physical and psychological abuse... pretty much everything]

Mahou Shoujo Site

There are about as many dark magical girl series being made as there are regular ones shows these days. But while Madoka Magica and Ikusei Keikaku featured happy, innocent girls tricked into taking on a role far darker than first meets the eye, this protagonist's pre-magical life is already hell. Bullied at school, abused by her brother at home, ignored by her teacher and parents... then suddenly, a weird website offers her the power to take revenge, and a magical 'stick' (pictured) appears in her locker. It's hard to imagine how this contract could make her life any worse - but then, it's got a whole series to prove otherwise. Didn't exactly make for comfortable viewing, so intrigued as I am, I may give future eps a miss.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
The highest rated first episode on Anime-Planet out of those I've sampled this season:

Hinamatsuri

I thought the combination of yakuza protagonist and psychic girl would be funnier, but it didn't do much for me. She appeared out of nowhere, threatened him into buying her stuff by holding his collection of priceless vases to ransom... and the guy just goes along with it with barely any fuss. With him so easygoing, and her so deadpan, potentially funny situations just fizzle out with no reaction. I did like it when she single-handedly threw an entire rival yakuza group through the windows of their own building, though. Maybe it's taking the heartwarming approach instead, but I'm too cold and callous to care about that. :yawn: High production values, looks and sounds great, probably just not my kind of series.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Sport is Entertainment. :blow:

Gurazeni

Sports series that focus on professionals as opposed to school teams are a rarity. But even among pros, there are superstars who receive huge salaries, and there are relief pitchers like our protagonist Bonda, who mostly gets brought out to deal with single left-handed batters. The entire episode focused on his obsession with his salary - about how every game he plays, how long he can pitch for, and how 'big' the players that he strikes out are all affect his earnings. How players have no way of knowing how long their careers will last, and how there are few opportunities for well-paid commentary or coaching jobs after retirement. Different, certainly, but not very fun to watch. I prefer a sport anime with more action.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Big sequel time:

Boku no Hero Academia 3

This is the third series; assuming you're not jumping into the franchise part-way through, you ought to know by now what to expect, and whether you like it or not. :p: You'll be glad to know that the animation is as great as ever. As far as re-introductory episodes go, it was quite standard - certainly watchable, but it did little to forward the plot. Instead we got to see Class 1-A mess around in the pool, as well as short recaps of all their powers, protagonist Midoriya's journey from quirkless wimp to All Might's successor, and some of the other major developments from the last two series. Then some foreshadowing at the end, suggesting we'll be seeing more of the League of Villains in the near future. Definitely picked up~
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Card gaming is Entertainment. :blow:

Following events in Lostorage Incited WIXOSS, the world is now free from the treacherous game. However, WIXOSS veteran and former cardgirl Mizushima Kiyoi fears that it's only a matter of time before the cycle starts again, so approaches other former players (i.e. the protagonists of Lostorage Incited and Selector Infected) in hopes of finding allies. Her plan involves tracking down 'Carnival', another LRIG who gained the body of the previous series' antagonist, and who does seem the type to stir up trouble. But will the survivors of earlier games, still scarred by the loss of friends and memories, be willing to put themselves through it all again? I'm not sure I can be bothered watching more of the same myself. :p:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Second sequel of the day. :blow:

Hozuki no Reitetsu 2nd Season: Sono Ni

Despite the weird series numbering, definitely picked up! This is a comedy series with fairly stand-alone episodes, so no recap was necessary or given. It just got straight back into discussions about Japanese hell, its different levels, and the types of torture that people can expect to suffer for the rest of eternity in each. And they manage to make it hilarious. The first segment started with a look at how hell does its recruiting (protip: being attractive, scary or an unbelievable idiot apparently helps), then an amusing discussion about fraud and how it's changed over the ages. The second half's competitive eating wasn't bad either. Production-wise, as great as ever, though the new opening theme isn't as catchy.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Sequel. :blow:

Amanchu! Advance

A highly relaxing slice of life / iyashikei anime, focusing on a small group of friends who like diving. The only real excitement occured after Pikari got into an outside mixed hot spring without her swimsuit on, and had to try phoning all her friends to help her out of the situation. There was also the question of how long Futaba and Pikari's friendship would last, with the former worried that they would drift apart once they reach adulthood - something the latter was quick to disagree with. Decent animation, fun chibi moments, and a relaxing soundtrack. I don't really know why I like series like this; it has no plot, and less jokes than the likes of Comic Girls. But I do, so it goes on the maybe list for now.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Not a sequel. :eek4:

Caligula

Sometimes, having a mysterious first episode that raises a ton of questions and leaves the viewer with no idea what's going on can actually be a good thing, so long as there's some sort of hook, something that makes you want to stick around until those questions are answered. Other times, however, it can just bore and alienate the viewer. This is one of those other times. The main character is obsessed with psychology and philosophy, and is pretty much a walking textbook, spouting facts that neither I or his classmates care about. And then half the school turn into monsters and start attacking the other half. I don't get it. Judging by reviews elsewhere, few other people do either. Dropped.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.41%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.88%

Watched Threads