The Student Room Group

Failed Year?

I'm on a study abroad placement as a sandwich year of a 3 year course. Due to personal circumstances, I am thinking of dropping out of this semester or failing the year, as it has no impact on my final degree standing. What would this mean for my funding? If I were to cancel this semester, would I be required to pay this back immediately or would it just be part of my final debt? Similarly, if I fail, what are the consequences in terms of funding?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Woeeee
I'm on a study abroad placement as a sandwich year of a 3 year course. Due to personal circumstances, I am thinking of dropping out of this semester or failing the year, as it has no impact on my final degree standing. What would this mean for my funding? If I were to cancel this semester, would I be required to pay this back immediately or would it just be part of my final debt? Similarly, if I fail, what are the consequences in terms of funding?

Thank you :smile:

Hi Woeeee,

If you drop out of the year but are planning to return for your final year, the University will usually send a suspension notice to SFE, this will include the date of your last attendance. Your student finance will be reassessed, it will be calculated from the start of the academic year up until the date of your last attendance so you may have a small overpayment. As you're planning on returning to study, we wouldn't expect you to pay this back right away (though the option is there), it would be deducted from your future entitlement.

When applying for your final year, you'd just apply as normal. If you fail the year, there are no consequences in terms of funding, even if you had to repeat year, you're entitled to an additional year of funding so you could still receive full funding for the repeat year.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Woeeee,

If you drop out of the year but are planning to return for your final year, the University will usually send a suspension notice to SFE, this will include the date of your last attendance. Your student finance will be reassessed, it will be calculated from the start of the academic year up until the date of your last attendance so you may have a small overpayment. As you're planning on returning to study, we wouldn't expect you to pay this back right away (though the option is there), it would be deducted from your future entitlement.

When applying for your final year, you'd just apply as normal. If you fail the year, there are no consequences in terms of funding, even if you had to repeat year, you're entitled to an additional year of funding so you could still receive full funding for the repeat year.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Hi John, that's a great help, thank you for all your advice, Woeeee
Original post by Woeeee
Hi John, that's a great help, thank you for all your advice, Woeeee

You're very welcome.

Best wishes,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest