The Student Room Group

How far is the driving eye test rule for your actual driving test?

I know you have to read the number plate from 20 metres but in the actual test how far do they test you from approximately or an average e.g 25m 27m?.
One of my lesson I asked my instructor to test me and I got it wrong first time but she allowed me to take a couple of steps forward and I got it right.
Its 20m G
Reply 2
I know it’s 20m but do they test u from a greater distance like 25m?
Did they test u from exactly 20m?
Original post by Mickey976
I know it’s 20m but do they test u from a greater distance like 25m?
Did they test u from exactly 20m?

No. They look for a suitably distant car and ask you to read its plate. It is fairly rough and ready. If you cannot read a plate at 30m you should obviously get some new spectacles. This is a very lenient and basic test.
Reply 4
Original post by Mickey976
I know you have to read the number plate from 20 metres but in the actual test how far do they test you from approximately or an average e.g 25m 27m?.
One of my lesson I asked my instructor to test me and I got it wrong first time but she allowed me to take a couple of steps forward and I got it right.

They aren't going to pull out a tape measure or anything. Basically think about how accurately you can judge 20m and that's the sort of situation it will be.
If you had difficulty with your lesson I suggest you take a trip to an optician and get your eyesight tested.
Reply 5
I wear glasses and I have no problems in my lessons. I can see a number plate from 20m but when I told my instructor to test me she went far like 26m. In the real test will they go that far or be a rough estimate from 20m.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending