The Student Room Group

Best Way to Remove Social Media from my Life??

I graduate from university in a few months and I want to take it upon myself to slowly remove social media from my life, as it has become a clear point of stress/anxiety/depression and even just general jealousy that id rather not have.

Before people comment “just delete the apps” etc, I’ve been on social media for over 7 years now, to just suddenly remove it would result in me going straight back and downloading them again - it’s not as easy as all that.
It’s getting over things like the “fear of missing out”, possible loss of friendships, missed opportunities, the routine of just using social media on a daily basis, people asking why you’ve removed yourself from certain platforms, etc..

Anyone got any tips? Ironic I know that I’m asking on a social media platform, but I’m more talking about the typical ones: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (especially), Snapchat, etc.
Original post by Lily048
I graduate from university in a few months and I want to take it upon myself to slowly remove social media from my life, as it has become a clear point of stress/anxiety/depression and even just general jealousy that id rather not have.

Before people comment “just delete the apps” etc, I’ve been on social media for over 7 years now, to just suddenly remove it would result in me going straight back and downloading them again - it’s not as easy as all that.
It’s getting over things like the “fear of missing out”, possible loss of friendships, missed opportunities, the routine of just using social media on a daily basis, people asking why you’ve removed yourself from certain platforms, etc..

Anyone got any tips? Ironic I know that I’m asking on a social media platform, but I’m more talking about the typical ones: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (especially), Snapchat, etc.

I quit Facebook by going off it for one month to see how I felt. Forums aside, I am not on any other social media. Didn't miss it, was able to keep in touch with the really important people just fine.

One stat that really hit home to me is the amount of time we spent on FB. We spend an average of 4 days a year on FB. It's a colossal waste of time ( unless you run a business).

Another point about social media is that it's a form of free labour: We create the content for these social media companies. Think about it; if everyone in the world stopped posting content to social media you would lose interest in it pretty fast. Last time I checked Insta, FB or Twitter don't pay the likes of you or me to take time to put content online for other people to look at. Without our (societies) content those sites would go bust in a very short time.

As you have attested, there are numerous studies about the negative impacts social media have on our lives and mental health. It encourages some really negative human behaviour (e.g. voyeurism). People are rarely honest about their motivations with using social media. You always hear:

"I just use it to stay in touch with people who live in other countries"
"I use it to find out about news"

As if we didn't have email or instant messaging appsor dedicated news websites.:unimpressed:. If most people were being honest the reasons for being on social media it would probably be:

" I like the rush I get for getting attention and approval, even if it's just digital"
" I like snooping/creeping on people without them knowing"

If I told you you had to work in a job that you would have to do for free, in your own time, that over time would negatively impact your life and encourage some of the worst behaviours we can engage in, you wouldn't be thrilled about that. That's what you're doing.

Go off it from now until April Fools day. See if you feel better, then gradually move off it totally. Been off FB for over 3 years now and don't miss it.
I'm 18 & don't use Snapchat or Instagram anymore and it is so much better.

A tip I have is maybe limiting the amount you are on it, bit by bit, so after a certain time don't go on social media platforms

Hope that helps x
Start with turning your notifications off, thats what I did and it worked for me. Now I only go on facebook or those other apps if someone actually messaged me as to why i'm ignoring them or when I need to talk to someone I have no other ways to contact.
Original post by jestersnow
I quit Facebook by going off it for one month to see how I felt. Forums aside, I am not on any other social media. Didn't miss it, was able to keep in touch with the really important people just fine.

One stat that really hit home to me is the amount of time we spent on FB. We spend an average of 4 days a year on FB. It's a colossal waste of time ( unless you run a business).

Another point about social media is that it's a form of free labour: We create the content for these social media companies. Think about it; if everyone in the world stopped posting content to social media you would lose interest in it pretty fast. Last time I checked Insta, FB or Twitter don't pay the likes of you or me to take time to put content online for other people to look at. Without our (societies) content those sites would go bust in a very short time.

As you have attested, there are numerous studies about the negative impacts social media have on our lives and mental health. It encourages some really negative human behaviour (e.g. voyeurism). People are rarely honest about their motivations with using social media. You always hear:

"I just use it to stay in touch with people who live in other countries"
"I use it to find out about news"

As if we didn't have email or instant messaging appsor dedicated news websites.:unimpressed:. If most people were being honest the reasons for being on social media it would probably be:

" I like the rush I get for getting attention and approval, even if it's just digital"
" I like snooping/creeping on people without them knowing"

If I told you you had to work in a job that you would have to do for free, in your own time, that over time would negatively impact your life and encourage some of the worst behaviours we can engage in, you wouldn't be thrilled about that. That's what you're doing.

Go off it from now until April Fools day. See if you feel better, then gradually move off it totally. Been off FB for over 3 years now and don't miss it.

your not creating content for them, your creating it for yourself.

why would facebook and twitter pay you ? are you paying for their hosting fees and programmers salary
I'd recommend quitting one at a time, instead of all at once. Maybe remove the websites from your bookmarks and move the apps to folder on your 3rd or 4th home screen.
For instagram I never uploaded pictures so that wasn't an issue but I did find myself comparing myself to a lot of people I was following. I ended up unfollowing loads as I realised seeing their pics wasn't making me happy. I still have instagram but I only have my close friends, some cute animals and a couple celebrities I respect. Once you have fewer people to follow, there's less reason to check up on it all the time. Although obviously there is the explore page which is like a black hole.
The snapchat update made it easier to ween myself off it and I find fewer people post on it now anyway so there's not as much to check. I rarely send snapchats to people now just because I cba. I also try not to view as many stories just because I don't want people always seeing my name saying I've viewed their story. I'd recommend again deleting excess contacts.
I deleted my twitter years ago so can't really comment on that one. I just did it one day when I realised how pointless it was and how my tweets and thoughts weren't really that special or worth posting for everyone to see.
Facebook I never post on and the app is so bad it doesn't even show the feed properly so I rarely go on it. I still use messenger quite a lot though.

I used to be way more addicted to social media but since 2012 I've pretty much always had broken phones. Either crappy blackberrys, water damaged iphones or cracked screens. Not being able to use my phone as much really helped.

It's still a struggle though. I think my life would be better if I deleted the instagram app but then I feel like people will think I'm being shtty for not liking their pictures. For facebook I don't really care what other people post but I find myself still a bit obsessed with how I'm perceived and if I'm tagged in good pics. Sometimes I feel like I need to live a perfect life and get a good job etc just for facebook. Again life would be better without it but I don't want to lose contact with people.
Original post by hannah00
your not creating content for them, your creating it for yourself.

why would facebook and twitter pay you ? are you paying for their hosting fees and programmers salary

Other people consume your content. If everyone in the world stopped creating content on say, Twitter, and no one read what you said, you'd still be interested in using Twitter? If you wanted to just create content for yourself you can save pictures or journal entries on your own device or a private cloud drive. By putting it on social media you are intending to broadcast it to a public audience.

The question of payment was rhetorical. Social media platforms generate billions through ads, and they need eyeballs. Without the content you and other users create (for free) they would not have those eyeballs. As you say they pay their software engineers etc... yet there is no financial benefit for personal users generating content. Facebook and Twitter aren't exactly "not for profit" companies. They do what they do for profit, yet users don't share in those profits despite doing 50% (at least) of the work the social media platforms require to stay alive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lily048

1. for facebook you could just get rid of the app that lets you go on the main feed bit and keep the messenger part so you wont miss out on group chats etc

2. for instagram why cant you just delete it? unless you use it for work I dont see what you would miss out on friendship, opportunities wise etc

3. for snapchat same as 2., do you really need both snapchat and facebook messenger to keep in contact with friends etc

4. for twitter, ask yourself why you use it?

At the end of the day you've just got to have a bit of will power and be honest about what you use each social platform for rather than what you think you use it for, you dont need all 4 to keep in touch with friends, you only need 1 as most people have at least facebook. Its just you thinking you will be missing out on opportunities rather than actually missing out, your friends will just text you instead of messaging on social media etc to get hold of you and lets face it how many times a month do you gain 'opportunities' from feeds like instagram, facebook and twitter
am gonna quit fb when graduate. i used messenger as a tool when in uni for group chats
in the last couple of years i quit a forum i used for 7 years, a skype chat for 4 years, and snapchat for idk 2 years maybe. and cutting down does feel abit liberating. i guess it was the constant notifications again and again which was so appealing imo me and many others are addicted to social media i mean every like, message, posts, etc gives a hit of dopamine which makes you feel good right. on my iphone i put restrictions to block adult content mainly cos addicted to that to and also locked access to app store so cant download reddit etc. smartphones are too much of a valuable tool to get rid of
Original post by Jheinexx
Twitter is the home for the most funniest and woke people

so in other words, for the most part its completely useless and it wouldnt negatively impact someones life to stop using it
Original post by Lily048

I find social media to be a huge distraction. Once you're on, you're hooked! Once you get off it, your lie changes forever :smile: but for good. As someone who's never kept their social media, I can tell you that's deleting your App Store, blocking the sites, and deleting all accounts is the best way to not have it! I've never had a Snapchat in my entire life! And I'm about to be an adult soon
Original post by Lily048

In my experience deleting the actual is the best thing to do. After a while it won’t even cross your mind. You could also try deactivating which you can do on Snapchat. It’s all about will power. Once you get through the first week or so you won’t even think about your accounts/social media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending