The Student Room Group

Hit my head

Out of frustration I kept punching my head on the side and now I think it's bruised/swollen/lump.

There is a hard bump.

Will it go down?

It looks like the side of my head has slightly expanded.
as long as theres no symptoms of internal damage you should be fine (eg headache/dizziness/blurred vision)

if it pains quite a lot, then ice the area and refrain from exercise/sleep and active activities for a few hrs

in future please refrain from hitting your own head and vent in other ways
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Firstly, u should go to the hospital just in case. Head injuries can be serious. And do not fall asleep that’s really dangerous.

Secondly, u should talk to someone u trust who would be able to give u better advice about how to deal with frustration
How are you feeling? If ill, go to the walk-in centre. If not, some ice and rest should fix you right up! If the pain doesn't ease, take some painkillers, if they don't work, go to the walk-in :smile: Hope you feel better soon, and advice: don't hit your head, it hurts
Reply 4
put some ice on it
Reply 5
I meant I hit in on Saturday.

The bump is still there and it's slightly hard.

I feel no dizzyness, loss of concentration, no blurred vision.

I'm not sure if the bump will go down?

As I said there is a noticeable bump at the side of my head.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Out of frustration I kept punching my head on the side and now I think it's bruised/swollen/lump.

There is a hard bump.

Will it go down?

It looks like the side of my head has slightly expanded.

Head injuries are a bit sensitive so it might be worth you getting it checked out (call GP surgery or 111 for advice on that). Otherwise, put a cool pack on it and it should sort itself out eventually. If you do get any feelings like dizziness, tiredness or any other odd symptoms please call 111 because you may have done more damage than you realize. You can look on the NHS website for more information by googling something like "head injury NHS". That should tell you what to watch out for and what to do about it.

Obviously in the long term you're going to want to stop punching your head. I understand it can be difficult if you're full of frustration, but when you're getting that feeling please try to find an alternative. Maybe punching a pillow or drumming on a desk. You could also try relaxation exercise like controlling your breathing, counting, thing of song lyrics etc.
If you're getting times where you're so frustrated you hit yourself I think it would be worth you getting some support like counseling. You can talk to your GP about it and they can tell you what options there are.
It should do! It'll probably just be swelling from the impact. The only concern will arise if it was a dent rather than a bump :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest