Masters degree at King's or at Imperial?

Watch
Nik2121
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is my situation: I am enrolled at King's on an MEng program for pure electronic engineering. I am planning on doing my masters degree here and then i am planning to go on and do a PhD if everything goes well. So far, i have been performing well over here so far, which might be an indicator that 3rd year will go in the same manner.
I am planning on doing some volunteering work over here as well (research intern) since i want to have some experience under my belt when embarking for a PhD.

My question is:

Should i do my masters degree here at King's or should i opt instead for Imperial? I know i said i enrolled in the masters course, but assuming i could pottentialy convince them to allow me to change courses, should i continue with King's or Imperial?

My reasons for considering this is that although King's is great, it does feel a little bit like a child's play so far. I hear (and assume it is true) that the material studied at Imperial is more challenging and more intense, but should i actually bother myself to do this since i am planning on doing a PhD? Does it really matter where i do my masters? I'm asking you people since there might be a soul out there who can shed some light on my situation. I am 2nd year right now by the way and plan on finishing my UG degree here at King's.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nik2121)
This is my situation: I am enrolled at King's on an MEng program for pure electronic engineering. I am planning on doing my masters degree here and then i am planning to go on and do a PhD if everything goes well. So far, i have been performing well over here so far, which might be an indicator that 3rd year will go in the same manner.
I am planning on doing some volunteering work over here as well (research intern) since i want to have some experience under my belt when embarking for a PhD.

My question is:

Should i do my masters degree here at King's or should i opt instead for Imperial? I know i said i enrolled in the masters course, but assuming i could pottentialy convince them to allow me to change courses, should i continue with King's or Imperial?

My reasons for considering this is that although King's is great, it does feel a little bit like a child's play so far. I hear (and assume it is true) that the material studied at Imperial is more challenging and more intense, but should i actually bother myself to do this since i am planning on doing a PhD? Does it really matter where i do my masters? I'm asking you people since there might be a soul out there who can shed some light on my situation. I am 2nd year right now by the way and plan on finishing my UG degree here at King's.
First off work out if you can exit with a masters. What are your career plans in the future? I would worry about the masters first and then think about the PhD. Do the masters where the course content appeals to you more.
Nik2121
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
First off work out if you can exit with a masters. What are your career plans in the future? I would worry about the masters first and then think about the PhD. Do the masters where the course content appeals to you more.
I want to go on to do a PhD because my career plan is staying in the academia. Course content is irrelevant, i believe i could manage regardless what i studied as long as it was electronics

thank you for your reply
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to go on to do a PhD because my career plan is staying in the academia. Course content is irrelevant, i believe i could manage regardless what i studied as long as it was electronics

thank you for your reply
Oh hun! If course content is irrelevant you’re really going about this the wrong way and need to rethink. To get onto a Phd program you will be asked about what you’ve studied and how you’ve developed your academic and research interests. Make sure you’ve put the thought required into it.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you are on MEng course, your Masters year at Kings will be covered by SFE. If you leave Kings and go to Imperial, you will have to graduate with a Bxxx degree, and therefore have to fund the Masters degree in another way, as you wouldn't be eligible for the UG SFE funding. It's not a negotiable thing.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you looked into not doing a masters and going straight from BEng to PhD?
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If both MEng degrees are accredited then the content and 'difficulty' will be broadly the same, so there'd be no point transferring.

When you talk about 'masters' are you meaning the MEng or a separate MSc degree after your BEng/MEng?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.15%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
28.19%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (98)
37.84%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.36%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.47%

Watched Threads