The Student Room Group

Veterinary physiotherapy 🐴🐶

I am currently looking into universities and the different courses available in the vet physio route.
I need some advise on whether or not I should study human physio first and then do a postgraduate course in vet physio or if I should go straight into a degree in vet physio.
What are the difference in job opportunities being qualified as NAVP Vs. ACPAT.? Would I struggle to find work being an NAVP as people prefer the ACPAT qualification?

Also is there any suggestions on where to study and what courses? I am currently studying for A-levels in biology, chemistry and psychology.

Thanks in advance! 😊
I'm not super up to date with this, but speaking to some veterinary physios at the London Vet Show this year taught me that veterinary physiotherapy isn't a protected profession, in the sense that you technically don't need any qualifications to call yourself a veterinary physio.

The only way to be a chartered physio (veterinary or otherwise) is by doing the ACPAT qualification. That is therefore the preferred qualification as far as I am aware.
Thank you 🙂
Reply 3
I am going the alternative route as the human physio did not and does not appeal at all, i also do not understand the necessity to do people first. There is also the course at Nottingham to look at which would put you under a different professional body. From thepeople i have spoken to no one struggles to find work becasue they arent ACAPT. The main benefit going human route first would be that you have always got that to fall back on, Physio in the NHS make very good, steady, money where as VetPhysio are probably going to be looking at going self employed which has many challenges
Thank you very much! That has really helped 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending