Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate Masters Loan eligibility for students living out of UK watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm interested in studying an MA next year but I'm currently living in Canada on a working holiday visa. When I come back to the UK, I will have been living away from the UK for a total of 2 years.

The student loans website states the following:

You can get the Postgraduate Master’s Loan if all of the following apply:

- you’re a UK or EU national, or have ‘settled status’, so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay
    - you normally live in England, and didn’t move there just to study
    - you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

Does the last point mean that I would be ineligible for the loan?

Just looking for some clarification. Fingers crossed, thanks in advance for any help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by biscuiteyes)
    Hello,

I'm interested in studying an MA next year but I'm currently living in Canada on a working holiday visa. When I come back to the UK, I will have been living away from the UK for a total of 2 years.

- you’re a UK or EU national, or have ‘settled status’, so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay
    - you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

Just looking for some clarification. Fingers crossed, thanks in advance for any help!
    Ordinary residence excludes temporary stays abroad. If you can prove that you’re in Canada for a fixed period (visa/work contracts) and that you’ve maintained close links to England (a uk bank account, postal address with your parents or similar etc) then you would be considered resident in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Ordinary residence excludes temporary stays abroad. If you can prove that you’re in Canada for a fixed period (visa/work contracts) and that you’ve maintained close links to England (a uk bank account, postal address with your parents or similar etc) then you would be considered resident in England.
    Thank you, that's really helpful!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by biscuiteyes)
    Hello,

Hi biscuiteyes,

Depending on the circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. You will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break.

A UK National who has been outside of the EU/EEA on a temporary break is treated as though they have never left the UK, as long as they are back in time for the course start date then this is acceptable. Thanks Rona

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.