I want to get into Law and i don't know what to take. Watch

GhostlyPSD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey. I'm in year 9 and i'm doing my options. So far i'm thinking History, German, Business and PE. Option 1 can be History, PE, Music or DT. Option 2 can be Geography, Art, German, Business. Option 3 can be French, Business, Geography, DT, German. And lastly Option 4 can be German, Computing, History, PE, Geography and Business. If I can get some advice and guidance I'd appreciate it.
elsaruus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd do German. But, consider that for law, entry requirements are not very specific in terms of subjects, especially for GCSE. Don't do German if you don't like it, as it won't matter too much.
eeeli
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History, German, Business and PE sound like a good set of GCSEs to me. You've got a humanities and a language, and if you enjoy and think you'll be good at business and PE then they are good choices! You're not shutting any major doors for A levels that would get you into Law at uni (like history, english lit etc), and that's what mostly matters at GCSE level.
giothevanna11
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't say that GCSE options matter too much (if at all), especially as there aren't any A-Level subject requirements for studying Law at university (if this is what you want to do). Essay-based subjects are often recommended, so if you really want to tailor your subjects to Law, taking something like History wouldn't be a bad idea. But again, I wouldn't stress too much about your subjects here, particuarly at GCSE.

I also want to go on to study Law in the future, and I'm hoping to study History, Maths, German, and potentially something else (still undecided haha ) for my A Levels next year, but this is simply because they're subjects I'm good at and am interested in, not necessarily because they're ones I 'should do' in order to study Law.

tldr; Study what you want
GhostlyPSD
Rep:
?
(Original post by elsaruus)
I'd do German. But, consider that for law, entry requirements are not very specific in terms of subjects, especially for GCSE. Don't do German if you don't like it, as it won't matter too much.
I actually really like German and I'm getting outstanding grades 🙂
elsaruus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GhostlyPSD)
I actually really like German and I'm getting outstanding grades 🙂
Do it then! Universities love language A-levels for Law (if you took German to that level).
GhostlyPSD
Rep:
?
(Original post by eeeli)
History, German, Business and PE sound like a good set of GCSEs to me. You've got a humanities and a language, and if you enjoy and think you'll be good at business and PE then they are good choices! You're not shutting any major doors for A levels that would get you into Law at uni (like history, english lit etc), and that's what mostly matters at GCSE level.
Appreciate it! ❤
GhostlyPSD
Rep:
?
(Original post by giothevanna11)
I wouldn't say that GCSE options matter too much (if at all), especially as there aren't any A-Level subject requirements for studying Law at university (if this is what you want to do). Essay-based subjects are often recommended, so if you really want to tailor your subjects to Law, taking something like History wouldn't be a bad idea. But again, I wouldn't stress too much about your subjects here, particuarly at GCSE.

I also want to go on to study Law in the future, and I'm hoping to study History, Maths, German, and potentially something else (still undecided haha ) for my A Levels next year, but this is simply because they're subjects I'm good at and am interested in, not necessarily because they're ones I 'should do' in order to study Law.

tldr; Study what you want
I was worried that perhaps I didn't have a wide enough variety to study law because of my available subjects. But then again I go to a grammar school that focuses on the core subjects. 🙂
Ri012345
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History is a good option they like essay-bassed options. I don't know how much they look into GCSE's but A-level wise most law students take English literature, history and maths but I know some who have taken Business and others and still got into law school. Some people will say to take Law A-level some teachers say not to since you have to relearn info but it's up to you. You still have time to decide.
GhostlyPSD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ri012345)
History is a good option they like essay-bassed options. I don't know how much they look into GCSE's but A-level wise most law students take English literature, history and maths but I know some who have taken Business and others and still got into law school. Some people will say to take Law A-level some teachers say not to since you have to relearn info but it's up to you. You still have time to decide.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.7%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (71)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
56.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.31%

Watched Threads