The Student Room Group

Computer Networking and Cyber Security - BSc (Hons) Some Questions

First of all, all of the modules of all three levels look very interesting. However, I am a bit concerned regarding the nature of the modules. I am not particularly good in math and i was wondering whether that would be a problem. I do not want to pick a course in which mathematical skills are of great importance and end up failing.Please if anyone studied let me know if I should pick this course.
Reply 1
Original post by Bill albanis
First of all, all of the modules of all three levels look very interesting. However, I am a bit concerned regarding the nature of the modules. I am not particularly good in math and i was wondering whether that would be a problem. I do not want to pick a course in which mathematical skills are of great importance and end up failing.Please if anyone studied let me know if I should pick this course.

Im guessing (Not a Cyber security student, but Law student) it involves at lot of Math, if I was you I would contact the University directly or search up on Youtube, im sure theres some guides to get through some modules which will ultimately give you some idea how much Math is involved. Its a great thing to study and will only get better (to study and job prospects) in the future! Good luck!
Original post by jdddd
Im guessing (Not a Cyber security student, but Law student) it involves at lot of Math, if I was you I would contact the University directly or search up on Youtube, im sure theres some guides to get through some modules which will ultimately give you some idea how much Math is involved. Its a great thing to study and will only get better (to study and job prospects) in the future! Good luck!

Helloo yeah i try to contact the metropolitan but they didn't give me straight answers i asked them want i need to know and they told me about no sense subject...
Reply 3
Helloo yeah i try to contact the metropolitan but they didn't give me straight answers i asked them want i need to know and they told me about no sense subject...

Thats weird, must just be some office staff. Ask if you can talk to one of the lecturers. Or, as I said search Youtube, I think it will surprise you with the amount of stuff that should be on there.

Cryptography is a very math heavy subject. Networking can be as well (Doppler shift, hamming codes etc...). Do you have a link to your particular course?
Original post by jestersnow
Cryptography is a very math heavy subject. Networking can be as well (Doppler shift, hamming codes etc...). Do you have a link to your particular course?

www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-networking-and-cyber-security---bsc-hons/

Here you are my friend thanks a lot for the assist

Thanks. So...er, there's not cryptography module there which is kind've unusual. If you're being " a glass half full" person that means you won't have to do the serious maths you have to learn for crypto.

There doesn't seem to be anything overly mathematical in that degree. They seem to take a high level approach to some subjects (like networking) where there could be a fair bit of math involved, but there isn't in this case. You are essentially been shown how something works, not why it works (which a more mathematical degree would). As an example, think of a person in an office using MS Word. They know how to use it and all it's functions to type up documents and reports, but they don't know anything about the code that the software is written in, or how it works, or the math behind the code. They only know what they need to get their job done.

Given all that, plus the only math requirement is GCSE level C or equivalent, I wouldn't worry too much. It isn't going to be a math heavy course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending