The Student Room Group

What A Levels do I pick to become a Speech and Language Therapist?

I don’t know if this job is the one for me but I personally can imagine me working as one..

For my mocks I achieved fairly decent grades:

Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 6
Maths: 6
English Language: 7
English Literature: 6
French: 5
Art: 6
Geography: 5
RE: 7

I mean I passed, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to do as well in the actual exam.

What A Levels would you suggest I take to become a speech and language therapist?

Also, another job I was leaning towards was Dentistry. Do you think I could become a dentist, honestly? What annoys me here is that for A Level I’d have to take Chemistry, biology I can deal with but I don’t think I could take Chemistry for another 2 years...
(edited 6 years ago)
maybe English language, sociology, psychology? for dentistry you'd need to do very well at a levels, and both chemistry and biology are notoriously hard.
Reply 2
Yeah, I’ve talked to my mum about it just now and I don’t think I’d be able to keep up if I do both sciences. Thank you for the advice.
Reply 3
For SLT, most courses I have looked at have required psychology and biology. As someone who was never good at sciences or maths and is revisiting biology ten years after GCSEs on an Access course (almost identical topics covered in A levels), I haven't found biology too difficult.
Reply 4
Ah that’s really calmed my nerves down about taking biology A Level. What other A Levels do you suggest me taking besides the required ones? English Language?
Reply 5
There are a number of universities that don’t require any specific A levels. Manchester just specified AAB in any three if I recall correctly.

That said, you’ll probably find that the course is less of a shock to the system if you do English language, psychology and biology and maybe another language to AS if your school offers that.

You might be surprised to find, though, that subjects like history and geography can be beneficial. Geography is good for understanding epidemiology and so forth whilst history can equip you with analytical skills that can be really helpful for when it comes to going over case notes and so forth. Likewise, art will come in useful if you’re any great shakes at it when it comes to producing resources. Maths will be great for helping you understand stats in the deep way that most people on the course never get around to.

Bear in mind that you’ll be taught psychology on the course anyway and you’ll be given a crash course in linguistics when you start. You’ll never get another chance to study things that are purely your choice as well as preparation for a career. So I’d definitely encourage you to make a choice based on interest as well as studying required subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest