A-level English Coursework- Paradise Lost

Watch
lanax30
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For my English coursework i am thinking of writing about the theme of rebellion, disobediece and the idea of freedom In Paradise Lost, but i'm not sure which book would be best to study. I also plan to write about the hierarchical nature of the universe, desire,greed, Satan's motives and his relationship with God.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lanax30)
For my English coursework i am thinking of writing about the theme of rebellion, disobediece and the idea of freedom In Paradise Lost, but i'm not sure which book would be best to study. I also plan to write about the hierarchical nature of the universe, desire,greed, Satan's motives and his relationship with God.

Hi,

Are you looking for novels/plays/poems to compare to Paradise Lost?

Have you considered novels such as "One Hundred Years of solitude", "The Handmaid's Tale" or poems such as "Rime of the ancient Mariner?"
JayDu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

To answer your first question: Book II would be a good text to use for the themes you've discussed - it's the book with Satan in the 'Parliament of Hell', debating whether they should go to war or not. I'm not sure what the coursework requires you to do, but the best essays are ones that have a very tight focus, so i would avoid analysing too many themes otherwise your analyses will fall short in other areas.

If I was you, i'd try to be really clever analyse Book II, using evidence from other books too, in line with Aristotle's theory on the tragic fall and trajectory of a character. That might allow you to bring in less obvious characters for this question like Eve.

Just a thought.
lanax30
Rep:
?
(Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
Hi,

Are you looking for novels/plays/poems to compare to Paradise Lost?

Have you considered novels such as "One Hundred Years of solitude", "The Handmaid's Tale" or poems such as "Rime of the ancient Mariner?"
i've decided that i'm going to compare Paradise Lost to Macbeth, i'm just not sure on which book i should focus on in Paradise Lost since there are so many.
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i've decided that i'm going to compare Paradise Lost to Macbeth, i'm just not sure on which book i should focus on in Paradise Lost since there are so many.
Fair enough! You're allowed to pick a play or a poem, and Macbeth has a large variety of revision sources out there on the internet to help you out
lanax30
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayDu)
To answer your first question: Book II would be a good text to use for the themes you've discussed - it's the book with Satan in the 'Parliament of Hell', debating whether they should go to war or not. I'm not sure what the coursework requires you to do, but the best essays are ones that have a very tight focus, so i would avoid analysing too many themes otherwise your analyses will fall short in other areas.

If I was you, i'd try to be really clever analyse Book II, using evidence from other books too, in line with Aristotle's theory on the tragic fall and trajectory of a character. That might allow you to bring in less obvious characters for this question like Eve.

Just a thought.
Thanks, i like the idea of referring to Aristotle's work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (170)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (509)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (389)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (484)
13.9%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (169)
4.85%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (212)
6.09%
Loneliness (297)
8.53%
Financial worries (126)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (138)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (158)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (193)
5.54%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (313)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (324)
9.3%

Watched Threads