The Student Room Group

How much improvement is possible from this point to gcse’s

Hi guys :smile:
Hope you’re all having a lovely day, just wanna know how many of you improved from this point in the year to actual GCSE’s, just finished my mocks and I got about 6 or 7 A*’s and 2 A’s ( the equivalent to that in 9-1 is like 2 9’s, 4/5 8’s and 7’s; just didn’t include it because thought most of the people that would be able to answer this wouldn’t understand the 9-1 x) ,then I got a (let’s not worry about English)😫😭😂. Is aiming for straight A*’s reasonable or do I need to just crank. I’m so stressed and idk has anyone improved that much before or?😬
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You not doing 9-1?
Original post by 0zzu
You not doing 9-1?

Edited my post- sorry for confusion hahah x
im in the same boat as you except my grades are like 2 below yours gdsjknkdgnjn. I actually did okay at English Language so let me know if I can help! Straight A*s does as a LOT of unnecessary pressure on yourself, it isn't needed. I'd say a nice array of B-A*s would make you seem rounded...not like a walking book.

I did go from a 3 to a 5 in maths in one month before my GCSEs last year so it is possible! also mocks are SUCH BAD INDICATORS!!
That's good! I take triple science and our teacher said the national average for the recent mocks was 20%. I'd say don't doubt the subjects you think will be easier, I took history last year and was getting A*'s all year but ended with an A. But French, I got B/C's all year but ended up with an A. Make time for all your subjects. Mocks are designed to make us stress so we actually work. I wouldn't worry too much as long as your revising. Some previous Y11's have told me they were getting 4's but most ended up with 7/8's. Your grades are meant to increase by a least 2 grades is what I got told.
6/7 A*s is great at GCSE. Obviously you would want 10 A*, so keep working and you can definitely get there. You're nearly there, just one more push :smile:
Original post by Jordan_alqs
Hope you’re all having a lovely day, just wanna know how many of you improved from this point in the year to actual GCSE’s, just finished my mocks and I got about 6 or 7 A*’s and 2 A’s ( the equivalent to that in 9-1 is like 2 9’s, 4/5 8’s and 7’s; just didn’t include it because thought most of the people that would be able to answer this wouldn’t understand the 9-1 x) ,then I got a (let’s not worry about English)😫😭😂. Is aiming for straight A*’s reasonable or do I need to just crank. I’m so stressed and idk has anyone improved that much before or?😬

What subjects do you do? If you do Geography AQA 9-1 could you help me out please with some revision tips?
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
What subjects do you do? If you do Geography AQA 9-1 could you help me out please with some revision tips?

I do, and ngl all I can say has helped a little is flash cards - for everything. Literally just bang them out and if U’d like do mindmaps for case studies; and memorise like there’s no tomorrow.

7 A*'s are amazing, seems like if you keep working hard you could probably get 10. But don't stress about it, it's only GCSE 😂
Original post by Alexty28
7 A*'s are amazing, seems like if you keep working hard you could probably get 10. But don't stress about it, it's only GCSE 😂

Thanksss- thing is there aren’t any AS levels so for courses like dentistry and basically all others, the only actual indicators they have of a candidate are GCSE’s and ucas predictions
Thanksss- thing is there aren’t any AS levels so for courses like dentistry and basically all others, the only actual indicators they have of a candidate are GCSE’s and ucas predictions

Ah yes Dentistry and Medicine are the two courses Unis are being GCSE whores about, most other courses GCSE's still not huge deal (been in contact with Unis for applying next year). But with 7 A*'s you'll be fine, and most people do go up one grade between mocks and the real thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
I do, and ngl all I can say has helped a little is flash cards - for everything. Literally just bang them out and if U’d like do mindmaps for case studies; and memorise like there’s no tomorrow.

Thanks. What about Geography paper 3? It’s the hardest paper imo
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
Thanks. What about Geography paper 3? It’s the hardest paper imo

Did you do a field trip for a week or so and the paper is moreso oriented around that - but practice questions and you’ll ace it, honestly geography is just practice -something I haven’t had time for argh😭😂

Quick Reply

Latest