The Student Room Group

Choosing a university when you haven't visited them

Hi

I have received 5 unconditional university offers for this September but I am currently in full-time employment and my contract doesn't end until the summer so I have been very busy the last few months and am likely to be until I enrol.

I haven't made my final choice for which uni I want to go to but I am very conscious that the deadline is a little over a month away..Is it it crucial I make my decision now or is it safe to leave it a few more weeks into April? Is there any real difference if I make my choice today or in May 1st?

My other problem is that I only applied just after New Year's and most of the open days have long gone. I haven't had the chance to see 3 out of 5 of the universities who have offered me a spot and none of them have open days between now and May 2nd.

How can I make a more informed decision? I have the course descriptions but that's about it. How can I assess them when I don't have any time to visit them?

Thanks
Original post by tsrquestion484
Hi

I have received 5 unconditional university offers for this September but I am currently in full-time employment and my contract doesn't end until the summer so I have been very busy the last few months and am likely to be until I enrol.

I haven't made my final choice for which uni I want to go to but I am very conscious that the deadline is a little over a month away..Is it it crucial I make my decision now or is it safe to leave it a few more weeks into April? Is there any real difference if I make my choice today or in May 1st?

My other problem is that I only applied just after New Year's and most of the open days have long gone. I haven't had the chance to see 3 out of 5 of the universities who have offered me a spot and none of them have open days between now and May 2nd.

How can I make a more informed decision? I have the course descriptions but that's about it. How can I assess them when I don't have any time to visit them?

Thanks

If you have a chance to visit before the deadline it's a very good idea to do so. Even if they don't have an open day you can arrange to see them on your own.

You can look for students on TSR connect
(edited 6 years ago)
Maybe you can find current students online (here on tsr perhaps) and ask them what their uni is like, also you can see if there's any videos on youtube that'll show you the campus etc. I would definitely suggest visiting, even if it's not an open day, you can just go to the uni and walk around for a bit, get a feel of what it's like. Good luck!
Original post by tsrquestion484
Hi

Thanks

You can visit without it being an open day- either an official tour, or you can wander around most university campuses up to a point without booking anything. Could you take a day or two's annual leave to go and have a look around?

Presumably you chose these unis for a reason, so you'd be fairly happy with all of them? What do you think visiting would tell you about the unis? There might be other ways to find that out online, e.g. virtual campus tours, reading student reviews.

I'd start by making a pros and cons list of each uni- that will at least give you a starting point, and might help focus you on less choices?
I never saw the uni I ended up attending until the summer before I started, after I'd accepted an offer from them and received my results
Yolo ennit

Quick Reply