The Student Room Group

The 'gender pay gap' is a myth

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waldorf67
Jordan Peterson is a good public speaker, and that is why he can get away with talking such pseudo-intellectual rubbish that every other clinical and academic psychologist would curl their toes over.

You are a guy who just claimed and asserted, without any evidence or facts presented, that the gender pay gap explanation given by those dealing in facts in this thread stems from the effect of gender stereotypes perpetuated in society that cause women to choose roles based on acting on those stereotypes, in other words. So it's still due to patriarchal oppression via the false stereotypes they push.

Could you provide one scientific study of that please. (Assertion by some far-left feminist Gender Studies professors doesn't count).

And also any examples of Jordan's toe-curling pseudo-intellectual rubbish that is complete debunked by the clinical and academic psychologist profession.
Original post by ilem
Honey, putting some dishes into the dishwasher or vacuuming the carpet is patently not equivalent to slaving and competing at an actual job to bring food on the table and therefore cannot be classified as work. I don't particularly care if that so-called study makes this false equivalency.

:facepalm:
Original post by doubleGs
Believe me, I'm an egalitarian, I take both sides.
But according to this article: https://gender-pay-gap.service.gov.uk/Viewing/employer-details?view=hourly-rate&id=cnJaFJc43bsWAEE_n9Pb-Q%21%21
Tesco Stores Ltd is one of many where women are paid less hour for hour.
If that isn't enough, take a look at Greggs: https://gender-pay-gap.service.gov.uk/Viewing/employer-details?view=hourly-rate&id=cnJaFJc43bsWAEE_n9Pb-Q%21%21
There is still problems with women getting paid less.

They don't get paid less, they worked out that people in the warehouse were paid more than those in the shop and more men would work in the warehouse whereas more women chose to work in the shop. Nothing to do with gender everything to do with choice
Original post by Underground906
You are a guy who just claimed and asserted, without any evidence or facts presented, that the gender pay gap explanation given by those dealing in facts in this thread stems from the effect of gender stereotypes perpetuated in society that cause women to choose roles based on acting on those stereotypes, in other words. So it's still due to patriarchal oppression via the false stereotypes they push.

Could you provide one scientific study of that please. (Assertion by some far-left feminist Gender Studies professors doesn't count).

And also any examples of Jordan's toe-curling pseudo-intellectual rubbish that is complete debunked by the clinical and academic psychologist profession.

First and foremost I’m not a guy.

I can’t wait to provide you with academic evidence for this. It’s not as if there’s a research discipline which has hundreds of studies and articles published in peer reviewed journals for this is there? I’ll give you a clue, the very guy in question is *supposedly* well versed in it. Hold on tight.

FYI you did a pretty good job in summarising the effects of the social environment on human behaviour and outcomes, which is even more surprising that you don’t see any logic behind it.
Original post by Waldorf67
First and foremost I’m not a guy.

I can’t wait to provide you with academic evidence for this. It’s not as if there’s a research discipline which has hundreds of studies and articles published in peer reviewed journals for this is there? I’ll give you a clue, the very guy in question is *supposedly* well versed in it. Hold on tight.

FYI you did a pretty good job in summarising the effects of the social environment on human behaviour and outcomes, which is even more surprising that you don’t see any logic behind it.

I wouldn't argue against something if I didn't fully take the time to understand the arguments and what they are actually saying and inferring, and what they mean. Otherwise I'd be a SJW cuck Leftist that most of the left is today who simply straw-mans the other side to the most ridiculous degree and never even begins to comprehend what is put to them.

What'll I'll get now is a load of ''leftist'' science and sociology, like that link the article earlier, Science Faculties Gender Bias. Corrupted science, where human bias is far to powerful and influential on the outcome, and the outcome usually fits that pre-conceived ideology. like the studies that ''showed'' homophobes are secretly gay or all white people are racist. Here's how it's so easy to corrupt, as this article points out. And yes, it does actually relate to influence from social norms you're trying to claim is behind the disparity of men versus women that go into certain vocations.

http://intellectualmathematics.com/blog/a-note-on-science-facultys-subtle-gender-biases-favor-male-students/

Important personal life decisions are not made unconsciously simply to conform to stereotypes. Those decisions are far more involved and usually take people many years of study to get qualifications. You're telling me stereotypes are so strong people most women will act against their own desires to conform to them? To prove your position, that all the women who choose roles traditional associated with women more than men and vice versa do so because of stereotypes, you'd have to ask them why they chose that path and have them tell you it was because that what society expects of them or some variant on that theme. And how they are really stupid and feeble minded (which you are not going to do because they are not).

In other words, for something as massively important as what career you want to do in life, rather than just prevailing social attitudes that might cause people to say stuff in surveys or influence a study, you need some very solid and well established concrete proof because the claim is so extra-ordinary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 65
Moved to society.
Reply 66
Original post by Napp
Moved to society.

thanks.
Reply 67
Original post by robbiecee2
gee, thanks.

You are most welcome.
Reply 68
Original post by TheBomber09
They don't get paid less, they worked out that people in the warehouse were paid more than those in the shop and more men would work in the warehouse whereas more women chose to work in the shop. Nothing to do with gender everything to do with choice

You're falling into the typical anti-feminist fallacy where you're arguing against a feminist argument (that women are getting paid less for working identical jobs) that doesn't actually exist. The Tesco's equal pay issue is about a job that's mostly done by women being paid less than a job that's mostly done by men, which the women believe is of equal value and requires and equal amount of skill. The Equal Pay Act is designed to deal with these situations, where an employee working a different job to a higher-paid employee can claim equal pay if they can prove that their job is 'of equal value' to the higher-paid employee's. I honestly don't know how to explain to anybody that people who work jobs of equal value for the same employer should get paid the same.
As for 'it's their choice!', many feminists have pointed out the fact that certain professions tend to be more poorly-paid in countries where they are female dominated than in countries where they are female-dominated (with Russian doctors being the commonly-cited example). There are many perfectly reasonable arguments one could make as to why this isn't because of sexism (it is possible that, in countries where men are expected to be the main breadwinners, they are just more reluctant to take poorly-paid jobs), but IF it is true, then it would mean that women, as a group, cannot 'choose' their way out of the gender pay gap as any profession that women try to enter en-masse will then become underpaid, and they will still earn less as a group than men as a group.
Reply 69
Original post by wwotwest
You're falling into the typical anti-feminist fallacy where you're arguing against a feminist argument (that women are getting paid less for working identical jobs) that doesn't actually exist. The Tesco's equal pay issue is about a job that's mostly done by women being paid less than a job that's mostly done by men, which the women believe is of equal value and requires and equal amount of skill. The Equal Pay Act is designed to deal with these situations, where an employee working a different job to a higher-paid employee can claim equal pay if they can prove that their job is 'of equal value' to the higher-paid employee's. I honestly don't know how to explain to anybody that people who work jobs of equal value for the same employer should get paid the same.
As for 'it's their choice!', many feminists have pointed out the fact that certain professions tend to be more poorly-paid in countries where they are female dominated than in countries where they are female-dominated (with Russian doctors being the commonly-cited example). There are many perfectly reasonable arguments one could make as to why this isn't because of sexism (it is possible that, in countries where men are expected to be the main breadwinners, they are just more reluctant to take poorly-paid jobs), but IF it is true, then it would mean that women, as a group, cannot 'choose' their way out of the gender pay gap as any profession that women try to enter en-masse will then become underpaid, and they will still earn less as a group than men as a group.

How is working on the shop floor and working in the distribution center the same job?
How is working on the shop floor and working in the distribution center the same job?

In the same way that social care worker and gardener was judged to be worth equal pay in the Birmingham Council case.
Reply 71
Original post by PQ
In the same way that social care worker and gardener was judged to be worth equal pay in the Birmingham Council case.

The jobs weren't 'judged' to be equivalent in the sense that the court ruled that they were.
It was the council who rated these jobs as equivalent in their 'blue book'.

Also, it wasn't an issue of base pay, it was about some workers not being paid bonuses.

By the way, there were a few men in that lawsuit as well.
The jobs weren't 'judged' to be equivalent in the sense that the court ruled that they were.
It was the council who rated these jobs as equivalent in their 'blue book'.

Also, it wasn't an issue of base pay, it was about some workers not being paid bonuses.

By the way, there were a few men in that lawsuit as well.

So you do understand how

is a silly question to ask in regards to the supermarket cases and showing that you didn't actually read the post that you were quoting (which explained very clearly that the case isn't based on a claim that the two jobs are the same but that they're "of equal value and requires and equal amount of skill." )
Reply 73
Original post by PQ
So you do understand how

is a silly question to ask in regards to the supermarket cases and showing that you didn't actually read the post that you were quoting (which explained very clearly that the case isn't based on a claim that the two jobs are the same but that they're "of equal value and requires and equal amount of skill." )

I wasn't asking literally. I was lamenting the fact that 'equivalence' is even being considered.

I'd argue that they do not amount to an "equal amount of skill" and there are also greater saftey issues for the people in the back.
If the women on the shop floor want to be paid more then they should move to the distro centres.

One could attempt to use your [il]logic to argue that nurses and doctors should be paid the same.
I wasn't asking literally. I was lamenting the fact that 'equivalence' is even being considered.

I'd argue that they do not amount to an "equal amount of skill" and there are also greater saftey issues for the people in the back.
If the women on the shop floor want to be paid more then they should move to the distro centres.

One could attempt to use your [il]logic to argue that nurses and doctors should be paid the same.

It's not my logic - it's the literal wording of the law
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/65

"by reference to factors such as effort, skill and decision-making." would rule out a case for arguing doctors and nurses should be paid the same.
it may be a myth in UK bur definitely not a myth in middle eastern countries
Reply 76
Original post by Complex-machines
it may be a myth in UK bur definitely not a myth in middle eastern countries

Yes, where are the feminists on that? Especially in Muslim countries where in Sharia Law in certain circumstances a womans testimony is worth half that of a mans.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes, where are the feminists on that? Especially in Muslim countries where in Sharia Law in certain circumstances a womans testimony is worth half that of a mans.

feminism have come to a point where not man=woman but women>man in countriew like UK and US

Timely tweet
https://twitter.com/kenchengcomedy/status/978603713693659136
"one time i wrote a tweet about how representation in films is important but someone told me that it's a total non-issue considering there is still conflict in the middle east so i stopped complaining about "petty things" and now we have world peace"
Reply 79
Original post by PQ
It's not my logic - it's the literal wording of the law
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/65

"by reference to factors such as effort, skill and decision-making." would rule out a case for arguing doctors and nurses should be paid the same.

I think you're reading it wrong.. so a job would be considered of equal value even if it isn't like or rated as equivalent BUT it is equal in terms of effort, skill and decision-making.

"A's work is of equal value to B's work if it is—
(a) neither like B's work nor rated as equivalent to B's work, but
(b) nevertheless equal to B's work in terms of the demands made on A by reference to factors such as effort, skill and decision-making."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending