The Student Room Group

Car Accident Help!

Today I found a note on my car saying I hit someones car then drove off in a panic and their neighbor saw. I haven't hit anyone's car, there's no date so i don't even know which day they're referring to, i park on the same road every day. This note said I should have my parent call them and either go through insurance or pay for the damage, I have no idea what the damage is, or even what car it is, so got no clue how much that would cost. But either way i have no money, i have an old little car with a massive dent in one side so i think its pretty clear i have pretty much nothing in they way of money other than to afford the car itself. I dont know what to do because they are threatening going to the police and somehow no which school i go to, i dont wear uniform so they shouldnt know this.
What should i do?
Are you even allowed to drive if you go to school? Anyway you're probably in sixth form.

I would just leave it. They can't do ANYTHING if they have no proof. So just live your life normally. However if they are threatening you, then go and tell the police yourself, because they are not allowed to threaten you.

That's it. Drive safely
Have your parents call them?

Complain to the police or school?

No details of accident or damage?

I suspect someones pulling your leg
I would contact them direct and let them know they must be mistaken as you haven' been in any accidents. Without proof they won't be able to do anything. Maybe ask the time and place and then you know and can tell them where you were.

Obviously if you might have hit them you should own up and you'l have to find a way to pay.
Reply 4
I've also looked at my car and the only damage is from where a hit the tree, also checked the tree and it's got bark missing where I hit to prove that was what the dent was from. Someone's advised me to hand a statement to the police and to my insurance before this guy, it may be a woman, even does anything. The person who said this used to be an insurance broker. Not sure if this is a good idea or not. Also I know for sure I have one witness and possible 2-3 more all of which I can get to give a statement providing they were actually paying attention to their surroundings and not solely their phones
Reply 5
Also there is some damage in the only place I could've possibly hit another vehicle but that damage is from the tree and there's a couple of scratches following this bit to the dent where I reversed into it. I was turning while reversing so it scraped lightly on the back far side corner and then scratched lightly round the side before fully denting the far side back panel. I'm just freaking out that this may be used against me
Still sounds like a scam or joke tbh :/

You're accused of crashing then driving off in a panic? Well that's simple enough, you either did or you didn't hit the car? there is no possibility of scraping it by accident if they say you drove off panicked. The tree is irrelevant, if you'd hit a car it'll leave traces of the paint.

See this just isn't how you go about things if someones hit your car. if you think they've hit you and drove off, you tell the police and your insurance at ONCE, you don't take it upon yourself to canvass the streets hunting for a car with 3rd hand details from a neighbour to leave a note on it. If you knew who it was to the point of physically finding their car and knowing your a kid and what school ect they would come to the door, like an adult. I reckon someone on the wind up or thinks you're a pushover for some easy £££.

If you're worried pop into your local police station with the note and just ask 'I think someones trying to scam me, does this note look legit?'
i feel like someone’s just scamming you
Reply 9
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Sorry I didn't know there were more categories ☺️
I think it is a scam. If it did happen and they were happy to deal with outside of insurance then I am sure they would have knocked on the door.

I also think it is a bit strange they ask specifically for your parents. It sounds like they may be trying to talk to them away from you to try and persuade them you did have an accident to make them own up. If you hit them you would have known. You cant just bump cars and not feel anything.
you go to the police first. these kind of people are everywhere and live off insurance claims n dat
get the witnesses to put a statement in. dont forget to take pictures off your car and the tree.
xxx
wishing u da best
Original post by Lucia12
Today I found a note on my car saying I hit someones car then drove off in a panic and their neighbor saw. I haven't hit anyone's car, there's no date so i don't even know which day they're referring to, i park on the same road every day. This note said I should have my parent call them and either go through insurance or pay for the damage, I have no idea what the damage is, or even what car it is, so got no clue how much that would cost. But either way i have no money, i have an old little car with a massive dent in one side so i think its pretty clear i have pretty much nothing in they way of money other than to afford the car itself. I dont know what to do because they are threatening going to the police and somehow no which school i go to, i dont wear uniform so they shouldnt know this.
What should i do?

I'd go to the police about it.

Have they left any contact information? If so explain, and tell them you're contacting the police (and forward their information to the police). They can't do anything if they haven't got proof.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lucia12
Sorry I didn't know there were more categories ☺️

I agree with what @StriderHort said. It sounds like a bit of a scam. If you did drive off in a panic, like the note said you did, then you would have known about it. And they wouldnt trawl the streets trying to find your car etc, they would go to the police and/or their insurance. Even if they did find your car, they would knock on the door and speak to you, not leave a note and bog off. They would also deal with you directly (you are old enough to drive, sort it out yourself etc), not try and speak to your parents instead.

Go to the police, explain whats happened and that you think its a scam etc, and let them take it from there. Also let your parents know, so they know whats happening.
Original post by Lucia12
What should i do?

Tbh I think it’s a scam, it sounds quite dodgy to me. You would’ve known if you’d hit someone’s car. And you sound quite sensible enough to leave a note if you did hit another car by accident. Plus, the person should have knocked on your door and explained you hit their car if you really did it.

I’m echoing what everyone else is saying, go to the police and explain what you’ve said to us. Also let your parents know too.

Quick Reply

Latest