Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    i am currently in year 9 and my options are due in in a few weeks time.
    my favourite subject is pe but i feel like art would look better. i get similar grades in both but i am worried that in art i will get to ocd about it and then i will never finish/be happy with it. my mom also wants me to do triple science as i love biology- however i hate physics and because of this i think it will leave me a really boring schedule. i really dont know what to do and i would appreciate some advice as i only have the one option.

ReputationRep:
    hello!

i think it's important to note that at gcse, as at any other level, it's important to keep doing the subjects that you love. in later stages of education and afterwards, people will often look for how well you do in subjects that you've been studying for a long time, and in depth - this includes a-levels, or similar qualifications in further study. the subjects that you happen to pick for gcse won't often be seen as an indicator of how well-rounded or skilled you are. as long as you do fine in english language and maths, and can stay committed to your other subjects, it doesn't necessarily matter what those other subjects are.

art, in particular, is said to be very stressful, as well as time-consuming - students may spend hours on one piece of work. enjoyment of the subject can vary depending on how much helpful advice and guidance you can get on your projects. there's a lot of documentation involved alongside the projects themselves, which have to be thought about and well-presented. if you would enjoy pe more and have a range of sports that you can work on and display, i would say to go for it.

triple science is worth it if you can handle it. physics gcse is difficult, especially with the new specification, but with the right teaching, it can be worth it. besides, if you're confident in biology, you may have at least a good grasp on how to approach the sciences in general. if you're prepared to tackle physics, it's definitely a good opportunity to go for triple science.

best of luck with your choices, and don't worry too much! there's a lot to look forward to in the coming 2 years and beyond, no matter what your decisions are this time round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphrosynay)
    hello!

i think it's important to note that at gcse, as at any other level, it's important to keep doing the subjects that you love. in later stages of education and afterwards, people will often look for how well you do in subjects that you've been studying for a long time, and in depth - this includes a-levels, or similar qualifications in further study. the subjects that you happen to pick for gcse won't often be seen as an indicator of how well-rounded or skilled you are. as long as you do fine in english language and maths, and can stay committed to your other subjects, it doesn't necessarily matter what those other subjects are.

art, in particular, is said to be very stressful, as well as time-consuming - students may spend hours on one piece of work. enjoyment of the subject can vary depending on how much helpful advice and guidance you can get on your projects. there's a lot of documentation involved alongside the projects themselves, which have to be thought about and well-presented. if you would enjoy pe more and have a range of sports that you can work on and display, i would say to go for it.

triple science is worth it if you can handle it. physics gcse is difficult, especially with the new specification, but with the right teaching, it can be worth it. besides, if you're confident in biology, you may have at least a good grasp on how to approach the sciences in general. if you're prepared to tackle physics, it's definitely a good opportunity to go for triple science.

best of luck with your choices, and don't worry too much! there's a lot to look forward to in the coming 2 years and beyond, no matter what your decisions are this time round
    thank you so much. i really appreciate it. i went and spoke to my art teacher today and she was pressuring me to do it and i am really not wanting to do it. in pe however i have 3 sports i could use so that’s all fine (netball, swimming and volleyball) but my main concern is that i am not all that great at other sports e.g. basketball but i will get fully involved. i think the theory side sounds really interesting which may come across as a bit weird but it’s quite biology based which is why i first considered it and since then i’ve fell more in love with the idea however i am quite concerned that because i don’t play on a school team they may not think i’m good enough. i have parents evening on thursday so i believe that i am going to talk to teachers then. at the moment i am achieving grade 5’s (as in actual 9-1 gcse grades) in all of my practical sports and when i am thoroughly interested in something i work really hard at something so i could definitely develop my skills. basically i am really interested in doing gcse pe but am not quite sure if i’m at the standard to excel in it. as a side note which i’m not sure is relevant i’m predicted an 8 in biology and a 7 in physics (we have started the gcse course for science now) . all help is really appreciated as my options are due in next thurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy179)
    thank you so much. i really appreciate it. i went and spoke to my art teacher today and she was pressuring me to do it and i am really not wanting to do it. in pe however i have 3 sports i could use so that’s all fine (netball, swimming and volleyball) but my main concern is that i am not all that great at other sports e.g. basketball but i will get fully involved. i think the theory side sounds really interesting which may come across as a bit weird but it’s quite biology based which is why i first considered it and since then i’ve fell more in love with the idea however i am quite concerned that because i don’t play on a school team they may not think i’m good enough. i have parents evening on thursday so i believe that i am going to talk to teachers then. at the moment i am achieving grade 5’s (as in actual 9-1 gcse grades) in all of my practical sports and when i am thoroughly interested in something i work really hard at something so i could definitely develop my skills. basically i am really interested in doing gcse pe but am not quite sure if i’m at the standard to excel in it. as a side note which i’m not sure is relevant i’m predicted an 8 in biology and a 7 in physics (we have started the gcse course for science now) . all help is really appreciated as my options are due in next thurs.
    glad to help!

i'm sorry to hear that you're being pressured into doing art gcse, but i agree that there's no need to listen. your teacher may only be pressuring you if they think you're good at this stage, and have potential to do even better if you continue. but there are definitely other (less stressful) ways to keep practising, that will mean you still enjoy art in the future.

if you have 3 sports, you should be fine for most of the course. it's always good to do other sports, especially if they're closely related to the skills that you use for your chosen 3, but there's no need to be too good at them to start with. practising drills regularly and playing sports often will help build up a lot of skills in the long-term, and you have a lot of time.

also, don't be worried about not being in the school team. often, people in the school team are naturally talented or have been playing the sport for years, which is why they are able to try out and be successful even before they start playing in the team. perhaps if you're seen playing with enthusiasm, you'll be considered for the school team and try out at a later date - but only if you want to. individual practice can be just as helpful when you want to work on certain skills, and you may find that you benefit more on your own than you thought you might.

it's good to know that you're looking forward to the theory side of things, though! the human body and movement, as well as health and well-being, is quite a large part of your assessment. it includes answers that test a thorough knowledge of the human body and how it works (this includes extended answers where you can show your understanding). the anatomy and physiology parts do tie in to biology; solid foundations in all sciences can help, if you use the logical approach that you've learnt from them to make sense of what you're taught in pe theory. this includes being able to look at data and explain what it can show.

if you're really stuck, here's the pe gcse specification to look through, which tells you what you'll be assessed on: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...82-SP-2016.PDF

hopefully you can get all the help you need from your teachers on thursday. don't hesitate to ask them questions on anything you're unsure about. that applies for all subjects - even those you're dropping next year - since improving on any skills you need to for the rest of the year can help in the long run. but of course, ask about your options: what the teaching will be like, if you need to prepare anything, etc. if you're worried that a teacher will disagree with your choice, think beforehand how you can convince them otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphrosynay)
    glad to help!

i'm sorry to hear that you're being pressured into doing art gcse, but i agree that there's no need to listen. your teacher may only be pressuring you if they think you're good at this stage, and have potential to do even better if you continue. but there are definitely other (less stressful) ways to keep practising, that will mean you still enjoy art in the future.

if you have 3 sports, you should be fine for most of the course. it's always good to do other sports, especially if they're closely related to the skills that you use for your chosen 3, but there's no need to be too good at them to start with. practising drills regularly and playing sports often will help build up a lot of skills in the long-term, and you have a lot of time.

also, don't be worried about not being in the school team. often, people in the school team are naturally talented or have been playing the sport for years, which is why they are able to try out and be successful even before they start playing in the team. perhaps if you're seen playing with enthusiasm, you'll be considered for the school team and try out at a later date - but only if you want to. individual practice can be just as helpful when you want to work on certain skills, and you may find that you benefit more on your own than you thought you might.

it's good to know that you're looking forward to the theory side of things, though! the human body and movement, as well as health and well-being, is quite a large part of your assessment. it includes answers that test a thorough knowledge of the human body and how it works (this includes extended answers where you can show your understanding). the anatomy and physiology parts do tie in to biology; solid foundations in all sciences can help, if you use the logical approach that you've learnt from them to make sense of what you're taught in pe theory. this includes being able to look at data and explain what it can show.

if you're really stuck, here's the pe gcse specification to look through, which tells you what you'll be assessed on: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...82-SP-2016.PDF

hopefully you can get all the help you need from your teachers on thursday. don't hesitate to ask them questions on anything you're unsure about. that applies for all subjects - even those you're dropping next year - since improving on any skills you need to for the rest of the year can help in the long run. but of course, ask about your options: what the teaching will be like, if you need to prepare anything, etc. if you're worried that a teacher will disagree with your choice, think beforehand how you can convince them otherwise
    once again, thank you so much.

i agree with what you said about sports teams as the netball team(the only one they have a team for) has been the same since year 7 and i had never played netball before(i pretended i had to make her think i was good but one of my biggest mistakes as she just thought i was rubbish as i didn’t know the rules) so i was in b team. all the pe teachers have a good relationship with as have been on 2 pe trips and got fully involved in them. another reason i am not sure is because my mom thinks that because it’s been the same team since year 7 there will be favouritism in lessons. also been slightly put off today as well as i had sports day and my team where really dominating so i didn’t get a chance to play. definitely not doing art now so that will be my third reserve (nothing else interests me) and fingers crossed i won’t get it although i do think if i has to i would be fine.

only problem with triple science for me is that i won’t have any fun lessons and i absolutely hate physics.

these are my current options:
    maths
    science (double at moment)
    english lit
    english lang
    re
    french
    history
    and then either pe or triple science

now i am essentially waiting for my biology teacher and my pe teacher to sell me their course tomorrow.

any more advise will be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Remember you still do PE if you don't pick it for GCSE, but then again PE has some pretty simple biology in it to do with the heart, muscles etc.

I would say do PE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Remember you still do PE if you don't pick it for GCSE, but then again PE has some pretty simple biology in it to do with the heart, muscles etc.

I would say do PE
    thank you and yes i am aware but we have a 2 week timetable and will only have 2 pe lessons and have heard teachers ask you to do tests and such if you miss them during pe. i also think it would be a shame to have 38/40 lessons only to do with the ebacc. however i am just not sure if i’m at a high enough standard for 10/10 on practical. i am going to ask my pe teacher that tomorrow. so far i am leaning towards pe i am just not certain. the biology element would be a main reason for picking it and i honestly think i would love them as i have done lots of research and think it’s really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy179)
    thank you and yes i am aware but we have a 2 week timetable and will only have 2 pe lessons and have heard teachers ask you to do tests and such if you miss them during pe. i also think it would be a shame to have 38/40 lessons only to do with the ebacc. however i am just not sure if i’m at a high enough standard for 10/10 on practical. i am going to ask my pe teacher that tomorrow. so far i am leaning towards pe i am just not certain. the biology element would be a main reason for picking it and i honestly think i would love them as i have done lots of research and think it’s really interesting.
    I'm in year 9 too

I picked French, computer science, triple science and product design.

At my school the teachers for each subject talked about them before we even got our options blocks.

They said don't do PE if you don't do sport outside of school.

AND YOU ONLY DO 2 PE LESSONS? WHAT?

I do 6 over two weeks and I hate PE...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 9 too

At my school the teachers for each subject talked about them before we even got our options blocks.

we have 4 lessons a day and each are 1:15 but at the moment we have 3 pe lessons but also have 7 tech lessons so that helps.

i play sport outside school (netball and sort of swimming) and do all of the clubs at school. only problem is i’m not very good at running. still unsure but all will be clear in 3 hours time (i hope)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 9 too

we also had an options evening two weeks ago where they explained the whole process and then there where individual subject talks. i went to pe art science and history. pe science and history inspires me even more but art really uninspired me which is why it has been ruled out

ReputationRep:
    if you're looking for a tutor in p.e and biology, click the attachment.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx tutoring.docx (39.9 KB, 4 views)

ReputationRep:
    I do PE and I really enjoy it + art is REALLY time consuming, there is never a point where there isn't something that needs to be done. You can very easily fall behind in art

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.