Turn on thread page Beta

Multiculturalism, putting the Great into Great Britain. watch

ReputationRep:
    I am well aware that TSR is currently frequented by a band of alt-right/far-right members looking for any opportunity to make blanket condemnation of Muslims and Islam but the rest of us need not allow their prejudices to intimidate us and close us down in the expression of our views and interests.

The opposite of a multicultural society is a monocultural society. Who wants to live in a society where everyone is expected to look the same, dress the same, cook and eat the same food, listen to the same music and dance to it in the same way, follow the same religion, observe the same rituals, play the same sports and so on? Yes, multiculturalism occasionally involves distrust, prejudice and friction, things that exist in any large society anyway. Rivalry between football fans routinely elicits petty conflict and public disturbance, but we wouldn’t ban football because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hear, hear.

Now if only we can fix the bigotry of low expectations and treat everybody under the same standard, the Great will be greater.

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism is a great thing.

But proper intergration is equally as important, and the two things should go side by side. Without intergration, closed minoirty communities begin sprouting, as seen throughout some areas of England.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    Multiculturalism is a great thing.

But proper intergration is equally as important, and the two things should go side by side. Without intergration, closed minoirty communities begin sprouting, as seen throughout some areas of England.
    Some instances of closed communities will be inevitable. Even in the absence of ethnic cultural variation there are closed communities; rich people live on exclusive estates, have children going to (more or less) exclusive schools, they eat at exclusive restaurants and are typically members of exclusive clubs.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    Some instances of closed communities will be inevitable. Even in the absence of ethnic cultural variation there are closed communities; rich people live on exclusive estates, have children going to (more or less) exclusive schools, they eat at exclusive restaurants and are typically members of exclusive clubs.
    Yes but with respect to what Goofballs is saying, it’s the problem at the moment that multiculturalism is being pursued without regard for proper integration. Without the cultural variation, you wouldn’t find the no go zones that pop up from time to time. It’s not necessarily a problem with multiculturalism per se, but it is important to ensure that those that need to integrate with society understand the key aspects and norms of our society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    ...it’s the problem at the moment that multiculturalism is being pursued without regard for proper integration...
    I suppose this depends on what you want 'integration' to mean. Plenty of people will gravitate towards those with the same social/cultural life, as per my point about the rich above. It's actually something we all do by some degree or other regardless of our background. I agree that outright isolationism is bad for wider society but outside of expecting everyone to live within the law and being respectful of difference I don't think we can just demand full-throttle integration.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    Broken keyboard?

ReputationRep:
    Broken keyboard?
    Offended?

ReputationRep:
    An interesting article on the way multiculturalism has enriched England, from the Canadian blogger, Mark Steyn...

"Eight days ago The Sunday Mirror reported on "Britain's 'worst ever' child grooming scandal". The headline editor's sub-quotes are most prudent: This is the "worst ever" at the time of writing, but who knows what'll come along next week? This time it's the Shropshire town of Telford:

Hundreds of young girls raped, beaten, sold for sex and some even KILLED

If you're saying, "Hey, wait a minute. Telford? Surely you mean Rotherham? Or Rochdale? Or Oxford? Or [Your Town Here]?", well, yes, this story reads (especially for yours truly, who spent several days with the poor damaged young 'uns of Rotherham) with a certain numbing familiarity:

"Hours after my second termination, I was taken by one of my abusers to be raped by more men.
    "The worst moment came just after my 16th birthday when I was drugged and gang raped by five men.
    "Days later, the ringleader turned up at my house and told me he'd burn it down if I breathed a word of what had happened."

As in Rotherham and everywhere else, all this was happening in plain sight. The Spectator's Douglas Murray:
    Every arm of the state – including council staff, social workers and the police – allowed the mass gang-rape of children to go on in their town. And we learn – once again – how fear of accusations of 'racism' meant that the identities of the culprits were hidden and cases were not investigated.

Because, as in Rotherham, it was white working-class girls being gang-raped by "Asian" men - "Asian" being the coy euphemism for Muslim males of Pakistani origin, notwithstanding that it's immensely insulting to Indian Hindus, Sri Lankans, Chinese, etc. When Douglas indicts the various "arms of the state", we should also add the politicians - Labour and Tory - for whom these stories are not helpful to the multiculti narrative. Which is why, in the week of Telford, they chose to ban and deport more explicit threats to public order and social tranquility such as, er, Lauren Southern and Brittany Pettibone. But, as Douglas notes, we should also indict another arm of the state - the dominant national broadcaster. The BBC was so panicked by the mass sex-slavery of Shropshire children by Pakistani men that, as the German media did after the Cologne assaults, they chose not to cover it at all. It wasn't on the BBC News homepage, or the BBC England homepage, or even the BBC Shropshire homepage - although in fairness, after 36 hours of negative online comments, someone from BBC Radio Shropshire managed to file a report on the subject that you'd be forgiven for not spotting because it got less prominence than a compilation called "My Telford", the usual bit of feelgood community boosterism.

When the child-sex crimes of lifelong BBC presenter Jimmy Savile were posthumously exposed, Commander Spindler of the Metropolitan Police piously announced:

Jimmy Savile groomed a nation.

But Savile's old enablers at the Beeb and Spindler's colleagues in the British constabulary are also grooming a nation. They're grooming Britons to accept that the serial mass gang-rape of English girls is just a social phenomenon, part of the natural order - regrettable perhaps, but nothing to be done about it; and thus the mountain of human debris is merely a small price to pay for the benefits of vibrant diversity. Which means the real problem is these ghastly types boorish enough to draw attention to the sacrifice of English maidenhood to the volcano gods of multiculturalism. By contrast, the BBC knows that the proper response is a brief story on Radio Shropshire followed by Part 457 of the "My Telford" diversity fairytale.

To Mad Ash and his fellow 'Asians', the likes of Jessica and Katie are 'white ****s'. To Her Majesty's Constabulary, they're mere 'Paki-shaggers', and thus unworthy of valuable police resources. The girls recall the night Mad Ash's brother Bannaras was in his car having sex with a twelve-year-old. A 'jam sandwich' - a police cruiser - pulled up alongside, and the officer rolled down the window. 'She's just sucking my c**k, mate,' said Bannaras Hussain.
    The cops drove away. It must have been an abiding image for Jessica, for Katie, for Bannaras Hussain's twelve-year-old, for the girl who would later testify that all three brothers pissed on her like 'a pack of animals', for a thousand and more 'Paki-shaggers' and 'white ****s' all over Rotherham, year in year out, for decades: The police driving away ...and leaving them.
    Jessica kept a detailed diary of what had happened to her. She took it to the cops. It 'disappeared'. There was one kindly officer, but the others told him to back off, and, when he didn't, he died in an accident. Katie puts the word 'accident' in air quotes. Rotherham is a land of coincidence. 'Some of these things can happen, but not all of them, not in one town.'

And not all the same coincidences, all the same rationalizations, the same write-offs of "Paki-shaggers" and "white ****s", in town after town after town. And the same insistence by authorities that this time they've learned their lesson, and it won't happen again. Until the next time, in the next town, in Yorkshire, in Lancashire, Oxfordshire, Shropshire...

And still the police and the social workers and the politicians and the media roll up their windows and drive away.

Oh, they can get worked up over ancient disc-jockeys who copped a feel on "Top of the Pops" in 1973 and thereby committed what the illiterate coppers call "historic" sexual abuse. But, in the face of truly "historic", truly unprecedented sexual abuse of thousands of English girls day in, day out, year after year, all they can manage is a fatalistic shrug. "Cuckolds" in the contemporary sense is a good word for the British state's attitude to what's happening. So is "wittols", the 16th century neologism for those who are aware that they're being cuckolded and go along with it. It seems reasonable to assume that the mass sexual exploitation of young girls is occurring in every English town with even a modest (as in Rotherham) "Asian" population, boundlessly cocksure and assertive, and a feeble British officialdom too cowed and appeasing to resist. The real word for what is happening is evil - for a society that will not defend its youngest and most vulnerable girls is surely capable of rationalizing many more wicked accommodations in the years ahead."

https://www.steynonline.com/8528/of-...th-nat-enquere

ReputationRep:
    I agree that outright isolationism is bad for wider society but outside of expecting everyone to live within the law and being respectful of difference I don't think we can just demand full-throttle integration.
    The government could start off by offering mandatory English courses, open community centres and host events to bring communities together, promote British culture and values, etc.

The problem is that voters don't care about integration, and as a result neither does the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    Offended?
    Not at all. I didn't watch your video, just thought you might have something to say, in your own words. Maybe you don't and that's cool.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I didn't watch your video, just thought you might have something to say, in your own words. Maybe you don't and that's cool.
    if you put your fingers in your ears and go na na na maybe it will all go away! Multiculturalism will be working after all!

A "snowflake" condemned out of his own mouth.

Read the article I quoted and respond to it, "in your own words" if you are up to it. That would be "cool".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VászolySzilvia)
    The government could start off by offering mandatory English courses, open community centres and host events to bring communities together, promote British culture and values, etc.

The problem is that voters don't care about integration, and as a result neither does the government.
    I've always been sceptical about terms like 'British culture' if presented as a list of things all 'native' Brits agree with or engage in. Fox-hunting is a good example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    if you put your fingers in your ears and go na na na maybe it will all go away! Multiculturalism will be working after all!

A "snowflake" condemned out of his own mouth.

Read the article I quoted and respond to it, "in your own words" if you are up to it. That would be "cool".
    This is a debate forum where people are generally expected to express their own views, not simply cut n' paste other people's essays or videos.

ReputationRep:
    This is a debate forum where people are generally expected to express their own views, not simply cut n' paste other people's essays or videos.
    This is your thread. I am rather amazed that you seek to hide in your safe space when challenged with opposing views. I thought the purpose was to defend multiculturalism? I thought this whole "snowflake " thing was actually a myth?

You can engage with the arguments advanced (the medium in which they are conveyed is irrelevant) or you can show everyone that you are too cowardly to even look at them, let alone to attempt to refute someone disagreeing with you.

The choice is yours.

ReputationRep:
    When cultures come and go and it is fascinating to see how they are changed during lifetime.
    The problem is that integration is needed - combining instead of replacing. Still I want to see that fight when number of muslims and islamists will increase and they clash with the society of tolerance.

Not to mention we are moving towards stage where age of agreement will eventually become even lower (greeks did that so we are developed enough to accept that too) and including acceptance of marrying to animals (genetics will bring some spices for sure lol) and pillows it will be a fun ride. Add to this general health worsening in population and we are up to something interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I am well aware that TSR is currently frequented by a band of alt-right/far-right members looking for any opportunity to make blanket condemnation of Muslims and Islam but the rest of us need not allow their prejudices to intimidate us and close us down in the expression of our views and interests.
    TSR is mainly far-left.....

ReputationRep:
    Well, I personally see very little point in simply reiterating certain arguments which have already been made by others in an attempt to fraudulently convey them as my own invention/creation. Perhaps you may see a point to this and derive a certain pleasure from it, but I personally do not.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have described one end of the spectrum that is as equally stupid as your own, there are plenty of people on TSR who have very reasonable veiws on muslims and Islam and reasonable views on immigration, most if not all (minus trolls) of the people arguing for less immigration are not arguing for no immigration or are saying that all muslims are Evil and no, the opposite of multiculturalism is not everyone dressing the same or anything being the same, when all countries were pretty much made up of majority of that nationalitiy and a majority of that religion say Britain in the 1400's do you think that everyone was going around in the same outfit, only eating the exact same things and only listening to the same music?

You have used the idiocy of a small minority of far right people to try and blanket all conservatives and everyoneon the right as evil and you have failed, TSR is majority left and not exactly this cesspit of hate that you seem to think it is.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.