Turn on thread page Beta

Last male white northern Rhino dies watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Poor critter

Image copyrightAFPImage captionSudan, pictured in 2016, was 45 years oldThe world's last surviving male northern white rhino has died after months of ill health, his carers said.
    Sudan, 45, lived at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya. He was put to sleep on Monday after age-related complications worsened significantly.
    His death leaves only two females - his daughter and granddaughter - of the subspecies alive in the world.
    Hope for preserving the northern white rhino now lies in developing in vitro fertilisation (IVF) techniques.
    Skip Twitter post by @OlPejetaView image on TwitterOl Pejeta✔@OlPejetaIt is with great sadness that Ol Pejeta Conservancy and the Dvůr Králové Zoo announce that Sudan, the world’s last male northern white rhino, age 45, died at Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya on March 19th, 2018 (yesterday). #SudanForever #TheLoneBachelorGone #Only2Left6:47 PM - Mar 20, 2018Twitter Ads info and privacyReportEnd of Twitter post by @OlPejeta
    Attempts to use Sudan to prolong the species with the two surviving female rhinos had failed, and an account was created for him on the dating app Tinder last year, not to find love, but to help fund the development of IVF for rhinos.
    The move won him fans across the world - fans who will now be mourning his death and the northern white rhino's proximity to extinction.
    Sudan's genetic material was collected on Monday, conservationists said, to support future attempts to reproduce northern white rhinos through advanced cellular technologies, using stored semen and eggs from the remaining females, Najin and Fatu.
    The male rhino, who was the equivalent of 90 in human years, was being treated for degenerative changes in his muscles and bones, combined with extensive skin wounds.
    He was unable to stand up and was suffering a great deal in his last 24 hours, Ol Pejeta Conservancy tweeted on Tuesday.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43468066

ReputationRep:
    RIP
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Millihelen)
    RIP
    I still baffles me how we let it get to this stage where for all intents and purposes that particular species is now extinct [bar some impressive sicentific breakthrough] I mean theyre such beautiful creatures

ReputationRep:
    We'll be able to grow these in a lab in the next 50 years so don't fret too much. Also this preoccupationg with saving animals that are clearly out of place in our modern society seems obsessive and irrational to me.

Guess what? I've never seen a white Rhino in person before and I assume the majority of the planet havent either. You say its extinct. I say okay..and?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    We'll be able to grow these in a lab in the next 50 years so don't fret too much. Also this preoccupationg with saving animals that are clearly out of place in our modern society seems obsessive and irrational to me.

Guess what? I've never seen a white Rhino in person before and I assume the majority of the planet havent either. You say its extinct. I say okay..and?
    You know what they say about assuming right?

And I say don't be such a ****?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I still baffles me how we let it get to this stage where for all intents and purposes that particular species is now extinct [bar some impressive sicentific breakthrough] I mean theyre such beautiful creatures
    Remember reading about how they had almost died out back in school, can't believe we're actually at that stage

(Original post by Napp)

Well said! :K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    What?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    such a shame. Humans are so greedy and horrible. Made extinct over their horns, until the last ones was in captivity

will be the next thylacine :sad:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chucke1992)
    What?
    It makes an ass out of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    It makes an ass out of you
    Assuming makes an ass out of you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chucke1992)
    Assuming makes an ass out of you?
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Assume

ReputationRep:

smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)

I don't get why you're upset at me. The Rhino was put down. Blame the zookeepers for not being able to take better care of it.

ReputationRep:
    :cry2:

Just one of many disappearing species (no less sad for that) and part of the living world apocalypse currently under way that will (as a side effect) make it increasingly difficult for humans to survive with a meaningful existence.

To reverse it, we need half the planet at least to be reserved for wildness. Major changes to our lifestyles in the west and significant rewilding even within areas like Britain.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ....And still people deny white genocide

Jk. RIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    :cry2:

Just one of many disappearing species (no less sad for that) and part of the living world apocalypse currently under way that will (as a side effect) make it increasingly difficult for humans to survive with a meaningful existence.

To reverse it, we need half the planet at least to be reserved for wildness. Major changes to our lifestyles in the west and significant rewilding even within areas like Britain.
    You're mad if you think that the world is a worse place than it was previously. How very backwards and crazy of you to suggest that half of the planet needs to be reserved for animals. Population control is actually for the ecosystems and Humans have been doing it for 1000s of years.

Like I said dw we'll be able to make lots of rhinos for you and others in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Can whoever does the 'today on TSR' box change the title to include the word northern? It currently says "Last male white rhino dies" which is of course inaccurate as this story refers to the northern (sub)species.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Haha, and we have idiots in Asia killing elephants for their tusks and using it for their nonsensical rituals. Humans are disgusting creatures, glad I'm not part of them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't get why you're upset at me. The Rhino was put down. Blame the zookeepers for not being able to take better care of it.
    I couldn't give a toss about you - I just said you're being a ****.

'Take better care of it' lol 😂

ReputationRep:
    ....and sadly those responsible will also wipe out the African elephant because their grasp of humanity and love of animals is as warped as the ivory trade demands . To say more would be labelled racist and there is no bigger crime is there ?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.