The Student Room Group

What is the second derivative of acceleration?

Someone called me a "second derivative of acceleration" and burst out laughing with his nerdy friends. What's so funny?
Original post by Kushala Daora
Someone called me a "second derivative of acceleration" and burst out laughing with his nerdy friends. What's so funny?

perhaps they meant the "second derivative of velocity" ?

which is jerk.
The rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of distance
Do you take physics? If not it wouldn't make much sense. If it makes you feel any better, they called you nothing.
Jokes on them
Because the second derivative of velocity is 'jerk' (which stands for jolt, surge or lurch), not the second derivative of acceleration.

Next time you see 'em, call them the third derivative of position ( that also means jerk :wink: - but obvs don't be too mean)
Original post by Arcade22
Do you take physics? If not it wouldn't make much sense. If it makes you feel any better, they called you nothing.
Jokes on them
Because the second derivative of velocity is 'jerk' (which stands for jolt, surge or lurch), not the second derivative of acceleration.

Next time you see 'em, call them the third derivative of position ( that also means jerk :wink: - but obvs don't be too mean)

Thanks. Yeah they always complicate things just to show that they're clever. Next time they say the joke, I'll embarrass them on the spot by correcting them....that would be fun to see.....

I do do physics and maths, I just never had heard of the second derivative of acceleration (or velocity) or whatever. We haven't even started mechanics in maths.
Thanks. Yeah they always complicate things just to show that they're clever. Next time they say the joke, I'll embarrass them on the spot by correcting them....that would be fun to see.....

I do do physics and maths, I just never had heard of the second derivative of acceleration (or velocity) or whatever. We haven't even started mechanics in maths.

No probs - I did as physics and I never learnt this, and I'm doing mechanics at a level and I've only just come across integrating (opposite of differentiating) acceleration and that kind of stuff. I only know this cos of epq reading and then deciding it wasn't for me XD

That person messed up pretty bad. The second derivative of acceleration is either called "jounce" or "snap" (for reference, the fifth and sixth derivatives are "crackle" and "pop" - I'm not kidding!).

They probably intended to say "second derivative of velocity" which would be "jerk".
Original post by Arcade22
No probs - I did as physics and I never learnt this, and I'm doing mechanics at a level and I've only just come across integrating (opposite of differentiating) acceleration and that kind of stuff. I only know this cos of epq reading and then deciding it wasn't for me XD

Have you ever had any smart-ass know it all's in your class, who complicate things at the very start of a topic with university grade stuff (even though they don't understand it themselves?)
If x=x(t) where x is position.

x' is velocity
x'' is acceleration
X"' is jerk
X"" is jounce.
Have you ever had any smart-ass know it all's in your class, who complicate things at the very start of a topic with university grade stuff (even though they don't understand it themselves?)

Dude. That's why I dropped it XD tbh I used to be best mates with them all, but I always felt like the dumb one and they used to live to confuse me. I can stick it out in some subjects (like biology) but physics was a no go and maths is only just bearable.

Just ignore em is my advice or laugh obnoxiously and then just keep chuckling and repeating the joke for the rest of the lesson under your breath but loud enough for them to hear. If they ask you to explain it just chuckle and say: no it won't be funny anymore. I used to do that sometimes they can get really agitated because your being obtuse XD
Original post by TheMindGarage
That person messed up pretty bad. The second derivative of acceleration is either called "jounce" or "snap" (for reference, the fifth and sixth derivatives are "crackle" and "pop" - I'm not kidding!).

They probably intended to say "second derivative of velocity" which would be "jerk".

Yeah I heard of jounce but not the others - I actually googled to see if jounce was a smart ass insult but got nothing lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Let me guess:
x''''' is snap
x'''''' is crackle
x''''''' is pop

No snap is the same as jounce.
next time give him this message:

Unparseable latex formula:

{u}{r}\ddot{r }\dddot{r}

Quick Reply

Latest