The Student Room Group

Work experience

So I’m applying for midwifery this year however I only have 1 week of nursery work experience which I don’t feel will help me at all with my application. I have applied for hospital work placements however nobody allows work experience due to confidentiality:frown: I’m just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere which allows work experience I live in the Derbyshire area. Thank you
Original post by Meglimb
So I’m applying for midwifery this year however I only have 1 week of nursery work experience which I don’t feel will help me at all with my application. I have applied for hospital work placements however nobody allows work experience due to confidentiality:frown: I’m just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere which allows work experience I live in the Derbyshire area. Thank you

Hi, I’m studying adult nursing, but thought I may be able to give some ideas. It might be worth seeing if you can volunteer at an NCT group, mother & baby group or breastfeeding support group. I used to volunteer in a hospital & they had volunteers in maternity, it may vary by hospital, but if you can look further afield & travel there you may find somewhere that does shadowing days. Otherwise volunteering in another department or area of a hospital will be useful & then you just relate it to midwifery.
You could also try local charities, even if it isn’t directly related to midwifery, you can just relate the skills you have gained to midwifery.
If you don’t find anything by the time you go for your interview just talk about working as part of a team, communicating with parents etc. From your experience in the nursery & make it clear you know midwifery is about supporting women & not looking after children.
I hope this helps & good luck with your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending