The Student Room Group

International student with no offers for med.

I have been rejected from all 4 med schools. I am an international student. Anyone else in the same boat as me and if so, what do you plan to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joshchamp125
I have been rejected from all 4 med schools. I am an international student. Anyone else in the same boat as me and if so, what do you plan to do?

Get feedback and find out why/ where your weakness was.

Decide if you have alternatives or yu will work on your application and try the following year.
which country r u from?
Original post by koushik888
which country r u from?

India
Reply 4

May I ask where u applied and what were your stats?
Reply 5
Also was it pre or post interviews
Try again next year.

You could look at some medical schools in new zealand or australia alongside the british ones.

Did you sit the ukcat or bmat do you have any experience like work shadowing?
Original post by Ocd2015
May I ask where u applied and what were your stats?

Ucl Plymouth Cambridge and Queen Mary

Stats: 10A* 2As at GCSE.
Predicted A Levels: A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths
Ukcat 660 average

I think my PS let me down I’m not quite sure. Except for Cambridge, all 3 of the unis rejected me pre interview
Original post by Laboromniavincit
Did you sit the ukcat or bmat do you have any experience like work shadowing?

Yes I sat Both UKCAT and BMAT and had 3 weeks of work experience/shadowing
Was the score good ? Please ask for feedback . How did the interview go ?
Some private unis are still accepting applications for medicine. I've heard of people applying to Irish medical schools after 4 rejections, I've also heard ot people getting offers from Barts Malta after the release of A-level results in August.

Alternatively you could look into medical school in Australia, their application cycle for 2018/19 entry hasn't started yet.
Ucl Plymouth Cambridge and Queen Mary

Stats: 10A* 2As at GCSE.
Predicted A Levels: A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths
Ukcat 660 average

I think my PS let me down I’m not quite sure. Except for Cambridge, all 3 of the unis rejected me pre interview

Those are good stats . Where did u apply as you would definitely have got interviews at places that are not PS heavy
Original post by Ocd2015
Those are good stats . Where did u apply as you would definitely have got interviews at places that are not PS heavy

Sorry I just saw the places . Maybe they were ps heavy?
Original post by Ocd2015
Sorry I just saw the places . Maybe they were ps heavy?

Two of my unis said they only accept international students with achieved a levels so I might have to take gap year. Are you an international student?
Two of my unis said they only accept international students with achieved a levels so I might have to take gap year. Are you an international student?

Which two unis only accept international students with achieved A-Levels? I haven't heard of that.
I'm an international student applying for medicine too, I get how frustrating it is :smile: Hang on there!
Original post by teetwo123
Some private unis are still accepting applications for medicine. I've heard of people applying to Irish medical schools after 4 rejections, I've also heard ot people getting offers from Barts Malta after the release of A-level results in August.

Alternatively you could look into medical school in Australia, their application cycle for 2018/19 entry hasn't started yet.

irish med school applications are closed now, but they are a great alternative when you have great stats, since they just use a points system and no personal statement.
Original post by Yipyipee
irish med school applications are closed now, but they are a great alternative when you have great stats, since they just use a points system and no personal statement.

But you have to get a high score on the HPAT exam which is hard
Original post by Ocd2015
But you have to get a high score on the HPAT exam which is hard

i found that with 4 a levels, one of which being in maths (extra points), all thats required is 150ish to meet their requirements, which is the average.
the op seems to be very smart, so it may be less of a problem to score highly for them

Most home medics wouldn't get a single offer as an international.

It's very difficult - your UKCAT needs to ideally be 700+ and your BMAT should be high 6s in each section with a 4 in section 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending