Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE AQA French (9-1) 8658 - 15/18 May 2018 [exam discussion etc] watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i think foundation is the same day/time as higher?! let me know if i'm wrong- the dates i've listed below are higher tier from what i know.

tuesday 15th may - french reading + listening
    friday 18th may - french writing

how's everyone feeling about the exams this year? i'm feeling pretty nervous, found the specimen really hard ugh.

but yeah if you wanna discuss the course, have tips or resources etc feel free to post them here.
    [EDIT: all exams are now done:thumbsup: feel free to talk about exam specifics and share results when they come]

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Nice thread! I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2018 :yay: Good luck with your exams - I'm sorry you're feeling nervous right now, but there's still a while before this exam, so plenty of time to revise and hopefully get a bit more confident
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Nice thread! I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2018 :yay: Good luck with your exams - I'm sorry you're feeling nervous right now, but there's still a while before this exam, so plenty of time to revise and hopefully get a bit more confident
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I get you. I find specimen listening hard to deal with. But at the moment my class and I are really in the worst position as we haven't covered a third of the syllabus yet. And it seems like the teachers are going to give up and focus on exam technique. It has gotten into a proper mess where we are emailing the head of year to talk about our french teacher.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MystG123)
    I get you. I find specimen listening hard to deal with. But at the moment my class and I are really in the worst position as we haven't covered a third of the syllabus yet. And it seems like the teachers are going to give up and focus on exam technique. It has gotten into a proper mess where we are emailing the head of year to talk about our french teacher.
    oh my goodness, that's awful! we're on the last module so we're doing okay what have you covered so far?

ReputationRep:
    Last module too! but our exam technique really sucks :/ the specimen listening exams are so difficult
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by raqeen)
    Last module too! but our exam technique really sucks :/ the specimen listening exams are so difficult
    lets hope the grade boundaries aren't too high this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    lets hope the grade boundaries aren't too high this year
    Hopefully! On my recent mock (higher) the lowest score I got was for my listening, but I my personal best was in the speaking exam because our French teacher has been driving us to perfect our speech. However, I'm slightly concerned as I don't think she knows that the specimen materials provided aren't the ones we will actually be tested on in the exam. When I say we've practised this a lot, I mean that (although highly beneficial) she has made us complete full responses to all the role-plays, photo cards and she prepared 3 pages of general conversation questions that are specified from all 3 themes. If you (or anyone else reading this) wants such resources if they haven't already got them, I could send you the links.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by kaleidosc.opic)
    Hopefully! On my recent mock (higher) the lowest score I got was for my listening, but I my personal best was in the speaking exam because our French teacher has been driving us to perfect our speech. However, I'm slightly concerned as I don't think she knows that the specimen materials provided aren't the ones we will actually be tested on in the exam. When I say we've practised this a lot, I mean that (although highly beneficial) she has made us complete full responses to all the role-plays, photo cards and she prepared 3 pages of general conversation questions that are specified from all 3 themes. If you (or anyone else reading this) wants such resources if they haven't already got them, I could send you the links.
    well, it's good exam practice i guess? i'd love a link to the resources

ReputationRep:
    I've attached them in this order: general conversation questions, role plays, photo cards. Although they are dubbed 'higher', the same questions are used for both tiers (just that depending on which you're doing, your level of content for answers are different). On the photocards, the '!' represents (what should be) the surprise questions and on the role plays the '?' represents where you must ask a question relating to the answer next to it, and the '!' also stands for the surprise questions.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Topic_conversation_questions_by_themes.docx (20.1 KB, 30 views)
  2. File Type: docx Higher_Role_Plays.docx (22.5 KB, 41 views)
  3. File Type: docx Higher_photo_cards_preparations.docx (18.7 KB, 29 views)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by kaleidosc.opic)
    I've attached them in this order: general conversation questions, role plays, photo cards. Although they are dubbed 'higher', the same questions are used for both tiers (just that depending on which you're doing, your level of content for answers are different). On the photocards, the '!' represents (what should be) the surprise questions and on the role plays the '?' represents where you must ask a question relating to the answer next to it, and the '!' also stands for the surprise questions.
    thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for the gcse french? Secondly, does anyone know any good resources which have all the french grammer we need to know?

ReputationRep:
    I’m feeling nervous about these exams. Particularly the speaking exam and the listening exam. Those two components are what I generally struggle with. Despite that, I’ve somehow managed to get 7s in my mocks.

Although, my class has finished all the modules and we’re currently re-revising structures and all the key points in each module. Throughout the year, we’ve been practicing our speaking skills with a native French assistant and after the holidays we’re attending a conference about exam techniques.

Do you guys use Quizlet? I find it helpful for learning vocabulary and structures.

ReputationRep:
    Also, has your school set dates for the speaking exam?

Mine is on Friday 4th May.

ReputationRep:
    My speaking exam is on either the 8th or 9th of May!

ReputationRep:
    My speaking exam is on either the 8th or 9th of May!
    They’re all fast approaching! It’s frightening how time passes so quickly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for the gcse french? Secondly, does anyone know any good resources which have all the french grammer we need to know?
    revise vocabulary particularly words that are not cognates.
    memrise, quizlet + duolingo are good resources.

(Original post by apostasies)
    I’m feeling nervous about these exams. Particularly the speaking exam and the listening exam. Those two components are what I generally struggle with. Despite that, I’ve somehow managed to get 7s in my mocks.

Although, my class has finished all the modules and we’re currently re-revising structures and all the key points in each module. Throughout the year, we’ve been practicing our speaking skills with a native French assistant and after the holidays we’re attending a conference about exam techniques.

Do you guys use Quizlet? I find it helpful for learning vocabulary and structures.
    (Original post by apostasies)
    Also, has your school set dates for the speaking exam?

Mine is on Friday 4th May.
    7s are amazing! and i also find quizlet really helpful
    yeah i think my speaking exams are in april

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    7s are amazing! and i also find quizlet really helpful
    yeah i think my speaking exams are in april
    Thanks! Yeah. It’s honestly been a lifesaver for me.

Oh no. That’s so soon. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly nervous for the French exams. I'm a bit worried about Reading and Listening, but feeling okay about the Speaking and Writing. I've been getting 7s in my mocks, so I'm hoping to replicate that grade in the real ones.

Also, my Speaking exam is on the 18th of April.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Night Crawler)
    I'm slightly nervous for the French exams. I'm a bit worried about Reading and Listening, but feeling okay about the Speaking and Writing. I've been getting 7s in my mocks, so I'm hoping to replicate that grade in the real ones.

Also, my Speaking exam is on the 18th of April.
    If you don’t mind me asking, why are you worried about the reading exam?

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.