Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    im applying for accomodation tomorrow and confused between deanery, LFW or Austen House because deanery is meant to be super nice and LFW is meant to be the 'party halls' which is more my scene of environment, also i cant find much info on the life at Austen house either
    Can someone who has been at SSU help me defer between the two kind of stuck!!!

ALSO! I'm applying for PE so if anyone could give me tips for that, that would also be fab!
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there,

I graduated from Solent last July, so might be able to help!

Deanery and LFW are both halls owned by the University, and offer fairly similar things in terms of accommodation. I wouldn't worry too much about a difference in atmosphere, as the Students' Union organises lots of events when you start university, and these include all of the different halls.

Atmosphere in your flat will entirely depend on the people you're living with, so it's a bit of a "luck-of-the-draw" situation!

The reason you can't find info on Austen House is that it isn't actually owned by Solent. These are privately-owned halls, run by The Student Housing Company. These were only built very recently, and are much the same as the uni-owned accommodation: gated entry, option for ensuite/non-ensuite, common rooms, wi-fi, bills included, etc. You can also apply for studios with TSHC, but if you're looking for a more social environment, I would avoid this!

I hope this helps!

Hollie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellabowler)
    hey guys,
    im applying for accomodation tomorrow and confused between deanery, LFW or Austen House because deanery is meant to be super nice and LFW is meant to be the 'party halls' which is more my scene of environment, also i cant find much info on the life at Austen house either
    Can someone who has been at SSU help me defer between the two kind of stuck!!!

ALSO! I'm applying for PE so if anyone could give me tips for that, that would also be fab!
    Hey,
    Ive i was in the same situation funny enough, but in the end I decided on Austen House! Personally the uni-owned accommadtions werent for me but everyone is different an entitled to their own opinion. I start in Sept 2018 and have completed my application for a premium en-suite at Austen house. I say the best thing to do is to visit the accommodations if possible, so you can see for yourself which one suits you. Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to SSU in September 2018 too - just got my confirmation for student halls! Who else is going to stay in Emily Davies halls?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by shreya1267)
    I'm going to SSU in September 2018 too - just got my confirmation for student halls! Who else is going to stay in Emily Davies halls?
    Hi shreya1267

Congratualtions on securing a place at Solent University!

If you would like to get to know the people from your residence before September, you can join the Facebook group associated with Emily Davies.

Please click on the following link to be able to access the Facebook group: https://portal.solent.ac.uk/campus/a...ce-groups.aspx

I hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Southampton Solent University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.