Religion (real) Watch

AtomBomb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was raised in a Baptist household but converted to atheism when I was very young, but I am just confused now I have family from all across the christain branches and I can't decide if I should remain atheistic or convert to some form of Christianity. Basically should I remain atheist or convert to some form of Christianity?
theggbydealy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a pretty personal question OP: this is for you to decide.
Why do you want to convert to some form of Christianity? - Is it because most of your family is Christian and you'd feel more connected with them if you become a Christian as well?
You are going to have to have a think about this on your own and really decide why you became an atheist in the first place, and where your beliefs line up, etc.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AtomBomb)
I was raised in a Baptist household but converted to atheism when I was very young, but I am just confused now I have family from all across the christain branches and I can't decide if I should remain atheistic or convert to some form of Christianity. Basically should I remain atheist or convert to some form of Christianity?
Well that depends- do you believe in the basics of Christianity (God, Jesus etc)? If so then some sort of Christianity would make sense- even if it's just your own version where you believe and respect the parts you do, but don't put a name to it. If you don't then really Christianity wouldn't make sense, but you can still follow the message of you like it (love your neighbor, don't be an ass, etc). If you're not sure then you could always explore the possibilities or just decide to be you and follow your own compas.
Religion is a personal thing so it totally depends on you and what you believe.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AtomBomb
Rep:
?
(Original post by theggbydealy)
This is a pretty personal question OP: this is for you to decide.
Why do you want to convert to some form of Christianity? - Is it because most of your family is Christian and you'd feel more connected with them if you become a Christian as well?
You are going to have to have a think about this on your own and really decide why you became an atheist in the first place, and where your beliefs line up, etc.
I do want to do it to connect with family but more so I feel as if I need some faith and humanity itself doesn't provide it all to well. I originally became an atheist because I saw it as the most logical way of thinking because I couldn't prove a god existed.
Carbon_Coffee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just choose what makes the most sense to you. I would argue for atheism, but it just depends on where you think the facts lead you. Do some research and come to a decision, if that conflicts with your family's beliefs then that's fine, if not then that's fine too. Christianity can provide a good community if your church is good and it's nice to feel like there's somebody looking after you, but really if you don't agree with it, it's just gonna create more conflict within yourself. Most Christians are good people, especially here in the UK, and you probably don't need to agree with people religiously to get a sense of community with them.
theggbydealy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do want to do it to connect with family but more so I feel as if I need some faith and humanity itself doesn't provide it all to well. I originally became an atheist because I saw it as the most logical way of thinking because I couldn't prove a god existed.
Do you believe a god exists now, or do you still not believe in the existence of a god?
Also, if you do find that faith will give you that support and connection, then I suppose that becoming Christian/regrasping faith is something that you can do.
dude101010
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
islam.
VászolySzilvia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The key thing is that you have to figure out yourself as to what you believe in. A good place to start would be to get involved with various religious communities and learn about them, get involved in the discussion, etc. Aside from visiting local places of worship you could always visit online communities:

r/Christianity (for Christianity as a whole)
r/OrthodoxChristianity
r/Catholicism

Hope this helps somehow, and good luck on your spiritual journey! x
AtomBomb
Rep:
?
(Original post by VászolySzilvia)
The key thing is that you have to figure out yourself as to what you believe in. A good place to start would be to get involved with various religious communities and learn about them, get involved in the discussion, etc. Aside from visiting local places of worship you could always visit online communities:

r/Christianity (for Christianity as a whole)
r/OrthodoxChristianity
r/Catholicism

Hope this helps somehow, and good luck on your spiritual journey! x
Thank you
W1nst0n
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Stay A True Christian and everything challenging ur faith just ask questions from ur local pastor 🙏🏾✌🏾👊🏾 there’s abs answer to it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads