The Student Room Group

Do STEM subjects teach you critical reasoning or only logical reasoning?

For STEM students: do you have any classes which focus on critical thinking?
For Humanities/Arts/Social Sciences students: do you have any classes which focus on logical thinking?
Reply 1
Original post by stellaluna24
For Humanities/Arts/Social Sciences students: do you have any classes which focus on logical thinking?

I didn't really in the early years of undergrad- it was more in my third year where we started on critical appraisal of papers.

Now I'm doing my masters- it is heavily emphasised and expected in every piece of work e.g. did they use the write methodology? did they present their data correctly? was there anything they stated but didnt back up?

In the more translational aspect we've been taught how to critically appraise epidemiological work and clinical trial design. In my diagnosis and treatment module- rather than just learning we do this to treat that we're told to look beyond the molecular therapeutic aspect and consider how this will affect the individual, society, economy and such--but also being able to back this up with data
Original post by stellaluna24

What are you considering as critical reasoning and logical reasoning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending