Chapper
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Having achieved a degree (for which I have had loans for fees and maintenance from SFE 2015-17), I now have offers for undergraduate medicine A100 (5 years) in England and Scotland. I live in England.

What financial support can I get from SFE or the NHS towards
1. tuition fees
2. living costs/maintenance
3. NHS bursaries
4. other help

in
a. England
b. Scotland.

Thank you
John B SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chapper)
Having achieved a degree (for which I have had loans for fees and maintenance from SFE 2015-17), I now have offers for undergraduate medicine A100 (5 years) in England and Scotland. I live in England.

What financial support can I get from SFE or the NHS towards
1. tuition fees
2. living costs/maintenance
3. NHS bursaries
4. other help

in
a. England
b. Scotland.

Thank you
Hi Chapper,

Normally if you have gained a qualification, you wouldn't be eligible for Student Finance for a second qualification of the same level. However, some course such as undergraduate Medicine, are exceptions and you can receive some elements of funding.

In years 1-4 you'll be entitled to full Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants (Childcare Grant and Parents Learning Allowance) from SFE but no Tuition Fee Loan. In year 5 you'll be entitled to a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan and funding from the NHS.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to go into detail on what funding the NHS would offer for your course. Here should be a good place to start, it gives a general overview of NHS funding and there's a contact page.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Chapper
Rep:
?
John
Thank you.
What if I got an offer for Postgraduate medicine (A101) (the 4 year course) ?
John B SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
John
Thank you.
What if I got an offer for Postgraduate medicine (A101) (the 4 year course) ?
Hi Chapper,

Do you know what level that course will be?

Thank you,

John.
Chapper
Rep:
?
(Original post by John B SFE)
Hi Chapper,

Do you know what level that course will be?

Thank you,

John.
John
not sure what you mean by level? It's a degree course.

its a 4 year post course for Medicine (A101)

Thanks
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
John
not sure what you mean by level? It's a degree course.

its a 4 year post course for Medicine (A101)

Thanks
Hi Chapper,

Four year graduate entry medicine currently attracts different support than the five year graduate entry.

4 Year Graduate Entry Medical/ Dental Funding

Tuition Fee Support Year 1 – The student will have to self fund the first £3465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder up to £5,785. If the student wishes to borrow a tuition fee loan, please advise them to indicate amount of loan they wish to borrow in the Loan Request Form. Year 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535. Maintenance Support Year 1 – The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant. Year 2-4 – The student is eligible to apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to Student Finance England for a reduced rate Maintenance Loan.Regards Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.64%
I'm not sure (40)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.08%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (425)
48.24%

Watched Threads