really upset atm...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Got rejected from all 4 med unis i applied to. Havent even started revising. Scared to tell family about my failure. lost motivation to study alevels.
back2m3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think of potential back up courses you may wanna study since medicine might not be the best option and u might not be as passionate about it
Applepiex3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I just failed an exam as well today so I'm on tsr to troll a bit to feel better!

The thing is, you haven't failed at life yet, only your medicine applications so its all good. You're obviously very determined hence why you applied for medicine in the first place, right?

I suggest you own up to your parents since they will be able to support you and can guide you on what decision to make now. Trust me, you have plenty of options at your door, its not over yet.

Since the game hasn't finished, play it til the end. Ace those exams woman/man! Failure is now but don't let this make you a failure for life.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Got rejected from all 4 med unis i applied to. Havent even started revising. Scared to tell family about my failure. lost motivation to study alevels.
It happens. You have to decide how much you want to be a doctor or not,

If it means that much then you will be determined, get feedback onto why you werent successful and put it right next year in your gap.

In the meantime you will own your studies and revise, because if you dont pass first time then your chances of ever being a doctor are reduced significantly.

Forget the family. Forget the rejections (plenty if the same boat) focus on exams. Dont waste time feeling sorry for yourself.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
It happens. You have to decide how much you want to be a doctor or not,

If it means that much then you will be determined, get feedback onto why you werent successful and put it right next year in your gap.

In the meantime you will own your studies and revise, because if you dont pass first time then your chances of ever being a doctor are reduced significantly.

Forget the family. Forget the rejections (plenty if the same boat) focus on exams. Dont waste time feeling sorry for yourself.
Thank you needed this! Started revising right now XD
Brachioradialis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey buddy. I wanted to study medicine after A-levels and was ultimately unsuccessful. Since then I did a degree in biomed, and went on to study medicine as a graduate (I finish next year). There is always hope.

If this is really what you want to do, fight for it. What you do will be dependent to your situation. Can you resit AS/A2 that's bringing your grades down? Some unis do accept resits. Failing that, you could consider courses which allow transfers onto medicine after the 1st year (beware: you will have to work your socks off and do very well!). Lastly if all else fails, aim for a 2:1 or above and you can study graduate entry medicine

Don't be too disheartened, life is long and this failure is temporary. Worst case you could 'lose' (but also gain lots of other experiences!) 4/5 years out of an ~80 year life. Keep positive
HT2412
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Medicine is such a competitive course that even some of the best face rejection.

All is not lost. I know that Manchester Med school went to clearing either last year or the year before. Admittedly places were snapped up real quick, but there's nothing stopping another uni going to clearing this year.

Focus on getting your grades. If you're committed to medicine that look at making plans for a year out, with as much work experience as possible to strengthen your application. If you get your grades and fulfil your potential, you will be able to work something out.

Sunderland University have just announced they're opening a med school for September 19 entry, so may be more opportunities for Sept 19 admission. It's expected that a few other universities will follow suit, with the government keen for new med schools too open in areas which struggle to recruit medics.

There's also the opportunity to study medicine as a grad, following a degree in biomed or another related subject. Places are likely to appear somewhere through clearing for first degrees which would set you up to study graduate level medicine.

I'm sorry that things haven't worked out exactly as you wanted. It's just a bump in the road, a little set back and definitely not the end of your chances of studying medicine.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by HT2412)
Medicine is such a competitive course that even some of the best face rejection.

All is not lost. I know that Manchester Med school went to clearing either last year or the year before. Admittedly places were snapped up real quick, but there's nothing stopping another uni going to clearing this year.

Focus on getting your grades. If you're committed to medicine that look at making plans for a year out, with as much work experience as possible to strengthen your application. If you get your grades and fulfil your potential, you will be able to work something out.

Sunderland University have just announced they're opening a med school for September 19 entry, so may be more opportunities for Sept 19 admission. It's expected that a few other universities will follow suit, with the government keen for new med schools too open in areas which struggle to recruit medics.

There's also the opportunity to study medicine as a grad, following a degree in biomed or another related subject. Places are likely to appear somewhere through clearing for first degrees which would set you up to study graduate level medicine.

I'm sorry that things haven't worked out exactly as you wanted. It's just a bump in the road, a little set back and definitely not the end of your chances of studying medicine.
Thank you so much guys! Feeling motivated!
bodybuildoprice
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
  • Biological factors, such as genes or brain chemistry
  • Life experiences, such as trauma or abuse
  • Family history of mental health problems
Hopefulone1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
my friend's daughter failed to get into med school, did biomed (through clearing) and then got onto a late starter medicine course, is now a first year doctor.
work on your A levels - start revising now...see what grades you get and then decide if you will retake or do another course.
tell your parents, but start your revision, otherwise it will be worse for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads