The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

York vs Warwick for english and history?

I have applied and received offers from York and Warwick to do English and History but can't pick between them, the modules are pretty similar and I'd be happy with either one, any thoughts/advice?thnx
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I think Warwick has a much better reputation, especially internationally. All of my friends who did English at Warwick loved it as well
Original post by lulahm0
I have applied and received offers from York and Warwick to do English and History but can't pick between them, the modules are pretty similar and I'd be happy with either one, any thoughts/advice?thnx

Hi! I am a third year studying English at York and I rejected my offer from Warwick to come here. Personally I cannot recommend York enough! Although I study single honours English, a lot of my friends study English and History and adore it. You may have already seen but all of the modules are here, there's a lot of flexibility so you can make your degree reflect your own interests perfectly while still doing an equal split between both subjects in your first year so you have a good knowledge of all of the essential and key themes!

One of the really interesting things about York is that in addition to lectures, seminars, and workshops you have the opportunity to visit your lecturers one on one in their open office hours to discuss anything at all. You can talk about an upcoming essay, some feedback that you've received, or just a book that you read recently for fun or something that came up in one of your contact hours that you are interested in discussing further. The lecturers are extremely helpful and friendly, and so is everyone I've met at York!

To be honest, the main reason why I picked York over Warwick was because of the City as well as the degree which I felt suited me best. Although York is a campus uni (and has everything from shops to cafes to hairdressers and even a Doctor's surgery on site) the city of York is only a 40 minute walk/ short cycle ride/ cheap bus trip away. It is a beautiful city with something for everyone. If you like film there are 4 different cinemas (not including a student run one on campus) and a film festival each year. If you like nights out there are more bars, pubs, and clubs than days of the year! If you like vikings we have a lot of viking stuff! But genuinely it is a lovely place to study and to live. It is actually objectively the best place to live

If you have any questions then please let me know!!
Thank you for that write up about York. I visited York on the open day two weeks ago. I only saw the west campus, but made time to visit the beautiful city in the late afternoon. I am hoping to get on the English Lit course at Durham, Exeter or Bristol. It seems silly, but I didn't like the York campus. Maybe in the open day rush I didn't give it a chance. The course itself sounds great though, and as you say, the city is lovely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending