Can you get into a GOOD uni with a level 3 BTEC?

Watch
Lkedwards
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m taking a level 3 BTEC in Business and want to apply for a law degree at Bristol/Exeter.. entry requirements are approx D*DD and A Level requirements are something like A*AA.. this doesn’t make sense to me because A Levels are a lot harder than BTECS and I’ve heard triple D* is only equivalent to ABB at A Level...Could someone explain this to me???? I’ve also heard unis look at A Level applicants before BTEC applicants... I am on track to getting all distinctions and I AM taking two A Levels alongside my course HOWEVER I wondered if anyone has got into a Russell group with just a BTEC, if so what course/uni??
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lkedwards)
I’m taking a level 3 BTEC in Business and want to apply for a law degree at Bristol/Exeter.. entry requirements are approx D*DD and A Level requirements are something like A*AA.. this doesn’t make sense to me because A Levels are a lot harder than BTECS and I’ve heard triple D* is only equivalent to ABB at A Level...Could someone explain this to me???? I’ve also heard unis look at A Level applicants before BTEC applicants... I am on track to getting all distinctions and I AM taking two A Levels alongside my course HOWEVER I wondered if anyone has got into a Russell group with just a BTEC, if so what course/uni??
Hi,
So many universities will have a BTEC Conversion chart, I know here at Reading we do accept BTEC (level 3) for many of our courses. And these are listed within our prospectus.
Additionally, looking onto the UCAS website many universities list their requirements from BTEC, IB, Alevels on there too.
Given you would like to apply for Bristol/Exeter, I would highly advise viewing their websites/prospectuses as this would give you a clear picture. If this isn't the case, speak to the relevant admissions teams as these will be the best to speak too to advise on this.

I hope this helps, please do not hesistate to ask if you have any further questions!

Tom
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BTEC L3=A level as a direct equivalent:
D*=A*
D=A
M=C
P=E

So D*DD = A*AA

Over 95% of UK unis accept BTEC now, I believe the only one that says outright they don't is Imperial College.

People from my Computing BTEC class ended up going to: Manchester, Bath, Surrey, Kings College London, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, UCL and Southampton - all good unis so its safe to say, yes, you can go to a good uni with BTEC level 3.

If you're predicted the grades and the rest of your application is good (personal statement/references) then you have equally as much chance of getting an offer as an A level applicant, there is not priority given, if you meet the requirements you meet the requirements. When I applied I received 3 offers within 2 days of applying and I applied as soon as I was able to so this would be impossible to prioritise others, because it doesn't happen, apart from the case when maybe a course is massively over subscribed or competitive in which case they may have to make decisions on who to give a place, but this would be on your whole application not just your academic qualifications.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (602)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.65%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (353)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.46%

Watched Threads