Turn on thread page Beta

Richard Dawkins to give away copies of the God Delusion in Islamic countries watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ries?CMP=fb_gu
    Free ebooks writen in Arabic, Urdu, Farsi and Indonesian to become free to download.Thoughts?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If people want to read these books (as shown by the 3.3m copies that were sold) then making it free, theoretically, will/should increase how much people see it.

Whether a good message is being sent is obviously debatable, however people need to understand criticising Islam/ Islamic countries is not Islamophobic. Period. The author should not be labelled as an islamaphobe because he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    An e book is a safer option in some countries. As recent history has demonstrated, publicly carrying a copy of the God Delusion in Bangladesh could be enough to get you hacked to death in the street by an angry Muslim extremist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    Free ebooks writen in Arabic, Urdu, Farsi and Indonesian to become free to download.Thoughts?
    I'm an atheist and highly rate Dawkins ability to explain evolutionary theory but I can't help think this combative approach to religion is ill-judged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    I'm an atheist and highly rate Dawkins ability to explain evolutionary theory but I can't help think this combative approach to religion is ill-judged.
    Yes, because the Islamic religion/ideology isn't in any way 'combative' at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be a tad worried if I was Richard Dawkins doing that. No doubt they'll be some hardliners who wouldn't mind getting their hands on him and doing who knows what!

ReputationRep:
    He's basically doing what those people that give away free Bibles do.

It kind of sucks if you've ever paid for a copy though.

ReputationRep:
    It worked for you. It worked for me. It's worked for millions of others. Are you suggesting that Muslims in those countries are different and won't respond to reason? Or are you afraid the reaction could result in violence?

If the grotesque and diabolical term Islamaphobia has any validity and literal basis whatsoever beyond its intended purpose to smear and discredit the Right, then that would be it right there.

People being **** scared of a violent backlash and mob violence all the way up to people getting machined gunned for offending Islam. That's the real Islamophobia.

(Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    Yes, because the Islamic religion/ideology isn't in any way 'combative' at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    It kind of sucks if you've ever paid for a copy though.
    My first thought! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    I wonder how well google translate holds up for a book size translation, and how well it does it for these languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfolobus)
    An e book is a safer option in some countries. As recent history has demonstrated, publicly carrying a copy of the God Delusion in Bangladesh could be enough to get you hacked to death in the street by an angry Muslim extremist.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:

hey pssst, kid you want some sin?

*holds USB flash drive in hand*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sufyaan65)

hey pssst, kid you want some sin?

*holds USB flash drive in hand*

ReputationRep:
    Judging from the title, this seems uneccasarily. provacative. But all the more power to him, I suppose.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if more people had a combative approach to religion the world would be a much better place.Maybe if someone had said half a millenia ago that it was all ******** then we wouldn't have so many religious nutjobs walking around today.Its this live and let live attitude that makes people think that religious beliefs are in any way valid.They're not.They are utter nonsense and its time people actually said that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    To be honest if more people had a combative approach to religion the world would be a much better place.Maybe if someone had said half a millenia ago that it was all ******** then we wouldn't have so many religious nutjobs walking around today.Its this live and let live attitude that makes people think that religious beliefs are in any way valid.They're not.They are utter nonsense and its time people actually said that.
    If it works, great, I'm just a bit sceptical. What I think Dawkins doesn't get is how religious belief is tied up with ideas of culture, family loyalty, national identity and politics etc. It's not so simple as telling people that their Gods are imaginary and expecting them to fold.

ReputationRep:
    Typical gaytheist acting petty and irritating.

If a religious person gave away copies of their Holy Book he'd be the first to moan about them pushing their beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Might be interesting but I doubt anything will change.If I want to cynical he might be doing it just to promote the book some more but i wouldn't presume to know.

ReputationRep:
    Won't go far, I'm not religious and got stuck on page 1 straight away. His view is as partial as that of religious people.

Won't have the same effect Friedman had the other side of the Curtain, that's for sure.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.