The Student Room Group

My mum said she will curse me if i dont go to the uni she wants me to go to

I want to go to this uni which is not even that far away, about a 30 minute drive, but my mum doesnt want me to go anymore be ause i got into a uni that is like ten minutes away by car. But the reason why i dont want to go there is because the modules that they do not intrigue me. She said that if i go to the one thats further away, my life will get worse and she will curse me.Im really stressed out and scared if my life does get worse and im scared if my anxiety will get worse. help me

Scroll to see replies

curse her first curses.com
Curse as in an voodoo?
Reply 3
Your mother is an idiot. You do what you want.
Original post by Anony777888
I want to go to this uni which is not even that far away, about a 30 minute drive, but my mum doesnt want me to go anymore be ause i got into a uni that is like ten minutes away by car. But the reason why i dont want to go there is because the modules that they do not intrigue me. She said that if i go to the one thats further away, my life will get worse and she will curse me.Im really stressed out and scared if my life does get worse and im scared if my anxiety will get worse. help me

I don't know if someone who believes in curses is the best person to be getting academic advice from. She'll get over it. I'd also suggest, if possible, that you think about moving out.

You don't actually believe in curses/runes/charms, right?
It’s only 20 minutes more, your mother sounds unreasonable.

Will you be moving out into halls or commuting from home?
Reply 8
Curse you how? Is she into that voodoo mumbo jumbo? Just go, the worst she could do is stick needles into a doll that won't have any effect on you. Live your life the way you see best.

Can your dad not do a countercurse for you? What does he have to say about it?
It's your life, do what you want to do. Your mum is being a selfish idiot and clearly doesn't have your best interests in mind.
Original post by Anonymous
Will you be moving out into halls or commuting from home?
home

Hi!

I know that it can be tough trying to balance university life and family life, my girlfriend had a very similar situation with her mum when she came study.

I'd recommend having a sit down with her and trying to talk it out. Let her know where you're at in terms of module interest etc and remember that she is your mum and I'm sure that means that she is showing this concern because she cares about you. A lot of parents find it hard to see their kids go to uni because they feel that they can't protect us. This is a coming of age for you and as much as uni can help you grow as a person, our parents have to let you spread your wings too!

A lot of people have said this is more blunt terms but remember it is your life too and if it's what you really want, you are well within your right to expect to have your family behind you!
Please make your own choice, it's your student debt, your degree and your choice. Don't be afraid of her disgusting and ridiculous threat.
Reply 14
Happens to be as well, I’ve got offers from Cambridge and imperial, I want to go to imperial but my mom forces me to go to Cambridge, if I don’t go she won’t pay me the school fee, what should I do?
Reply 15
.... She said that if i go to the one thats further away, my life will get worse and she will curse me.Im really stressed out and scared if my life does get worse and im scared if my anxiety will get worse. help me

Why does she think your life will get worse if you go to a uni 20 minutes more travelling time away? Can you speak to her about it or is she totally irrational about everything?
Original post by zyb510
Happens to be as well, I’ve got offers from Cambridge and imperial, I want to go to imperial but my mom forces me to go to Cambridge, if I don’t go she won’t pay me the school fee, what should I do?

Explain to why you'd prefer it and realise that student finance is there to help you.
It's completely up to you, if you want to go to the uni farther away (though 20 min is not big of a difference), do it ! She'll get used to the idea that you're an adult now. :biggrin:
Reply 18

If you believe in curses you don't deserve help(curses and superstition are the products of human ineptitude, trying to promote those of lesser intelligence, mental capability and logic into positions of power).

If you don't believe in curses, then I wouldn't be taking advice from someone who does. Just go where you want. Your life and your uni are your own choices, and your mother's imaginary curses shouldn't stop you from going out into your life.

I don’t believe in curses... just go to the uni u want and work your ass off then am pretty sure u will do good.

Bad will still show up in your life and u might think it’s the curse yet it isn’t.

Quick Reply

Latest