The Student Room Group

Driving Instructor lacks interest?

I have been with this instructor for a while now and I started with him back in October 2017, I do a lesson every week for 2 hours. To start with he seemed alright, but now things are just awkward. My test is in 3 weeks so I can't really change, but I don't know how to address the problem.

We drive to the test area in complete silence, it is often very awkward. He doesn't speak, no corrections, no praise...nothing. He may occasionally throw in a remark about the weather or something, but literally nothing. When we get to the test area he gives me directions "Head to town centre", "left at the end of the road" etc. The directions are often late and sometimes we approach a roundabout and I have to confirm that it is straight ahead. I spot mistakes that I make and yet he rarely brings them up. Like the other day I realised that I was straddling the lanes a bit on a roundabout, which he failed to point out. Sometimes I would indicate before checking mirrors, automatically I realised the error, but he never mentioned it. He has taught me the manoeuvres, but I am struggling with parking. I feel he doesn't teach me but just expects me to practise myself. He showed me this very odd way of bay parking, my friends who have different instructors learnt a different way. I asked him if I could try this new method, he let me do it but I could tell he wasn't too impressed. I felt like I was teaching him to park, it went very silent after that and we did head back home a bit early.

I feel like he isn't "teaching" but merely going along for a ride. We keep going over hill starts and when I struggle I don't feel like he really helps me to learn from my mistakes. I pay him £40 a lesson and yet my Dad is equally as good as an instructor as him. I am worried I may fail my test as he doesn't point out the mistakes I make and therefore I could be making more mistakes that I don't realise.

Today I have a lesson there is ice and snow, my school has been closed and there is a yellow warning in place for the area. My lesson is in the afternoon and he is suppose to pick me up from school. Yet he has made no effort to contact me and confirm if the lesson is going ahead or is it cancelled. Will he pick me up from school or home? It just seems like he doesn't care.

What can I do? Is there anything I can say to him?
Original post by OwlOfFire
I have been with this instructor for a while now and I started with him back in October 2017, I do a lesson every week for 2 hours. To start with he seemed alright, but now things are just awkward. My test is in 3 weeks so I can't really change, but I don't know how to address the problem.

We drive to the test area in complete silence, it is often very awkward. He doesn't speak, no corrections, no praise...nothing. He may occasionally throw in a remark about the weather or something, but literally nothing. When we get to the test area he gives me directions "Head to town centre", "left at the end of the road" etc. The directions are often late and sometimes we approach a roundabout and I have to confirm that it is straight ahead. I spot mistakes that I make and yet he rarely brings them up. Like the other day I realised that I was straddling the lanes a bit on a roundabout, which he failed to point out. Sometimes I would indicate before checking mirrors, automatically I realised the error, but he never mentioned it. He has taught me the manoeuvres, but I am struggling with parking. I feel he doesn't teach me but just expects me to practise myself. He showed me this very odd way of bay parking, my friends who have different instructors learnt a different way. I asked him if I could try this new method, he let me do it but I could tell he wasn't too impressed. I felt like I was teaching him to park, it went very silent after that and we did head back home a bit early.

I feel like he isn't "teaching" but merely going along for a ride. We keep going over hill starts and when I struggle I don't feel like he really helps me to learn from my mistakes. I pay him £40 a lesson and yet my Dad is equally as good as an instructor as him. I am worried I may fail my test as he doesn't point out the mistakes I make and therefore I could be making more mistakes that I don't realise.

Today I have a lesson there is ice and snow, my school has been closed and there is a yellow warning in place for the area. My lesson is in the afternoon and he is suppose to pick me up from school. Yet he has made no effort to contact me and confirm if the lesson is going ahead or is it cancelled. Will he pick me up from school or home? It just seems like he doesn't care.

What can I do? Is there anything I can say to him?

Its a bit late now. You should have dumped him months ago.

Ask him what he thinks what your weaknesses are and where you need practice.

Dump him after the test or even before and get an instructor who is good and interacts. You could cancel the test and rebook after x lessons with an instructor you like.
You should change instructer, he is making money, you should change Driving test date, and take driving lesson with another instructer x
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Its a bit late now. You should have dumped him months ago.

Ask him what he thinks what your weaknesses are and where you need practice.

Dump him after the test or even before and get an instructor who is good and interacts. You could cancel the test and rebook after x lessons with an instructor you like.

Thanks for your advise. I never knew whether to change and my biggest fear was having to spend months on a waiting list to get a new instructor. I feel like I have to tell him my weaknesses I say to him "I want to do reverse bay parking and hill starts". Then that is what we do for the lesson. He seems to ask me what I want to do and I feel like I am identifying my own weakness rather than him. I don't want to cancel my test as I think I may have a chance of passing. I don't want him to be in the back on my test, he says it would be better if he was so he could identify mistakes I make and so that we could work on them if I fail. I've been waiting for my test for 6 weeks and I am half way there, I've already prepaid him for the next 3 lessons up until my test. If I fail I may stop learning until after my A level exams, then go with another instructor.

I texted him 30 mins ago to ask about my lesson today and he hasn't replied!
OP same happened to me, for a good 5 weeks. thing I did was just to suck it up and get on with it, not a huge issue unless you make it one right? at the end of the day if you've got an instructor on hand and committed to your lessons whether he likes it or not (awkward or not), it'll be very difficult to get another instructor considering the time of your test (I assume easter end of term) due to the amount of people wanting to get their tests done before exams + more demand into the summer term. Unless of course you want to re-book your test, of which you'll be lucky to get a good test date and have a different instructor at the same time.

I would advise doing a combo of 3 things. 1) Try and do mock tests with him, find out what you're doing wrong and ask for tips (really useful). 2) have a look at some youtube videos on parking manoeuvres etc. Really helped me. 3) go out and drive with your dad as much as you can (something I lacked a lot of) the more you drive the better.
I passed last week with 2 minors, so just believe in yourself, ride it out and you'll be ok.
I'd prob take the test anyway seeing as it's booked, even if you fail you'll have a written record of EXACTLY why so you'll know where you're weak.

They do sound pretty crap and uninspiring as an instructor, you should expect more for your £££, they might not feel chatty but they're being paid for instruction and feedback. If the test is just a few weeks you're as well just being straight and saying your not confident and need more active feedback to work out mistakes for the test, do proper mock tests ect.
Thanks for your advise. I never knew whether to change and my biggest fear was having to spend months on a waiting list to get a new instructor. I feel like I have to tell him my weaknesses I say to him "I want to do reverse bay parking and hill starts". Then that is what we do for the lesson. He seems to ask me what I want to do and I feel like I am identifying my own weakness rather than him. I don't want to cancel my test as I think I may have a chance of passing. I don't want him to be in the back on my test, he says it would be better if he was so he could identify mistakes I make and so that we could work on them if I fail. I've been waiting for my test for 6 weeks and I am half way there, I've already prepaid him for the next 3 lessons up until my test. If I fail I may stop learning until after my A level exams, then go with another instructor.

I texted him 30 mins ago to ask about my lesson today and he hasn't replied!

Its a service. he isnt what you want s dump him after the test.
He isnt supportive. New instructor if you dont pass and tbh get a new instructor for some lessons anyway so they cab judge your skills even if you pass plus do things like motorway, night time and bad weather.

On a side note, then you could do with some assertiveness training, so you learn to say no, sooner. It will increase your confidence.
Get him to do some work i.e his job.
GL for the test.
Reply 7
Original post by Azzazehra
You should change instructer, he is making money, you should change Driving test date, and take driving lesson with another instructer x

The thing is I feel that I am pretty much ready for a test. If I cancel my test now and start with a new instructor it may end up costing me more money as I may pass the test anyway. Not only that the instructor I would go to has a 6 week waiting list and then I would be driving through my exams. If I fail the test I may contact another instructor and get on the waiting list and then book a test after my exams.
The thing is I don't know what other instructors are like some people say their instructor chats all nonsense about what they are doing on the weekend, having for dinner etc etc. Others say their instructor chats about cars and insurance. Is it normal for it to be silent?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Its a service. he isnt what you want s dump him after the test.
He isnt supportive. New instructor if you dont pass and tbh get a new instructor for some lessons anyway so they cab judge your skills even if you pass plus do things like motorway, night time and bad weather.

On a side note, then you could do with some assertiveness training, so you learn to say no, sooner. It will increase your confidence.
Get him to do some work i.e his job.
GL for the test.

I am literally really annoyed. I texted him asking if the lesson was on today due to the snow and ice. He then complained about how another pupils test has been cancelled and brought my lesson forward by 2 hours. He did not even ask me. I said "Hello, My school is shut due to snow. Will our lesson at 3pm be on?" and he replied "It is pathetic I have had a test cancelled due to snow. The lesson is at 1pm". I replied saying I thought it was at 3pm, but 1pm is fine...... but he hasn't even replied! Even though my school is cancelled it is just wrong of him to move my lesson forward without asking me. Am I overreacting or is he just messing me about and is bringing my lesson forward out of spite and annoyance that a test got cancelled. What do you think?
Which area you are, my instructer is so good, he is young boy but really really good, I learn how to drive with him,
Some instructer are so good they will give 2 or 3 lesson and go for test
I am literally really annoyed. I texted him asking if the lesson was on today due to the snow and ice. He then complained about how another pupils test has been cancelled and brought my lesson forward by 2 hours. He did not even ask me. I said "Hello, My school is shut due to snow. Will our lesson at 3pm be on?" and he replied "It is pathetic I have had a test cancelled due to snow. The lesson is at 1pm". I replied saying I thought it was at 3pm, but 1pm is fine...... but he hasn't even replied! Even though my school is cancelled it is just wrong of him to move my lesson forward without asking me. Am I overreacting or is he just messing me about and is bringing my lesson forward out of spite and annoyance that a test got cancelled. What do you think?

You are letting him walk over you and im worried that might crop up in later life in other areas.

He is offering a poor service. You should be paying for one that is good abd meets your needs.

Do not continue with him after the test. he is bad for you. As said above just roll with it for now and go with the test. Focus on that and A levels. the rest cna be sorted out later.
Why do we keep getting threads about bad instructors when the answer is always going to be to get rid of them. When I pay for anything in life, I expect to get something in return, when I am not happy with what I'm getting in return, I will refund the product or end the business relationship because I'm the customer at the end of the day.

You're being a literal doormat, get rid of him in case it wasn't made clearly already; take some alternative steps at this point - drive with your Dad if you can, buy an extra passenger side rear view mirror and try to secure access to a car for your test date in case your instructor flies completely off the rails. This should have never ever gone on for this long. You know how to drive, you really only need him for his car if this is his attitude right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending