Does Everyone Deserve Respect? Watch

CookieButter
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Feminists/leftist often demand people respect others for whom they are.

Is respect something that should be given to everyone? Or is it something you have to earn?

Ray_Shadows
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i mean i kind of respect feminists for taking a stand for themselves and preaching about gender equality , that respect only goes when they cross the line and do something extreme
username3509752
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Is your life just finding tweets or feminists to get mad at?
AnothaOne
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Respect is earned, as proven by this image:
Spoiler:
Show

Name:  5969B1EA-7535-47B1-96C5-78D75429FF53.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  22.4 KB
VászolySzilvia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by CookieButter)
Feminists/leftist often demand people respect others for whom they are.

Is respect something that should be given to everyone? Or is it something you have to earn?
It's not that hard to treat people as people. Have some decency for your fellow man.
CookieButter
Rep:
?
(Original post by NutsHangingOut)
Respect is earned, as proven by this image:
Spoiler:
Show

Name:  5969B1EA-7535-47B1-96C5-78D75429FF53.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  22.4 KB

lol...this is actually a nice example. In the virtual world you feel gratification when you earn respect...why? because you worked "hard" for something that has value. What value would respect have if it were given out for free to everyone in the virtual world or the real one? no value at all.
robc2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Of course not lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDLIR71Pe0A
munchm_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by CookieButter)
lol...this is actually a nice example. In the virtual world you feel gratification when you earn respect...why? because you worked "hard" for something that has value. What value would respect have if it were given out for free to everyone in the virtual world or the real one? no value at all.
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you got this talking point from Jordan Petersen.

Other than GTA being a terrible example in which you usually commit crime to earn the respect that of others (and also, video games are not hard work), respect can often be unearned. You cannot say to me that you have never had irrational respect for someone before. I know I certainly have - still do - and I sometimes have irrational distaste for others as well. Most of the time, respect is earned, but respect can be really random, and is not just based on the character you make, but also much of what you're born with.

I think your main issue is your desire to put people into extremely large, vast groups. There is more than one kind of leftist, and there is more than one kind of feminist, and not all of them believe that people must be nice to them at all times.

Most people are just saying that they want a fair chance. If you want to go far in life, be respectful towards those that deserve no respect at all. You'll make more friends that way, and they could change for the better.

Or don't. Being an ******** can be fun sometimes.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ryanatk96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Not everyone deserves respect. Respect is earned. If everyone went around mindlessly respecting everyone respect itself would lose all value. Imagine it like printing more currency; the more you print the less valuable is becomes.
CookieButter
Rep:
?
+1

....lol love it! ...logic is universal!!! This guy is honestly starting to grow on me. He likens respect to currency. Its a nice comparison. what value would currency hold if it were given out for free to anyone who demands it? it would hold no value whatsoever. He also notices a contradiction in this whole "respect me for who I am" argument. Respecting people for whom they are and the choices that they make requires you to respect me for whom I am and the choices that I make. It requires you to respect me for not respecting you. Respecting people for whom they are is a self defeating contradiction...lol this guy is genius.
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I feel like this kind of has two meanings. Aren’t having respect for someone and treating someone with respect different things?

Respect = admiration
Showing respect = courtesy, being polite

Respect is more of a feeling while showing respect is action. My answer is yes, everyone deserves to be treated with respect.
shameful_burrito
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If someone shows you respect, you should be a decent human and respect them back. If someone does not, then you don’t either.
CookieButter
Rep:
?
(Original post by munchm_)
Other than GTA being a terrible example in which you usually commit crime to earn the respect that of others (and also, video games are not hard work), respect can often be unearned.
Did you notice the quotation marks around the word "hard" in my previous comment? These imply that I do not agree that its hard work.

In this game you earn respect by committing crime. Do you get respect the moment you turn the game on or do you have to complete tasks to earn respect? You have to complete tasks. This gives the respect value. If it were given out for free, the moment the player logged onto the game it would hold no value. That was my point.

You cannot say to me that you have never had irrational respect for someone before. I know I certainly have - still do - and I sometimes have irrational distaste for others as well. Most of the time, respect is earned, but respect can be really random, and is not just based on the character you make, but also much of what you're born with.
When we give respect to people who do not deserve it our respect is misplaced/wrong, i feel.

I think your main issue is your desire to put people into extremely large, vast groups.
My "desire" is the opposite of this. I want people to be treated as individuals. Each person must earn respect to receive respect. The idea that we should respect people for whom they are is what puts people into large groups e.g. the idea promoted by feminists that all women deserve respect...etc. wouldn't you agree?

There is more than one kind of leftist, and there is more than one kind of feminist, and not all of them believe that people must be nice to them at all times.
They all share a belief in the same fundamental principles. There are many types of Christians. They all without exception believe in Jesus.

Most people are just saying that they want a fair chance.
Thats not what they are saying my friend. They don't want a fair chance. They want people to give them respect for doing disrespectful things. That in your opinion is fair?

If you want to go far in life, be respectful towards those that deserve no respect at all.
My goodness. Respecting people for doing disrespectful things is promoting and encouraging their wrongs.

You'll make more friends that way, and they could change for the better.
How can people change for the better when you are giving them admiration for doing wrong?
JDieMstr
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Give respect to get respect. Simple.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I give a provisional amount of respect to people regardless of any initial factor until they prove one way or the other if I should continue to do so. It's a simple approach that has served me well throughout my life.
andy1andyandy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I believe you deserve the amount of respect you give to others.
shameful_burrito
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I give a provisional amount of respect to people regardless of any initial factor until they prove one way or the other if I should continue to do so. It's a simple approach that has served me well throughout my life.
I hold the same belief.
Anagogic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I hate people that feel entitled look at me crazy 'cause I ain't invite you Oh, you important? You the moral to the story, you endorsing? Motherf*****, I don't even like you.
CookieButter
Rep:
?
(Original post by VászolySzilvia)
It's not that hard to treat people as people. Have some decency for your fellow man.
I don't want to treat people with decency. You need to respect me for who I am. I hope you see the flaw in your logic.
hazmort
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My rule is if they treat me with respect then i have no problem respecting them. Respect is two way system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads