The Student Room Group

Investment Banking: Should I drop out of Nottingham and go to Warwick?

I'm currently studying Maths and Economics at Nottingham University (fresher) but I have been offered year one entry into Warwick's MORSE BSc. I applied for year two aswell but got rejected :/ . My options are
1. Stay at Nottingham and possibly do a masters at LSE
2. Go to Warwick

If I stayed at Nottingham would I even get an IB intership? I don't have any work experience and apparently it's much harder to get into from a semi-target.
Reply 1
Wouldn't it be better to go Warwick because they hire from their interns and I wouldn't get an intership if I was at notts
Reply 2
Bump- I need to decide today as my housemates for next year want to know if I'm gonna drop out
Reply 3
Oh nice haha, what are you gonna be studying?
Reply 4
Oh that's sick, I might see u there :wink:
Reply 5
Bumpppp:s-smilie:
Warwick is significantly better than Nottingham in things relating to econometrics, stats and mathematics

As a uni Nottingham campus is probably nicer and the city is undoubtedly better than Coventry

But IB's recruit from both, but Warwick is in T1 whereas Notts is in T2
Reply 7
Original post by The Assassin
Warwick is significantly better than Nottingham in things relating to econometrics, stats and mathematics

As a uni Nottingham campus is probably nicer and the city is undoubtedly better than Coventry

Yeah Nottingham has a nice campus and the social life is really good aswell but I might not get into IB lol.
What would you recommend I do?
Original post by Zalvager
Yeah Nottingham has a nice campus and the social life is really good aswell but I might not get into IB lol.

What would you recommend I do?

Tbh go to Warwick. Warwick's rep for IB compared to Notts is going to be greater than any costs incurred from the lesser social life which itself is very good esp. as you have access to Bham and Leam Spa

I am biased though :-)
Prepare to explain to interviewers why you dropped out of Nottingham. It shows a lack of commitment
Had no idea that you were still at notts; my bad for not reading properly

in which case, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it
Reply 11
Original post by rickyrossman
Prepare to explain to interviewers why you dropped out of Nottingham. It shows a lack of commitment

So what you're saying is I should stay at notts?
So what you're saying is I should stay at notts?

Just trying to help you make an informed decision. If I was an interviewer and I knew you dropped out, I'd grill you about your reasons for doing so. notts is a good university, I just don't think there's enough of a difference between Notts and Warwick to justify starting your degree again... Maybe if it was notts and Oxford, but even then I'd think twice. You're essentially adding £9,000 to your loan to upgrade to a slightly, better university. If I was you I'd finish my notts degree and I'd go onto do a masters at Oxford or LSE. (Postgraduate loan means you can go straight from your bachelors to masters)

What looks better on your CV?
Dropped out of Notts
Started again at Warwick

Or
Completed Notts degree
Masters at oxford or LSE

You'll have more networking opportunities at oxford or lse than at warwick btw
I don't have any work experience ........

That is your issue not the fact your at Notts. Going to Warwick won't help much if you have had no relevant work experience or leadership positions on your cv. Quite a few this year including myself have landed spring weeks from Notts and what we mostly had in common was a solid cv and a determination to apply to a large number of banks.

My advice is to try and get some work experience this summer in finance etc and build your cv up for the summer recruitment process.
Original post by The Assassin

Hi what other universities do IB's recruit from apart from Oxbridge & LSE?
Original post by lolarope
Hi what other universities do IB's recruit from apart from Oxbridge & LSE?

harvard
Original post by londonnn
harvard

I meant in the UK
Reply 17
I meant in the UK

Target unis in UK other than Oxbridge and LSE are Imperial, UCL and Warwick.
Semi-targets include Bath, Durham, St Andrews and a few others
Original post by k86754
Target unis in UK other than Oxbridge and LSE are Imperial, UCL and Warwick.
Semi-targets include Bath, Durham, St Andrews and a few others

Is Nottingham considered to be a target uni?
Reply 19
Is Nottingham considered to be a target uni?

semi-target

Quick Reply

Latest